A few questions regarding Construction

HeeroValentine

After a few years of not playing, I've recently started again on my old account.

I never really had an interest in training Construction, but recently I started enjoying it again.

I noticed I was displeased with how I had build my home and deleted everything and started anew.

Then after building the first floor, I was again displeased.

I have now made a some what building plan, but I have a few questions...

First off here is my building plan for the first and second floor.

I haven't planned out the dungeon yet, but I'm far too low level for it anyways so...

= or || means the rooms are connected via a doorway, otherwise they're only connected via walls.

First floor comes first in the picture and afterwards is the second floor(for position, the quest hall is on top of the skill hall)

[hide]rshuis.png[/hide]

Now my questions are these:

- Is it possible to build above your garden (I think it's not possible, but no harm for asking right?)

- Same question as above but then for the menagerie.

This one I'm unsure about. Because if I cant build on top of it, it would mean I'd have to put the workshop in the menagerie spot,

build the menagerie left of the workshop and put the chapel on the spot where the workshop was.

- What do you think I can improve?

I have a few small notes for this question...

1 - I'm not building a Costume room, because frankly I'm not going to use it unless I can build on top of the garden seeing as it's a one door room.

2 - The combat room is on it's spot because it can easily have another door in case Jagex updates construction with a new room.

3 - Same goes for the placing of the study, cause normally I would've put the bedroom on the end but the bedroom has two adjacent doors.

4 - And I'm not building this house to be efficient, I'm building it to look nice.

Otherwise I would've just build a portal chamber, chapel, workshop and a bedroom for my servant next to the garden.

newlayout.png

I like this, it's practical.

I can't help you with looking nice but pointing you to Tripsis' blog, she has a great house.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Swapping servant bedroom with study would be a good idea in case you ever decide to make tablets.

Edit: Srry just read you reason for placement of study, disregard that statement.

slaykan.png Good Timber does not grow with ease, the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees.

images-1.jpgThere is dignity in suffering, nobility in pain, but failure is a salted wound, that burns over and over again.

While a lot of these setups look pretty great - I think that having an altar + the menagerie right next to the garden is the best idea.

I realize that using a chapel there does suck because it causes a dead end right away - I feel that, it's one of the most important rooms in the house.

While training prayer (may not be very common), nobody wants to unlock two doors every time they go to worship some bones.

However, if you feel that it's not as important as the transition the dining room offers or the teleports you can stick near the entrance - good luck with that!

capt%20kevin.png

While a lot of these setups look pretty great - I think that having an altar + the menagerie right next to the garden is the best idea.

I realize that using a chapel there does suck because it causes a dead end right away - I feel that, it's one of the most important rooms in the house.

While training prayer (may not be very common), nobody wants to unlock two doors every time they go to worship some bones.

However, if you feel that it's not as important as the transition the dining room offers or the teleports you can stick near the entrance - good luck with that!

Aye, like I said it's not really the most skill efficient house I'm trying to build.

Cause otherwise I would've build an extra study, etc...Bit like the first suggestion picture I got.

I'm pretty set on how it looks now, but I still haven't found out if you can build above a menagerie...

:P I'm pretty sure you can't seeing as it looks a bit like the garden.

I'm just going to assume you can't build above it and adjust my building plan.

If you're concerned about building things above certain rooms, why not just build it as a basement instead of a top floor?

I was having the same issues and so that's what I did.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

Hmm that's a good point, but if I ever want to build a dungeon I'm pretty much [bleep]ed :/

Then I'll have to rebuild everything.

If I just build the menagerie on the far west and the chapel west of the parlour it should work.

>_> Sucks I only have 47 construction at the moment though...Waiting for a few extra levels from Tears of Guthix.

Hmm that's a good point, but if I ever want to build a dungeon I'm pretty much [bleep]ed :/

If I just build the menagerie on the far west and the chapel west of the parlour it should work.

>_> Sucks I only have 47 construction at the moment though...Waiting for a few extra levels from Tears of Guthix.

The early construction levels are extremely cheap - so I'd suggest you use the ToG exp on your next lowest skill (55 Dung) which is a much better choice in my opinion.

capt%20kevin.png

Not necessarily, I have a dungeon too but they don't connect. The oubliette & dungeon stairs lead to the dungeon part, and the skill/quest hall stairs lead to the house part.

As a side note though, I'd like to point out that it's actually quite easy to have a house that's both aesthetically pleasing and efficient. You might not think that you need efficiency right now, but it might be extremely useful later on and you'll wish that you had. I did the same thing as you originally, and ended up wanting a whole new, more efficient house later and had to spend a ton of money tearing the whole thing down and building from scratch again.

norriie.png

[Click for my blog]

[hide=Drops & Achievements]

Hunter_cape_(t).gif 99 Hunter: 4/30/09 Cooking_cape_(t).gif 99 Cooking: 6/2/2009 Attack_cape_(t).gif 99 Attack: 6/9/10

Dragon Legs x2 | Dragon Skirt x2 | Dragon Med x3 | Dragon Boots x13 | Dragon Shield Left Half x1

Abyssal Whip x2 | Granite Maul x8 | Granite Helm x2 | Granite Legs x1

[/hide]

You really should use TOG tokens on Dung till 59 cuz that's when the best xp starts.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

You can take a look at my plan here. It's not the most efficient house at all; I tried to mimic how a real house might look

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/User:Drixomanbeta/House

I won't be starting to build seriously as I'm not a mem atm and I'm waiting for them to add some more room to see what kind of adjustment I might need to make

In particular, I don't really like the first row and column on my first floor (ground for you Brit).

You really should use TOG tokens on Dung till 59 cuz that's when the best xp starts.

It's not my lowest skill and I actually enjoy Dungeoneering with my bro, I'm not level obsessed.

You can take a look at my plan here. It's not the most efficient house at all; I tried to mimic how a real house might look

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/User:Drixomanbeta/House

I won't be starting to build seriously as I'm not a mem atm and I'm waiting for them to add some more room to see what kind of adjustment I might need to make

In particular, I don't really like the first row and column on my first floor (ground for you Brit).

:) It looks good, but talking with a few other people is starting to make me doubt my own build plan.

>_> It should be possible to build the most important things on the ground floor near the portal

and still make it look good.

:P I need to make a new build plan.