Tip.It Times - 19th June 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

We're also running low on Did You Know's - so if you know anything interesting, unique or not well known about RuneScape, send me a PM.

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Love the vanity items articles, sums up my thoughts nicely. And yeah I hope its a little preview for eastern lands, but theres a million better ways to build hype than a controversial marketing scheme that everyone hates, but eh, jagex gonna jagex

Bbk.png

Love the vanity items articles, sums up my thoughts nicely. And yeah I hope its a little preview for eastern lands, but theres a million better ways to build hype than a controversial marketing scheme that everyone hates, but eh, jagex gonna jagex

Or Gamestop gonna Gamestop? :razz: They both do this sort of thing all the time as well. They and Jagex would make a cute couple :mrgreen:

I'm not sure how effective it'll be. It may be aimed at people who are on the fence about membership, but it'll really appeal to people who want to keep up with all of the special items, as here in the US, you could get 90 days of membership more cheaply through other means.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

I think the entire Vanity Items idea stinks to high heaven.

It wouldnt surprise me to see this roll out to GameStops around the world, however. They operate stores in Canada, Australia, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Austria, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, Portugal, and Sweden. Rumor has it they will be buying a UK chain soon. I could see Jagex/GameStop milking this Vanity Item cow for months.

But I could care less whether the item has or has not stats / emotes / unlocks music / whatever. My problem is that it further segregates member accounts into classes: those who do business with GameStop and those who do not or cannot.

The entire notion is just wrong on so many levels.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

First Article: Good conclusion, pretty much my feelings on the subject. I completely agree that it was probably a condition within the contract made with GameStop to put that promotional item in. I can only hope as well that it is a precursor to Eastern Lands by the end of the year.

Second Article: Good information to know overall. However, it seemed as if you could not understand why one cannot report people for RWT. Its simple, they could be lying or joking. I could tel you today that I participate in RWT (even though I dont). That means nothing at all. Even if someone claims to be a part of something, there must be evidence to corroborate the story.

I did not read the 3rd article, I hope those who do enjoy it.

wessan.png

First Article: Good conclusion, pretty much my feelings on the subject. I completely agree that it was probably a condition within the contract made with GameStop to put that promotional item in. I can only hope as well that it is a precursor to Eastern Lands by the end of the year.

I agree. This was most likely a concession on JaGex's part to get GameStop US to carry their cards. It's just too bad that a game that has long kept everyone on an even footing with regards to the availability of items has decided to start offering promotion-only items.

They will. Kamykazee has a very descriptive style of storytelling. :thumbup:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I feel the second article lacks a point - it seems to be the RS rules just paraphrased with a short introduction. Mind you, it's still good to shed some light on the rules as I plan to release an article about it in a few weeks.

I liked the first article - but the title could be a little better. It does help raise awareness about JaGex's activities, as they are showing a trend to be more lenient against bots and RWTing, to the point where they are essentially doing so themselves.

As I never read fictionals - I'm unable to comment for the third article. Average week, I'd say.

Second Article: Good information to know overall. However, it seemed as if you could not understand why one cannot report people for RWT. Its simple, they could be lying or joking. I could tel you today that I participate in RWT (even though I dont). That means nothing at all. Even if someone claims to be a part of something, there must be evidence to corroborate the story.

Even now people admit to buying items and levels from gold farmers and are 100% serious. If someone admits to it, a report can be sent and the person can be flagged for investigation. JaGex has logs of nearly everything.

Lol in 2-3 years of bug abusing i've never even heard of someone getting perm banned for bug abuse.

:rolleyes:

Although I do agree that they're terrible at catching bug abusers and banning them accordingly. It takes a lot of public, major bugs for someone to get banned I'd assume.

ipbanedit.png

I feel the second article lacks a point - it seems to be the RS rules just paraphrased with a short introduction. Mind you, it's still good to shed some light on the rules as I'm going to be releasing an article about it in approximately 2-3 weeks.

