Clicking on Links in Posts

This isn't exactly a major issue, just a little one I thought I'd bring up. Whenever you click on a link, it straight away opens up a new tab, which I think is great, because I always do this when I click links. However, what I find annoying, is that it switches to the tab of the link I just clicked. I'd prefer if it stayed on the page, yet opened up the new tab.

I'm running Firefox 3.8.18 if that matters/helps at all.

Cheers guys.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

If you go to your Firefox Menu>Options>Tabs then Deselect the checkbox that says "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" it should change the way tabs function to what you want.

I tested it out, and when you click the link it does indeed open a new tab and switches to it, but if you use the middle-click on your mouse (i.e. pressing down on the scroll wheel, if you have one) it should open the tab but keep you on the current one. I'm using chrome, mind you, so I can't speak for other browsers. You've little to lose by testing it out though.

Might not even be worth mentioning, however, since Hawkxs' solution seems to do the job well enough. It's just quicker to middle-click than it is to right click and navigate the drop-down.

~ Edit ~

Just tested in IE and Firefox - middle click does the job as prescribed.

Signature.... right. Let me get back to you all on that one.

Hmm that's odd I thought changing the option would work but it seems like it doesn't :/

I guess middle clicking is the best solution or one add-on I use is QuickDrag which if you set the proper settings you can drag a link slightly to open it in a new tab without switching over to it.

I think quick drag is the best option to use really. When people post a few links in one post, and I want to open them all, it will get quite annoying having to right click all the time to open them.

Thanks for you're suggestions so far guys.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg