Anti-bot idea that could actually work

TTanT

Basically:

A "choke player" option, or something similar.

Yes I am serious. (Although the name of this option could be changed to "check" or "bot check" if Jagex finds "choke" to be too wantonly violent.)

How it would work would be that every player has a "choke" option along with the trade, follow, and other such options in their right click menu.

When selected a large notification would pop up, which would explain briefly what choking is, and then ask an obvious question*. It would also specify that all answers may only use lowercase letters in their answers, and that no numerals or other characters would be accepted. These questions would be changed daily by Jagex, to avoid bots adapting. These questions would be obvious enough that no Runescaper could get them wrong.

Eg: "What does 2+2 equal?"

"I like cabbage. What do I like?"

"What letter does 'cat' start with?"

Basically, this would make the bot-detection system player-run. This would save Jagex man pwoer being wasted on battling bots with code and such, sicne they'd only need to think of new questions daily (many of which could be aletrations on the basic "I like ___. What do I like?" and "What is the first letter in ___?" formulas.

If a player fails to answer their question within three minutes of being choked, or answers wrongly three times, they will be send to a black room (think the void where banned people used to be sent), and automatically given a high priority report for botting. They'd be released from the room once their report is processed.

To prevent this being abused to harass normal players, I'd suggest that it be unusable in "dangerous" areas, and only useable once every five minutes. On top of this, after a player is choked, they are then unchokeable for the enxt ten minutes, to prevent clans from hounding their opponents.

As well as this, an idle character would be unchokeable, as well as a cahracter who was in their bank. If a player is typing, or performing an action hwoever, they would be chokeable. On top of this, a loud noise would be played when you are choked.

Obviously this solution will not stop things like Frost Giant bots or other bots that operate in dangerous areas. Hiowever, stopping some bots is better than stopping none. Especially since this could possibly make things like woodcutting in f2P Draynor possible again.

Feel free to rip my idea to shreds or glorify it, depending on how many faults you find. I simply request that you try to find solutions to any issues you detect, as it seems that the only way to solve the bot issue is to stop expecting Jamflex to puzzle it out themselves and get on it.

**I have updated this main post to include improvements that were neccessary.**

*Much thanks to sirrofcat for suggesting this idea. May he have many strong children.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you really wanted to, you could prevent a player from doing any actions forever by repeatedly choking them?

Hate to go against the whole "come up with a solution for issues" but really, the afk player is the elephant in the room. I really don't want to play RS knowing that if I go afk for 5 minutes for whatever reason, I could get reported - and more importantly, basically a temp-ban - for, well, being afk. Oh, and some of the worse bots are at places like green dragons, frost giants, tzhaar, etc. These areas would technically be too dangerous to choke someone at.

Hate to be negative but this has too much potential for abuse, mis-identification as a botter, and still leaves us with loads of bots at pvm areas.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

So if you really wanted to, you could prevent a player from doing any actions forever by repeatedly choking them?

No, as you could only choke every 10 minutes.

Hate to go against the whole "come up with a solution for issues" but really, the afk player is the elephant in the room. I really don't want to play RS knowing that if I go afk for 5 minutes for whatever reason, I could get reported - and more importantly, basically a temp-ban - for, well, being afk. Oh, and some of the worse bots are at places like green dragons, frost giants, tzhaar, etc. These areas would technically be too dangerous to choke someone at.

Hate to be negative but this has too much potential for abuse, mis-identification as a botter, and still leaves us with loads of bots at pvm areas.

As for afk players, they're the only issue I I don't have a solution for. Maybe something along the lines of a sound alert or players can only be choked if they're performing an action? (like woodcutting, running around, typing, etc)? Or even both?*

And admittedly this wouldn't stop all botting. Frost dragon bots and such would be immune to this, but it would remove woodcutting bots, autotypers, and other such bots. And as any free player can attest to, those are most definitely an issue.

Better to stop some bots than none, right?