I liked the first article - but the title could be a little better. It does help raise awareness about JaGex's activities, as they are showing a trend to be more lenient against bots and RWTing, to the point where they are essentially doing so themselves.

As I never read fictionals - I'm unable to comment for the third article. Average week, I'd say.

There wasn't supposed to be a point to it. The rules are extremely vague and I wrote the article to shed some light on them. If you feel the need to critize JaGex's rules, which have remained nearly untouched for all most a decade, more power to you.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

RE: Seriously, Jagex? Vanity Items?

I am not sure I can properly comment on this article without raising my blood pressure just a bit.

I noticed a great many people are bent out of shape simply because this so called "vanity" item is available only to those in America who buy the card via GameStop. Well, to wit, isn't Runefest most exclusive to those in the England surrounds...? Don;t get me wrong, I am sure there are many from various locales around the globe that have attended the last one, and will do so again....BUT, speaking for myself, I will never be able to attend one unless they brought it to North America, no matter how much I would love to just to get the chance to meet some of the developers of the game alone.

So, speaking only for myself...I do not really care about items like this being bought via a pay card from a store. Games all over the net do things like this, and also console games as well. It is no different than Jagex saying "give us a monetary donation and we will give you a fancy item/weapon/armor in the game." They did something like this for the first Runefest with the Flagstaff of Festivities (albeit without any stats, but still a 'bought' item available only to a select peoples).

I say if this is how they want to make their money....it's their company. Mayb if they can make money in like mannerisms, they will stop allowing member account Botting to be so rampant just to get a monthly subscription (yea, I know, cheap shot on my part, but go figure).

I do not see the reason for such an uprising over something as minute an issue as a "vanity" item, when there are far more SERIOUS issues to rise up against Jagex about --- and yet the Community would rather berate them for this, rather than those others.....isn't that a bit 'vain' ???

Just my own opinion...

:mellow:

Taliesyn.png

"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist." ---The Immortal

I am not sure I can properly comment on this article without raising my blood pressure just a bit.

I noticed a great many people are bent out of shape simply because this so called "vanity" item is available only to those in America who buy the card via GameStop. Well, to wit, isn't Runefest most exclusive to those in the England surrounds...? Don;t get me wrong, I am sure there are many from various locales around the globe that have attended the last one, and will do so again....BUT, speaking for myself, I will never be able to attend one unless they brought it to North America, no matter how much I would love to just to get the chance to meet some of the developers of the game alone.

So, speaking only for myself...I do not really care about items like this being bought via a pay card from a store. Games all over the net do things like this, and also console games as well. It is no different than Jagex saying "give us a monetary donation and we will give you a fancy item/weapon/armor in the game." They did something like this for the first Runefest with the Flagstaff of Festivities (albeit without any stats, but still a 'bought' item available only to a select peoples).

I say if this is how they want to make their money....it's their company. Mayb if they can make money in like mannerisms, they will stop allowing member account Botting to be so rampant just to get a monthly subscription (yea, I know, cheap shot on my part, but go figure).

I do not see the reason for such an uprising over something as minute an issue as a "vanity" item, when there are far more SERIOUS issues to rise up against Jagex about --- and yet the Community would rather berate them for this, rather than those others.....isn't that a bit 'vain' ???

Just my own opinion...

You didn't appear to address the problem in your opening statement. It appeared as though you made an analogy between attending RuneFest being exclusive to British people (which isn't very accurate, by the way) to purchasing GameStop RuneScape membership card being exclusive to Americans. The analogy is weak because you're comparing two very different things - RuneFest was a real life activity, a convention, so it's obvious that there would be location constraints, whereas a RuneScape membership card is merely a card that would give an account membership, which should have no location constraints thus should be purchasable anywhere. I do understand why you made the comparison, but it's a flawed reason.

Even if they were similar things, what would that change? It doesn't justify the fact that JaGex is being discriminatory, albeit little 'unfair' advantage has yet to be given. The reason people are annoyed about Vanity items is not because it provides some sort of unfair advantage, but it's because of the hypocritical stance that JaGex appears to have, contradicting their own principles in the process. It's a worrying trend that may actually prove to be game-changing in the future, and people are annoyed at how JaGex appears to shifting towards permitting micro-transactions whilst enforcing the no real world trading rule.

