Anti-bot idea that could actually work

TTanT

Very simple, instead of random events you get some random questions that appear possibly on a small new screen (that doesn't interrupt anything you're doing and will let you click on the game screen), with let's say 10 minutes timer to answer it. If you don't answer to it right or in time you will be teleported somewhere, logged out or something until you answer it right. There is nothing in RuneScape that you can do, where you don't have 2 seconds in 10 minutes to answer a question that is very simple. And nobody can afk over 10 minutes anyways.

These questions would randomly appear, maybe a bit more often (like every 2-3 hours?) than random events do. You could possibly even have a small XP bonus for answering the question right which stacks somewhere - and you could collect it. Wouldn't make answering a question that annoying. Even when bosshunting, PVPing or whatever you're doing, you always have that 2 seconds of free time to answer a question.

And it really doesn't take that much of work to figure 5-10 new simple questions each day. I could figure and implement them in game in 2 minutes if it was my job.

They could possibly figure thousands of very basic questions and just have a loop, like someone mentioned. :razz:

u5zhkTY.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very simple, instead of random events you get some random questions that appear possibly on a small new screen (that doesn't interrupt anything you're doing and will let you click on the game screen), with let's say 10 minutes timer to answer it. If you don't answer to it right or in time you will be teleported somewhere, logged out or something until you answer it right. There is nothing in RuneScape that you can do, where you don't have 2 seconds in 10 minutes to answer a question that is very simple. And nobody can afk over 10 minutes anyways.

These questions would randomly appear, maybe a bit more often (like every 2-3 hours?) than random events do. You could possibly even have a small XP bonus for answering the question right which stacks somewhere - and you could collect it. Wouldn't make answering a question that annoying. Even when bosshunting, PVPing or whatever you're doing, you always have that 2 seconds of free time to answer a question.

And it really doesn't take that much of work to figure 5-10 new simple questions each day. I could figure and implement them in game in 2 minutes if it was my job.

They could possibly figure thousands of very basic questions and just have a loop, like someone mentioned. :razz:

click to cut ivy and answer the phone and talk for 10 minutes is a method of afk'ing for 10 mins- to solve this the question pops up next time you interact with the game and you get a time limit to answer then

And you dont get 2 seconds free time in a combat zone.

Other than that the idea is good.

Random events already stump newbie bots. Adding additional regulations over the top will only serve to piss off most players. It's near impossible to defeat good bot programmers without making the game a miserable experience for the legitimate users. Ever consider the likely possibility that Jagex does not want to completely eliminate bots?

Anyway, individual choking with a lengthy cool-down won't do much against a massive swarm of bots - Unless someone is willing to waste hours trying to take them all down. Botters simply start new accounts after they're banned anyway. Despite that, I imagine a choking system would work quite effectively against a single bot if the question/answer was changed every day.

Anyway, individual choking with a lengthy cool-down won't do much against a massive swarm of bots - Unless someone is willing to waste hours trying to take them all down. Botters simply start new accounts after they're banned anyway. Despite that, I imagine a choking system would work quite effectively against a single bot if the question/answer was changed every day.

I would spend hours choking bots. Bear in mind that the time limit is from when they get choked to when they can be choked again, not from when I choke someone to when I can choke again (i.e. I can choke bots constantly for an hour)

I would spend hours choking bots. Bear in mind that the time limit is from when they get choked to when they can be choked again, not from when I choke someone to when I can choke again (i.e. I can choke bots constantly for an hour)

I don't believe allowing unlimited chokes on different players would be a good idea, it wouldn't be uncommon to get choked multiple times a day for no good reason. What if one person could only be choked once a day? Botters could easily overcome that by either waiting for someone to choke them, or getting a friend to choke them before they start botting. If the time interval for getting choked was more frequent, say 1 hour, smart botters just have to pay regular attention to their game screen (maybe set an alarm or something), it wont stop them from botting. Especially if they have another computer they can use to log in to the same world with an alt, then choke the botting account themselves every hour. It would hinder bots in general (like overnight ones), but I can see it becoming a trolling issue if it is to be implemented effectively.

What if one person could only be choked once a day? Botters could easily overcome that by either waiting for someone to choke them, or getting a friend to choke them before they start botting.

Please read. That has been mentioned numerous times before and the solution is very very obvious

What if one person could only be choked once a day? Botters could easily overcome that by either waiting for someone to choke them, or getting a friend to choke them before they start botting.

