Can RS use more then 130mb of memory?

Wkw

Is there any way to allow the game to use more then 130mb of memory? I have nearly 750mb of free mem when I play rs.. wondering if it would boost fps.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

You could increase the amount of memory that the JRE can use, although RS may have its own cap I'm not sure.

1.Attempt to run RuneScape and you will see a small Java 'Coffee mug' icon appear in the bottom right of the Windows taskbar (the system tray).

2. Right click this icon and select the 'Open Control Panel' option.

3. Select the 'Java' tab on the window that appears. You should see two panes.

4. Select 'View' under the first pane, which will be labeled 'Java Applet Runtime Settings'.

5. You will now see your installed Java versions. In the fourth column (titled 'Java Runtime Parameters') double click, and you will have a text entry box.

6. Type -xmx128m into the box. The 128 part tells Java to use up to 128mb of RAM instead of the default, which is much lower. To allocate more or less, just change the number.

7. Click Apply and OK, then close your browser (if open) and re-open.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Didn't seem to do anything that I can tell :\

Heap was still 130mb

Well, I always play the game in software mode. It is combination if not liking enhanced graphics and the minimap is brighter in that mode. Game still runs fine in either mode. I have graphics down to lowest.

But one thing really irks me is that Jagex hasn't updated the minimum requirements for the game.

Hi all... While I'm still back on Java 6u6 (and enjoying it) to avoid this "web dev override" nuisance, the following command parameter might lend some help to those of you stuck on the latest (but certainly NOT greatest) versions:

-Djavaplugin.maxHeapSize=###m

or

-Djavaplugin.maxHeapSize=######k

(Obviously, replace all those bloody "#"s with actual numbers or it won't work! Oh, and make sure that you don't allocate more than 25% of your actual RAM with this, or that will cause problems as well.)

In case you're truly curious, this command is part of the Sun Java platform and I read the manuals back when they were up and well-kept. I admit that I don't know if it works with OpenJDK/IcedTea/etc. or how it will interact with the latest versions, so if you actually try this, please post back if it actually punches that "web dev override" in the face? Like many of the rest of you, I'm personally very sick of companies getting carte-blanche access to take control away from the user who actually owns the computer, so I'm posting this purely to provide a possible option to escape this issue. :huh:

~D. V. "It's the user's computer, not the web dev's! Let's return that power, if we can!" Devnull

(p.s.: Again, I'm providing this post as "option-class" information only. Please avoid flaming me. If it really doesn't work, post back so that we all learn.)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)