We acknowledge that JaGex is a firm that operates on profit, but to operate successfully, they shouldn't alienate their player-base. If the community rejects the change in attitude of JaGex, then it would be irrational for them to not revise their views.

Addressing the last point you made - I don't think you really got the point. The point was - The change in attitude of JaGex, which seems hypocritical at best, coupled with the fact that the trend may prove to be more damaging in the future, is what appears to anger players. Although there are other serious issues, it doesn't necessarily mean that they should ignore less significant issues like these, as over time, it may become far worse than it already is.

I agree. This was most likely a concession on JaGex's part to get GameStop US to carry their cards. It's just too bad that a game that has long kept everyone on an even footing with regards to the availability of items has decided to start offering promotion-only items.

I do a lot of my game shopping there, and they've had the prepay cards for quite a while now. Jagex isn't the only one that does this either; a card for an Artix Entertainment game has the same kind of offer, but it's different depending on the store (So there's a Gamestop exclusive item, a Best Buy exclusive item [A blue and yellow energy scythe], a Target-exclusive item, and so on).

Still don't like it, but it isn't something new. Fortunately, they haven't hit the point of putting out useful items yet.

Great article!

They also removed the extra membership you would have got off RuneScape cards if you were already paying the loyalty price. It was recently done (they also removed the bit about it in the Knowledge Base) and when I asked billing support (emailed them) they acted like it was always that way!

Real shame tbh

Jibby

about the Advert blocking, i see no reason why we cant hide it. we not actually block it, it is still been download, load and displaying, just that it is behind the game.

they achieved the purpose of advert where advert had done its work of fund the free game, it is just down to last step of displaying it to ppl.

many monitor now is wide screen, and its width is usually short too. we could use all the spaces available.

Ja(gex) stand for gaming experience, while they keep trying to keep the game available to all ppl with with low end pc, even netbook.

but the advert is sometime just too much for the pc to handle.

even though free player not paying but the fact is that, the money gain from advert is much more than membership money,

[hide=OffTopic]therefore member dont always detested free player, free player also deserve to have content

since RS cant exist without both of it[/hide]

I do understand that Runefest is exclusive, hell, it's exclusive to those who can afford the rather expensive ticket prices, cost of travel and accommodation in London. I live in England and it could end up costing me £300 (guesstimate) to go to RuneFest - money I simply shouldn't waste.

Whether or not you care is an entirely personal decision. The thing with the Flagstaff and holiday events, which are exclusive either to money or chance, is that they have NO STATS. I didn't care about the flagstaff because of this, having one ingame doesn't make a difference (frankly, I've never even seen someone be impressed by one, so it really is pointless). The thing about Vanity Items is that they are exclusive WITH stats.

Yeah, it's their company, the same company that has for years claimed that micro transactions will never come to the game. Vanity Items are a prelude to this, I promise you. If they'd never denied microtransactions then it wouldn't be as bad of a thing, but they're lying to us.

Also, if you read the times often you'd know we cover more 'serious' issues often. We've talked about bots until we're blue in the face.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Just my own opinion...

You didn't appear to address the problem in your opening statement. It appeared as though you made an analogy between attending RuneFest being exclusive to British people (which isn't very accurate, by the way) to purchasing GameStop RuneScape membership card being exclusive to Americans. The analogy is weak because you're comparing two very different things - RuneFest was a real life activity, a convention, so it's obvious that there would be location constraints, whereas a RuneScape membership card is merely a card that would give an account membership, which should have no location constraints thus should be purchasable anywhere. I do understand why you made the comparison, but it's a flawed reason.