Please read. That has been mentioned numerous times before and the solution is very very obvious

First of all, it was only directly mentioned once, not numerous times. Creating a random interval would indeed make life difficult for a botter, but I still stand by my argument that this system represents over-regulation for little gain while also providing a handy little tool for trolls.

Besides, it appears a choking system would only help kill off gatherer bots - you know, the ones that provide abundant supply of raw materials for everyone.

Besides, it appears a choking system would only help kill off gatherer bots - you know, the ones that provide abundant supply of raw materials for everyone.

Why not skilling bots?

1. Bots fletching, crafting and training magic in a large crowd (like the GE) are difficult to pick out or even notice. People are preoccupied with banking, buying and selling - then depart shortly after.

2. Farming is mostly carried out in isolation. Other farmers you come across probably won't bother trying to socialize, you've teleported by the time they consider the possibility that you're a bot.

3. Firemaking, construction and dungeoneering can be entirely trained within an instance (as you already mentioned)

Then after eliminating anything that involves combat these are the skills a choking system would be effective against:

- Woodcutting

- Fishing

- Hunter

- Smithing (assuming it isn't being trained with superheat item)

- Cooking (although bots cooking in rogues den could remain under the radar).

Here's where it would partially work to prevent bots:

- Thieving (pick-pocket bots, safe-cracker bots)

- Agility (given that other players have access to a particular area)

- Mining (only conventional stuff such as the mining guild. Living rock caverns would remain unaffected due to a combination of way too many people crowding a similar space, legit players needing to concentrate on superheat and the fact that it is a combat zone).

As a side note, don't you think it would harm the spirit of the game if the standard greeting was to choke someone. I'm sure that's how things would end up. This system relies on this sort of behaviour, a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

As a side note, don't you think it would harm the spirit of the game if the standard greeting was to choke someone. I'm sure that's how things would end up. This system relies on this sort of behaviour, a guilty until proven innocent mentality.

Like random events :P

Since we are used to random events I dont think people would mind doing these questions more than once each day and from his examples it looks like they would take as long as a miles random.

Or to fix this 'choking for fun' issue. Make it so that you have to 'buy' these 'chokes'. For say, 100k per. And if the bot fails to do the test, you're rewarded with 100K cash. If not, you waste the cash.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Like random events :P

Since we are used to random events I dont think people would mind doing these questions more than once each day and from his examples it looks like they would take as long as a miles random.

Remember random events used to be MUCH worse, I distinctly recall how frustrating it was getting a random every 15 minutes or so.

I dont see your point.

I'm saying that over-regulation is a bad thing, why do you think Jagex reintroduced the wilderness and free trade earlier this year? Or like I mentioned, restored the time interval between randoms? In this case, choking does not even solve the problem of all bots, yet it affects the entire player-base - not a wise suggestion.

If anything, Jagex should update the random events more frequently, there's no need for a mechanic which isn't automated. Random events are utterly pointless if they're old (just like anti-virus software). Jagex simply has to stay one step ahead by continually rendering the anti-random codes ineffective. It isn't enough to change a few ID numbers within the existing randoms, that is easily addressed by the bot programmers. What's the harm in a few new random events every game update? It would also provide legit players with more interesting content instead of giving them a gun to point at each other.

I dont see your point.

I'm saying that over-regulation is a bad thing, why do you think Jagex reintroduced the wilderness and free trade earlier this year? Or like I mentioned, restored the time interval between randoms? In this case, choking does not even solve the problem of all bots, yet it affects the entire player-base - not a wise suggestion.

If anything, Jagex should update the random events more frequently, there's no need for a mechanic which isn't automated. Random events are utterly pointless if they're old (just like anti-virus software). Jagex simply has to stay one step ahead by continually rendering the anti-random codes ineffective. It isn't enough to change a few ID numbers within the existing randoms, that is easily addressed by the bot programmers. What's the harm in a few new random events every game update? It would also provide legit players with more interesting content instead of giving them a gun to point at each other.

Thats true but if the current random events works would their frequency be too high? If choking someone was allowed to be choked as often as random events occur then either 1 of 2 things would happen.