*I actually really like the idea of choking only being possible when an action is being performed, as this would save all afks other than a few like fishing, but a sound alert or just a tad bit of vigilance by the player could prevent those. I'll update the main post if no-one finds any huge flaws in this idea.

Also, I don't see why a bot couldn't be able to click 'no'.

The "No" being a random combiantion of colors would prevent it form being picked up by color censors (I think), and also make it stand out enough for a eprson who is looking for it to find it. And sicne the "No" pops up in a random location on the screen, the bot can't simply click a specific spot. And if bots could avoid it by spam click every bit of the screen, the "No" could even float around (but not so quickly that a player wouldn't be able to click it).

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

[/hide]

"You" could.

But in this day in age, no one ever does anything alone in Runescape.

The "No" being a random combiantion of colors would prevent it form being picked up by color censors (I think), and also make it stand out enough for a eprson who is looking for it to find it. And sicne the "No" pops up in a random location on the screen, the bot can't simply click a specific spot. And if bots could avoid it by spam click every bit of the screen, the "No" could even float around (but not so quickly that a player wouldn't be able to click it).

Bots can react to dynamic situations, such as entering in a pin number. I'm sure it would be able to handle this.

Bots can react to dynamic situations, such as entering in a pin number. I'm sure it would be able to handle this.

I'm not really an expert on bots, but I always figured that dynamic bots were based on ID numbers/ colors. So if both of those varied, wouldn't it confuse the bot?

"You" could.

But in this day in age, no one ever does anything alone in Runescape.

Even a group of ten players could only do this ten times per ten minutes. And the fact that there would be a ten minute wait would make most trolls get bored and give up. As for "choke bombing*" (a group of 20+ players hounding one player), I guess you'd just have to world hop. Although I can't see that being an issue against anyone. After all, since when did random Runescapers ever cooperate? (As for clans, it could simply be against the rules to coordiante mass chokings of a single player, as it would fall under the "harassment" rule.)

*What I will now refer to massive choke spammings perpetrated against a single player.

Sorry if my post rambled, as I'm posting while half asleep.

[/hide]

Even a group of ten players could only do this ten times per ten minutes. And the fact that there would be a ten minute wait would make most trolls get bored and give up. As for "choke bombing*" (a group of 20+ players hounding one player), I guess you'd just have to world hop. Although I can't see that being an issue against anyone. After all, since when did random Runescapers ever cooperate? (As for clans, it could simply be against the rules to coordiante mass chokings of a single player, as it would fall under the "harassment" rule.)

There are hundreds of clans out there with at least 30-40 members. And the most notable and organized pvp clans have upwards of 65 members. And what makes you think anyone would do this on their main? I can easily see a petty clan organizing an event to repeatedly choke an official of an enemy clan because of e-beef. And all of them would get away with it for the same exact reason botting is such a huge problem right now in RS.

I'm sorry, but this idea is doomed at the start.

hzvjpwS.gif

I admire the creativity of your solution, but I still think it wouldn't be enough on its own and could probably be absused quite easily (choking).

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I've brainstormed on this all day and:

To stop abuse of choking is really, really simple. A player can only be choked once every ten minutes. By anyone.

As for bots adapting to this system, I can't fully argue against this as I don't fully understand how bots work. So could someone help explain to me what system they use? Do they use colors, code, ID numbers, or what?

Since colors could be stopped by the "No" being randomly colored, obviously. Code or ID numbers would be ahrder, and would likely require Jagex make the ID number or whatever of the "No" easily changeable from the get go, and then just swap it regularly. However, I don't know if that's possible.

(Also, I've since thought "choking" could be frowned on by Jagex for being too wantonly violent. If so, I propose it be called "checking" or "bot checking".)

I'll update my main post tomorrow to add in the changes I've made, and I'll also look up everything I can on how bots work and such to figure that out. However, I'm not resting until I can make this idea work, or I find that it working is utterly impossible.