Even if they were similar things, what would that change? It doesn't justify the fact that JaGex is being discriminatory, albeit little 'unfair' advantage has yet to be given. The reason people are annoyed about Vanity items is not because it provides some sort of unfair advantage, but it's because of the hypocritical stance that JaGex appears to have, contradicting their own principles in the process. It's a worrying trend that may actually prove to be game-changing in the future, and people are annoyed at how JaGex appears to shifting towards permitting micro-transactions whilst enforcing the no real world trading rule.

We acknowledge that JaGex is a firm that operates on profit, but to operate successfully, they shouldn't alienate their player-base. If the community rejects the change in attitude of JaGex, then it would be irrational for them to not revise their views.

Addressing the last point you made - I don't think you really got the point. The point was - The change in attitude of JaGex, which seems hypocritical at best, coupled with the fact that the trend may prove to be more damaging in the future, is what appears to anger players. Although there are other serious issues, it doesn't necessarily mean that they should ignore less significant issues like these, as over time, it may become far worse than it already is.

I was merely expressing my opinion...NOT submitting a school paper for grading and such. If you don't like my opinion, fine with me. I fail to see any need to dissect it like you did UNLESS you feel that only YOUR opinions matter and thus should be allowed to be posted here. As far as I read, all views/posts/opinions were welcome on this forum. So, if you do not like mine...IGNORE IT in the future. Sound fair ??? I'm not aspiring to be any sort of writer, or win any kind of literary award. I am just saying how I see things from my own perspective. For me it is not just about microtransactions, but about splitting the game community into those that "can" and those that "cannot" as is the case with Runefest....like with last years speech about the most loyal and devote being those that were in attendence, etc. I don;t really go in for much on microtransactions because I play other games where such things are commonplace, and bought right from the game itself via a "store". So, forgive me for making my own analogy fit to how "I" felt, and not how "you" believe it should have been portrayed, but it is MY opinions that I was stating....true?

I also understood the article, and did NOT disagree with the author on his views (nor did I even give a hint that I disagreed with the article). I simply stated how I saw things from MY point of view alone...in accordance with stating my opinion of this recent fiasco or sorts (the Katana). I agree with Jagex alienating its playerbase, but I believe they have been doing this for some time now; this is not the first, imo only.

I was not making "any points" at all, I was merely expressing my own opinions...which I clearly stated in my dialogue. Thus, a dissection is rather moot given that I am not looking to be perfect in my writings. Sorry to disappoint.

Taliesyn.png

"Like Cornelius Agrippa, I am god, I am hero, I am philosopher, I am demon and I am world, which is a tedious way of saying that I do not exist." ---The Immortal

I do understand that Runefest is exclusive, hell, it's exclusive to those who can afford the rather expensive ticket prices, cost of travel and accommodation in London. I live in England and it could end up costing me £300 (guesstimate) to go to RuneFest - money I simply shouldn't waste.

Whether or not you care is an entirely personal decision. The thing with the Flagstaff and holiday events, which are exclusive either to money or chance, is that they have NO STATS. I didn't care about the flagstaff because of this, having one ingame doesn't make a difference (frankly, I've never even seen someone be impressed by one, so it really is pointless). The thing about Vanity Items is that they are exclusive WITH stats.

Yeah, it's their company, the same company that has for years claimed that micro transactions will never come to the game. Vanity Items are a prelude to this, I promise you. If they'd never denied microtransactions then it wouldn't be as bad of a thing, but they're lying to us.

Also, if you read the times often you'd know we cover more 'serious' issues often. We've talked about bots until we're blue in the face.

Firstly, I do read the Times...every issue for the past couple years. I never intended to sound like I was faulting the Times, but rather others that I have doings with in the game itself. Sorry I was not implicitly clear on this part. I should have said RS COmmunity, rather than simply saying community given that the Tip.It community and Rs community are two different entities. I guess I was hoping it would have been understood, but I see I was wrong. And. yes, I agree with you on microtransactions, but Jagex changes their minds like some people change the channel on the television, like their once firm stance on the Wilderness returning, or their staunch stance on Botting, etc. I hope I am making myself clear about this so as to not cause further misunderstanding. I do know there is a "difference" between the items I spoke of, but for me (ONLY), I saw the Flagstaff as a bought item, only available to a limited amount of people that literally "paid" for a ticket, and it was THAT aspect I was referring to, not the part about stats, but more to the point the part about an item being limited to those that "bought" or could "buy" it. NO other inference did I mean to make here.