1. Every gets choked as much as they get randoms now and so nobody is more harrassed than before

2. Suspicious bots get choked as often as they get randoms now but legit players dont get choked as often

So legit players can't lose. Of course there will be maniacs who go round choking everyone in sight to annoy them but someone wearing bandos is less likely to be choked than someone wearing dragon med helm, granite platebody, dragon skirt ect. And someone with the name dfs934thj is more likely to be choked than someone with a non anti-report name

Sorry for abandoning this thread, but life's been a full time job lately.

But I should be posting an updated main idea that will solve every issue anyone could ever find and instantly solve a problem as wideseated and diverse and botting.*

*Okay no it won't.

I am going to be updating the page, but I'd like to get something straight:

1. This will not defeat all bots, and players will find ways around it. There are some very intelligent botters out there, and I don't claim to be able to outwit all of them. If someone cracks this idea, it's up to jagex to patch up the hole.

2. Even if this idea doesn't stop ALL bots, but still stops (for example's sake) woodcutting bots, fishing bots, and hunter bots it would be worth it.

Why? Three skills that are currently impossible to train F2P (or in fishing's case, pointless) will be useable again. I myself desperately miss the spammy jovial community that was once around the Draynor willows.

3. Also, jagex's current methods of fighting bots (making new software to detect them again and again) is far, FAR more costly in development than this.

This, if done right would be maybe a week's worth of programming max that (aside from daily/weekly questions) would cause a huge amount of damage to the botting community.

4. Just updating random events regularly is simply a far less efficient and easy tio adapt to (for bots) method. Generally botting scripts can handle an update by the next day. What do you think that means for making random events biweekly, even?

Also, the money for choking diea is a good one, but one I'm worried about. After all, what if you see a bot but have no cash on you? What if you accidentally choke someone? The possibilities for raging are endless.

I'll think about it though, as the idea sounds promising.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

There's no special costly software to detect bots. My best guess is that they're continually monitoring how long an individual has been logged in and how repetitive their overall inputs are. That way you can mostly likely detect piss-poor bot programs, but it could never detect the proper ones that most people use (unless they glitch up), ones that play similarly compared to a human (check experience, change tabs, shift the camera, mouse speed variation, etc)

Updating random events would definitely require more effort, but it would be a vastly more effective solution to deal with botting as a whole.

Jagex sounds pretty confident about ClusterFlutterer, but I suspect the bot programmers will make a come-back, they'll view it as another challenge. Perhaps ClusterFlutterer will be impossible to counter? That would be nice. The immediate landscape of the economy is going to change drastically, I'm glad I don't play any more :razz:.

EDIT:

Looks like bots are gone for good, excellent job Jagex. They basically prevented bot programmers from finding variable/object types within the client by switching them all to some sort of array.

Jagex sounds pretty confident about ClusterFlutterer, but I suspect the bot programmers will make a come-back, they'll view it as another challenge. Perhaps ClusterFlutterer will be impossible to counter? That would be nice. The immediate landscape of the economy is going to change drastically, I'm glad I don't play any more :razz:.

EDIT:

Looks like bots are gone for good, excellent job Jagex. They basically prevented bot programmers from finding variable/object types within the client by switching them all to some sort of array.

They may have to resort to crappy bots like in early rs days that base their understanding of the game off graphics alone- which leads to all sorts of problems like following green people in the flax fields.

edit: http://puu.sh/7CFz

originally posted by Makaveli

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So Jagex fixed bots, it seems. =D This is my last psot on this thread, assuming that bots are truely damaged heavily by this new system.

I've never been gladder that an idea of mine will be never used. :thumbup:

(Of course, if bots adapt to this I'll be sad and reopen this, but I have my finegrs crossed.)

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Or to fix this 'choking for fun' issue. Make it so that you have to 'buy' these 'chokes'. For say, 100k per. And if the bot fails to do the test, you're rewarded with 100K cash. If not, you waste the cash.

Dis guy has brains

I sense sarcasm lol.

Anyway, this still looks like a good idea to implement. The remaining bots can't be countered easily using this method as I suspect newer bots won't be as flexible as the old ones.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Dis guy has brains

I sense sarcasm lol.

Anyway, this still looks like a good idea to implement. The remaining bots can't be countered easily using this method as I suspect newer bots won't be as flexible as the old ones.

No sarcasm.

Although now I think about it that means noobs cant report and also when someone is afk and dont get the choke screen until they next interact with the game the person wouldnt be able to get their 100k back for a while.