Getting "Good Grades"

Cup Lion

I can understand how you feel.

Throughout high school I never once received a mark lower than an A- (80%).

Seriously? Until this last year (which didn't affect my college admission) and A was a 94%; now an A- is 90%. I believe grades should be reflected on a numerical scale. The GPA system has flaws that aren't consistent nationwide.

I really don't know the differences between US and Canadian grading systems, definitely a lot different though. We don't really ever actually use letter grades, but I was just giving the general conversion (A=80+, B=70-79, C=60-69, etc.)

We do everything on a percent scale, which is then converted straight to GPA for anyone looking to go to school in the States.

So, what is considered an A doesn't really matter. I've heard there's a lot of inconsistencies with the GPA system though, hence why I much prefer the straight up percentage scale.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School basically consists of listening to the teacher and repeating like a parrot what the teacher just said using other words. Being a good parrot is about the furthest thing away from intelligence you can possibly achieve. Kids are brain-dead before they even have the chance to enter into society and learn to think for themselves.

I always had good grades at school but I was fully aware I was just playing their little game and making them think that I believed what they said. Most kids are never able to comprehend that and end up believing the BS they were forced to parrot.

School basically consists of listening to the teacher and repeating like a parrot what the teacher just said using other words. Being a good parrot is about the furthest thing away from intelligence you can possibly achieve. Kids are brain-dead before they even have the chance to enter into society and learn to think for themselves.

I always had good grades at school but I was fully aware I was just playing their little game and making them think that I believed what they said. Most kids are never able to comprehend that and end up believing the BS they were forced to parrot.

So gravity is just a [cabbage] thing? Algebra and biology are also [cabbage] too? Unless you explain yourself, I'm just going to think this 'parrot' thing is the cliche 'fight the machine'.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Maybe in elementary and high school... but even then, the students who do very well in advanced classes are the ones who know how to think.

Also lol, any of the difficult (read: math based) post-secondary degrees are all about understanding.

Fight the power, man.

I invite you to take some of the classes I took in high school - maybe AP Computer Science AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, or English Composition. Or you can take any of the classes I'm taking for my degree, like Linear Circuit Analysis, or Microelectronic Circuit Analysis, or Digital System Design.

I guarantee that if you believe any of that is listening to the teacher and repeating like a parrot, you'll fail out shortly after your first exam.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I invite you to take some of the classes I took in high school - maybe AP Computer Science AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, or English Composition. Or you can take any of the classes I'm taking for my degree, like Linear Circuit Analysis, or Microelectronic Circuit Analysis, or Digital System Design.

I guarantee that if you believe any of that is listening to the teacher and repeating like a parrot, you'll fail out shortly after your first exam.

Minor nitpick, but English Composition isn't that difficult, but I digress.

But yeah, Ichimaru, that might apply, for what, up to middle-early high school? Try simple courses like Calculus with Analytical Geometry. Try parroting that, you'll fail before your first exam.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

I can understand how you feel.

Throughout high school I never once received a mark lower than an A- (80%).

Seriously? Until this last year (which didn't affect my college admission) and A was a 94%; now an A- is 90%. I believe grades should be reflected on a numerical scale. The GPA system has flaws that aren't consistent nationwide.

I really don't know the differences between US and Canadian grading systems, definitely a lot different though. We don't really ever actually use letter grades, but I was just giving the general conversion (A=80+, B=70-79, C=60-69, etc.)

We do everything on a percent scale, which is then converted straight to GPA for anyone looking to go to school in the States.

So, what is considered an A doesn't really matter. I've heard there's a lot of inconsistencies with the GPA system though, hence why I much prefer the straight up percentage scale.

An A is typically a 90+. B is anything 80+. C 70+ D 60+ F 59 or below

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Ontario gives letter grades based on what I said. A is 80%.

It really doesn't matter though. I've always thought the letters were pointless.

Why? It tells you how well you did in a class. Which should correspond to how much you learned about a topic, if the teacher is teaching properly.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Minor nitpick, but English Composition isn't that difficult, but I digress.

My English Composition was the equivalent to a college course, an ACP. If you took it at Indiana University, they'd call it W131. Writing a paper that was grammatically correct but lacked substance didn't get a good grade.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