Yes, I am aware the Flagstaff has no stats, but I believe I pointed that out. I said "something like this" to infer that Jagex has indeed pulled certain "stunts" in the past for money/favour/rating (et.al.), and this Katana is not unlike those (though not EXACTLY the same, mind you). Again, I was not aware I had to be so precise when expressing a personal opinion so as to measure up to critical view. I will, however, take note should I ever decide to express a personal opinion in the future, for sure.

And, I agree, that perhaps, indeed, this Katana is a prelude to what is to come. Like many online games being played today, maybe one day Jagex might even open their own "store" for buying items, and whatnot, just to stop some from getting scammed by buying them on other, more dubious sites. And I say this ONLY as a matter of personal thought/belief/opinion...NOT as some sort of fact or statement of truth, etc. Okay?

As I said, in the future, should I feel the need to express a personal opinion about something I read, I will either be far more precise and particualar in how I word it, as though I were submitting a paper for grading, or I simply will keep my opinion to myself. Apologies for not being a literary scholar of sorts, and for any misunderstanding.

Taliesyn.png

Firstly, I do read the Times...every issue for the past couple years. I never intended to sound like I was faulting the Times, but rather others that I have doings with in the game itself. Sorry I was not implicitly clear on this part. I should have said RS COmmunity, rather than simply saying community given that the Tip.It community and Rs community are two different entities. I guess I was hoping it would have been understood, but I see I was wrong. And. yes, I agree with you on microtransactions, but Jagex changes their minds like some people change the channel on the television, like their once firm stance on the Wilderness returning, or their staunch stance on Botting, etc. I hope I am making myself clear about this so as to not cause further misunderstanding. I do know there is a "difference" between the items I spoke of, but for me (ONLY), I saw the Flagstaff as a bought item, only available to a limited amount of people that literally "paid" for a ticket, and it was THAT aspect I was referring to, not the part about stats, but more to the point the part about an item being limited to those that "bought" or could "buy" it. NO other inference did I mean to make here.

Yes, I am aware the Flagstaff has no stats, but I believe I pointed that out. I said "something like this" to infer that Jagex has indeed pulled certain "stunts" in the past for money/favour/rating (et.al.), and this Katana is not unlike those (though not EXACTLY the same, mind you). Again, I was not aware I had to be so precise when expressing a personal opinion so as to measure up to critical view. I will, however, take note should I ever decide to express a personal opinion in the future, for sure.

And, I agree, that perhaps, indeed, this Katana is a prelude to what is to come. Like many online games being played today, maybe one day Jagex might even open their own "store" for buying items, and whatnot, just to stop some from getting scammed by buying them on other, more dubious sites. And I say this ONLY as a matter of personal thought/belief/opinion...NOT as some sort of fact or statement of truth, etc. Okay?

As I said, in the future, should I feel the need to express a personal opinion about something I read, I will either be far more precise and particualar in how I word it, as though I were submitting a paper for grading, or I simply will keep my opinion to myself. Apologies for not being a literary scholar of sorts, and for any misunderstanding.

You weren't the only one to see the flagstaff as a bought item, and some people may have just gone out to get the flagstaff, but I'm not too bothered without the stats. Just like how they're marketing the katana as getting membership with 'added benefits', getting a runefest ticket is like getting a ticket with 'added benefits'.

