A quick laptop question

punk4ever

I'm just wondering, from your personal experience, how long does a laptop last? I don't mean the battery, but the laptop itself, if it is well-maintained? I need to get one for university soon enough, and I just want to know whether you think it's worth the money (thinking of spending around $2,000 perhaps). I would like it to last for the four years at uni and then some. :wink:

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

Laptops break so easily. Every laptop that I've owned/my family's owned/my friends have owned have broken down within the first two years. If I was you I'd buy the extended warranty :P.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Depends on the make. If you look after it, you shouldn't have any bother.

I myself am using a 3~ year old Sony laptop as a desktop replacement. Original battery still works, although only for about 30 mins.

Get a good laptop, keep a good laptop.

:wink:

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah, I was thinking either Sony (I've used their products before and have worked for me flawlessly), Dell (not too much experience with them but they have a lot of affordable laptops) or an HP. I would definitely take care of it (I promise! :D).

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

Laptops are fairly good, they last pretty long, if you take care of them...but, they arent the best when it comes to upgading...if you take care of them, they can last you ages...i have a nice monochrome, toshiba, laptop [intel i386 ~66mhz AKA Super Slow] though i dont use it much anymore [nor does my family] it lasted roughly 10 years or so...and still works...

Laptops are worth the money, here's some quick pro's and con's

Pro's

Portable, don't need to plug it in always, you can use it while on the road/rail. ght, easy to carry, very useful to help research in library etc.

usually last fairly long...depending on how you take care of it, and what make it is...

Con's

Unupgradable, expensive, not very powerful hardware wise [but that's not a problem if its just for work]

Resigned From Runescape - Alpha_120 --> Level 69

-ArenaScape-

Join Clan UCORB ~ Rank #5 Clan

Clan members, need something? PM ME!!!

Guest GhostRanger
Thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah, I was thinking either Sony (I've used their products before and have worked for me flawlessly), Dell (not too much experience with them but they have a lot of affordable laptops) or an HP. I would definitely take care of it (I promise! :D).

I have a laptop that is about 6 years old and still working great (as great as you would expect a desktop to be working at 6 years old). Its an HP I believe.

We have a Dell laptop that within a year was in terrible shape. I strongly don't recommend Dell laptops. I believe CompUSA's current suggestions are Sony and Toshiba.

I'm just wondering, from your personal experience, how long does a laptop last? I don't mean the battery, but the laptop itself, if it is well-maintained? I need to get one for university soon enough, and I just want to know whether you think it's worth the money (thinking of spending around $2,000 perhaps). I would like it to last for the four years at uni and then some. :wink:

Well mr. Punk4ever, thats 2,000 dollars should be going on a desktop, not a laptop, but generally, if you have a laptop thats 4 years old, it will be outdated... i am using a company laptop and it's cutting edge, but in about... 1 year, it'll be half of what it's now

Well mr. Punk4ever, thats 2,000 dollars should be going on a desktop, not a laptop, but generally, if you have a laptop thats 4 years old, it will be outdated... i am using a company laptop and it's cutting edge, but in about... 1 year, it'll be half of what it's now

Well Mr. fullmetaboy, i would love to see him carry around a $2000 desktop around his school for school work.

Did you even read what he said? He said he wants it for uni, meaning he will most likely be wanting to take it to classes and if its just needed for school work, which im guessing will be word documents and such, it doesnt need to be a cutting edge laptop.

I suggest you read what is said before posting something that makes you look like a fool. Think before you post next time.

1264cc30.gif

Guest GhostRanger

My 2 year old laptop isn't "cutting edge" I guess...but it still runs like it was bought yesteday. All computers get outdated really quickly.

This is like the 4th useless post you have made bragging about how supersonic your computers are

from what i gather , you have roughly $3000 invested in a laptop , 5 computers out of 12 have $1200 worth of SLI video cards EACH , about $4000 worth of AMD cpu's running those 12 computers , and you're some sort of super network engineer.

Seriously , dont post useless info on this forum anymore

But back to the ACTUAL TOPIC

punk4ever, for school work, which is mostly going to consist of word processing, spreadsheets , printing reports, and internet research , just about any laptop you buy will suit you just fine for the full 4 years you spend at college. As others have said , just take special care that it doesnt get physically damaged (dropping it , etc..)

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear