Techy questions

HexiledRazz

Hmm... I really like that build. The case doesn't seem too much different from the coolermaster ones i was looking at. And i like that video card; it was one of the main things i was concerned about due to my graphic-heavy activity i would be doing while still trying to keep it a budget-sensitive computer.

The motherboard is comforting since it's a gigabyte. As much as i would like 4 memory slots, i guess I'll have to sacrifice since I'm at the mercy of my budget.

Everything looks really good; i think this might be my winning setup. Thanks for the list ^.^

I think you can get mATX board with 4 DIMM slots, but those will probably be the more expensive ones.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Don't get me started on sapphire...

I'm working on a build right now, I should be done in a bit.

I've had my Sapphire card now for over 2 years, works fine.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

My 2 cents:

2vl2mte.png

Leaves $100ish for a case as it´s a more personal thing.

Also if you´re a student you can get w7 for around $30.

CPU is a Phenom II X2, cheaper than the quad cores and can be unlocked to a quad core if you have the right motherboard, like the one I included. More details here and a simple google search will provide more information.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Tony's Build

I don't trust the LG drives others have been recommending. I ordered one a few months ago and it arrived dead. Bought the ASUS one I recommended and it works great.

If you don't like the case, you can obviously just choose another. I just threw in the first I came across to get an idea of the build cost. I would personally get a HAF 912.

The MSI card I recommended is amazing. It runs extremely cool, and it's surprisingly quiet.

Maybe you were just unlucky, I've been using LG drives for years.

I was. I still recommend the ASUS drive, though.

Also, I didn't really take a look at anyone else's builds until just now. Askthedude's build is great, except I wouldn't get that PSU/RAM bundle. Cooler Master PSUs have a high failure rate, and you don't need 8GB of RAM.

Also, I didn't really take a look at anyone else's builds until just now. Askthedude's build is great, except I wouldn't get that PSU/RAM bundle. Cooler Master PSUs have a high failure rate, and you don't need 8GB of RAM.

Didn´t even realise I´d put in 8Gb of RAM, my bad. :unsure:

Stick with 4 unless you´re a heavy photoshopper/VM user.

PSU was a tricky choice as I was struggling to stick to budget in my first revisions... With the $100 left over you can easily take out the bundle and get a PSU, RAM and a case.

Edit: Swap out the RAM for this.

ACDC´s PSU should suit you fine, and that leave a decent amount for a case of your choice.

Edit2: Managed a Sandy Bridge build in budget, should be much better than anything that´s not a top end AMD X4 or X6.

2vv5h6a.png

2d26mw.gif

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

PSU was a tricky choice as I was struggling to stick to budget in my first revisions... With the $100 left over you can easily take out the bundle and get a PSU, RAM and a case.

ACDC´s PSU should suit you fine, and that leave a decent amount for a case of your choice.

Edit2: Managed a Sandy Bridge build in budget, should be much better than anything that´s not a top end AMD X4 or X6.

2vv5h6a.png

Just pointing out that adding a copy of windows 7 and a case will bring him to $600+, when he stated that $500 is pushing it.

2vv5h6a.png

Just pointing out that adding a copy of windows 7 and a case will bring him to $600+, when he stated that $500 is pushing it.

I was just about to point that out. That build looks good and all, though adding my OS and picking my own case would make it out to over $600 not including shipping. Whilst right now $520 WITH shipping is pushing my budget a lot.

As of now I'm really satisfied with the build Spork gave me in terms both of cost and part reliability/power.

As for the LG optical drive, i've come to really trust LG products. And if worst comes to worst, it konks out and i have to spend 20 bucks for a new one. The only reason I'm getting one right away is because i need it to install my OS.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

2vv5h6a.png

I was just about to point that out. That build looks good and all, though adding my OS and picking my own case would make it out to over $600 not including shipping. Whilst right now $520 WITH shipping is pushing my budget a lot.

As of now I'm really satisfied with the build Spork gave me in terms both of cost and part reliability/power.

As for the LG optical drive, i've come to really trust LG products. And if worst comes to worst, it konks out and i have to spend 20 bucks for a new one. The only reason I'm getting one right away is because i need it to install my OS.

Bear in mind this is without any combos or any special deals what so ever, it was getting late and I couldn´t be bothered to trawl through Newegg´s site.

If you´re going to go with Spork´s build:

•  
  • Try and swap out the 6670 for the 5770, you won´t regret it.
  • Change the HDD for the samsung f3 1Tb.

2d26mw.gif

2vv5h6a.png

Actually, you don't need an optical drive to install operating systems. The LG drive failed me before I was able to install my OS, so I installed it by USB. Here's a guide:

Guide