I'm not measuring you up to critical view, just responding to your viewpoints as I perceive them. I'm hardly the most cut-throat poster on these forums, some people thrive on arguing in detail (I don't), but it only takes a moment to correct someone if they've mistaken what you've said. Acting sorry for yourself doesn't garner any sympathy. If I've interpreted you incorrectly then I'm sorry, but I'm only reading what you wrote. There's been a lot of positive feedback on my article this week so the chance to discuss the article with someone who doesn't agree is something I felt like *shrug*. Discussion is no fun if everyone agrees.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

You weren't the only one to see the flagstaff as a bought item, and some people may have just gone out to get the flagstaff, but I'm not too bothered without the stats. Just like how they're marketing the katana as getting membership with 'added benefits', getting a runefest ticket is like getting a ticket with 'added benefits'.

I'm not measuring you up to critical view, just responding to your viewpoints as I perceive them. I'm hardly the most cut-throat poster on these forums, some people thrive on arguing in detail (I don't), but it only takes a moment to correct someone if they've mistaken what you've said. Acting sorry for yourself doesn't garner any sympathy. If I've interpreted you incorrectly then I'm sorry, but I'm only reading what you wrote. There's been a lot of positive feedback on my article this week so the chance to discuss the article with someone who doesn't agree is something I felt like *shrug*. Discussion is no fun if everyone agrees.

No problem there, I do not feel the least bit sorry for expressing my opinion. I may have carried some added baggage into the conversation from being 'knit picked' about expressing an "opinion". For that, a;one, apologies.

I thought the article was a great read. It gave me me reason to reply. However, I should have been more concise with how I expressed my opinion, since it gave more than just you a definite misunderstanding of what I was saying.

I do not agree, totally, with Jagex allowing an item with stats to be bought as part of a "promotional" campaign. However, I do not totally disagree with it either. I simply think that Jagex should be more "upfront" with the playerbase as a whole, rather than how they have been acting of late. They are now claiming that this Katana "might" be available to more peoples in the future. But who is to really say?

The way "I" see things progressing, Jagex is simply "testing the waters" for something new in development. For instance, perhaps their own "store" like so many other games have in existence. And, this little stunt of their's is somehow a way to gauge the proverbial audience, so to speak. Kind of like how they had their "referendum". I noticed that they tied together the Wilderness AND Free Trade as one item...so if you wanted free trade, you HAD to have the Wilderness as well. It is no surprise so many voted "yes", at least to me it is no surprise. I, for one, wanted free trading brought back, not necessarily the Wilderness PvP aspect.

And, yes, while the Flagstaff bears no stats, this Katana has stats of an Iron 2h. Not a great item for the added cost, imo. But, correct, this is not the "main" point, but rather it being a microtransaction which Jagex declared they do not want to indulge in, yet seem to have changed their view yet once again, this time in favor of who knows what....

And the ONLY reason I call this matter a minute one, is because of the ever growing Macro problem plaguing the game since free trade was reinstated. Most people I talk with no longer even care about it, claiming it keeps prices low, etc., and that players should not care about it since Jagex seems oblivious to stop it anyway. So, yes, I do not make this "microtransaction" fiasco a priority. But that is just MY way of prioritising gameplay for ME. Not for anyone else, and least of all for you.

True, this could indeed lead to far worse things to come. And, sonce it is Jagex we are talking about, it most likely will. But I would rather "buy" items from a legit played game, than have to struggle to get such from a game littered with botted accounts that make more ingame currency than I can with my one account during regular play. See what I mean, or do I need to explain more.?

EDIT: I recall the stunt they did with Runefest 2010, wherein people bought the tickets and received a Flagstaff, but as it turned out, they became free and monies were refunded. This sort of reminds me of that. What if they are just seeing the response? Maybe planning something totally unsuspected at the moment...like the way they emphatically proclaimed NO Wilderness Return for so long, and then suddenly did a complete turnabout.....

Edited by Scotaidh

Taliesyn.png

I simply think that Jagex should be more "upfront" with the playerbase as a whole, rather than how they have been acting of late.

You should have seen them prior to 2009 :P They were alot less upfront and generally very secretive of their intentions. I would say they are relatively transparent towards MOST of their intentions, nowadays :)

Final1.jpg

Discussion is no fun if everyone agrees.

As William Wrigley once said: "If two men in business always agree, one of them is unnecessary."

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I simply think that Jagex should be more "upfront" with the playerbase as a whole, rather than how they have been acting of late.

You should have seen them prior to 2009 :P They were alot less upfront and generally very secretive of their intentions. I would say they are relatively transparent towards MOST of their intentions, nowadays :)

I started playing in 2001. And, the way I see it, they were just the opposite --- at least until somewhere around 2007. They used to post not only what update was forthcoming, but also why. And they used to be a lot more concise on their reasoning for doing something, take for instance the removal of the "old" Wilderness where they stated they were doing so to prevent RWT. credit fraud, and rampant botting. They then reinstate it all back, yet their "reason" falls short of the mark (for me) because they now claim they can deal sufficiently with the problems that first caused the removal...yet many of us can attest that macroing, RWT, and such are just as bad, if not more so, than they were back when everything was taken away. I am only using this as an example because it is so prominent, but there are other, more subtle situations...like why they need to make more News Posts last year for the Golden Joystick Award voting than the year previous (posts that came off sounding like they were begging for votes to some of us)....and why the need for an "incentive" item to perhaps get them the votes this year (those voting maybe anticipating another item for complying).

Then there are, from my own perspective, their reasoning behind the Rule Changes for botting. Their "referendum" fiasco which initially began as a pure farce from my viewpoint, and then turned into a somewhat "biased" vote (which had, of course, far fewer votes than the first system) which coupled free trade with pvp, rather than splitting it to actually best gauge the RS Community's views more accurately (at least that is the way I fell about it).

There are still mre, but some of them can be attributed to "conspiracy theory" rather than anything more concrete, but I believe I have gotten my point across, I hope.

And this doesn't truly say anyting about their real "intentions" since the best anyone can hope for from directly questioning Jagex about a specific matter is something whipped up by their PR Spin Doctors...or you just get referred to a rule, or subsection that has relatively nothing to do with what you are asking in the first place....at least it seems that way to me, and a lot of others I talk to ingame. I actually cringe whenever I hear a Jagex employee comment that they did a certain something or other because they are "in touch" with their community and are doing so for the majority of said. One has to wonder if they are being honest, or are talking on behalf of the spin doctors...you know?

But I respect your view as well. I look at things differently than others, and it may very well be that you are more correct than I am in this instance. So, please, take no offense at what I am saying, as I am offering none. Cheers.

Taliesyn.png

about the Advert blocking, i see no reason why we cant hide it. we not actually block it, it is still been download, load and displaying, just that it is behind the game.

they achieved the purpose of advert where advert had done its work of fund the free game, it is just down to last step of displaying it to ppl.

many monitor now is wide screen, and its width is usually short too. we could use all the spaces available.

Ja(gex) stand for gaming experience, while they keep trying to keep the game available to all ppl with with low end pc, even netbook.

but the advert is sometime just too much for the pc to handle.

even though free player not paying but the fact is that, the money gain from advert is much more than membership money,

[hide=OffTopic]therefore member dont always detested free player, free player also deserve to have content

since RS cant exist without both of it[/hide]

I wasn't going to dignify this with a response, but I can't stand how wrong you are.

First, you can hide ads if you want too, and while it's technically against the rules, Jagex has no way of knowing. I have no clue what you mean by "we not actually block it", but iirc Adblock Plus actually blocks content from blacklisted sites from loading. Most ads only pay if someone clicks them, which few people do (although some pay per view). Even so, there is no way that free players come even remotely close to earning as much for Jagex as members do. A while back Jagex said that they barely break even on the server costs for F2P players, and I assume that has dropped with increased number of servers and the decreased number of players. That doesn't even factor in development costs, which are the bulk of Jagex's costs. Jagex let f2p have a large chunk of Dungeoneering, and you should still be thankful for that.

If your computer is so bad that one ad makes it run slow, you should consider downloading Firefox or Chrome. I'm assuming you use Internet explorer right now, which is the worst browser for older computers.

FInally, Jagex stands for JAva GAming EXperts