[/hide]

To stop abuse of choking is really, really simple. A player can only be choked once every ten minutes. By anyone.

As for bots adapting to this system, I can't fully argue against this as I don't fully understand how bots work. So could someone help explain to me what system they use? Do they use colors, code, ID numbers, or what?

Since colors could be stopped by the "No" being randomly colored, obviously. Code or ID numbers would be ahrder, and would likely require Jagex make the ID number or whatever of the "No" easily changeable from the get go, and then just swap it regularly. However, I don't know if that's possible.

(Also, I've since thought "choking" could be frowned on by Jagex for being too wantonly violent. If so, I propose it be called "checking" or "bot checking".)

I'll update my main post tomorrow to add in the changes I've made, and I'll also look up everything I can on how bots work and such to figure that out. However, I'm not resting until I can make this idea work, or I find that it working is utterly impossible.

How about random questions that are writtien by jagex staff each day?

That could actually be a perfect solution. Jagex would enjoy being able to ask really stupid questioons (just imagine the puns), and if it was updated daily, bots wouldn't be able to keep up.

Questions would have to be obvious of course, though. Like "I like cabbages. What do I like?" And have a disclaimer saying their obvious so idiots don't get themselves banned.

As far as I know, bots can't answer varying questions that are answered via a typed answer, right? (It would have to be specified to never use caps, and to always use numerals in place of the words for numbers, though.)

This is going in tomorrow's updated post, with credit to you :thumbup:

[/hide]

Yes i agree.. OF COURSE the programmers could try and cope with all the questions and include them bot none of them are going to be reoccurring. Hopefully i get some props for this idea. XD

That could actually be a perfect solution. Jagex would enjoy being able to ask really stupid questioons (just imagine the puns), and if it was updated daily, bots wouldn't be able to keep up.

Questions would have to be obvious of course, though. Like "I like cabbages. What do I like?" And have a disclaimer saying their obvious so idiots don't get themselves banned.

As far as I know, bots can't answer varying questions that are answered via a typed answer, right? (It would have to be specified to never use caps, and to always use numerals in place of the words for numbers, though.)

This is going in tomorrow's updated post, with credit to you :thumbup:

:thumbup: Great idea. If only Jagex could see this.

Come support my max total goal here.

Briobe122's 10-step guide to staking:

1. Get cleaned

2. Vow to never stake ever again! (very important)

3. welfare tds and get claws

4. kill glacors til i get boots

5. bandos ffa or more tds til i have around 50m

6. realize that it is far too hard to rebuild using steps 3, 4, and 5

7. give up the vow to never stake again

8. go back staking and make your bank back

9. if you failed at step #8, Go back to step #1

10. if you succeed at step #8, you will eventually feel the need to make money for rich people stuff, have a bad day of staking, then get cleaned anyways

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

They will, but not until I perfect it so they have no excuse not to implement it. Then I'm spamming every mod's cc until they look at it.

[/hide]

They will, but not until I perfect it so they have no excuse not to implement it. Then I'm spamming every mod's cc until they look at it.

Lets single handedly save runescape?

Im creating a thread as we speak.

Heres the link to the thread!

http://forum.tip.it/topic/300175-jagex-guide-to-ruining-botting/

Lets single handedly save runescape?

Im creating a thread as we speak.

I've updated the main post to include all of the changes I've made. Please re-read it and of course tell me any issues that you've found.

[/hide]

I haven't heard many comments on the changes I made, so...

Do you guys think this could work without getting annoying?

As far as I know, a bot can't "think" and figure out the answer to a unique question (well, Runescape bots anyways). So assuming that Jagex was willing to make new questions daily, and so all the neccessary programming to set this in motion, would it severely reduce or even stop woodcutting bots, fishing bots, and any other bots that don't operate in highly dangerous areas?

*If bot makers make a bot formula to detec t a sentence structure Jagex has been using, Jagex can always change its serntence structure as well. Also keep in mind that if this is kept up for several months, botter would slowly start to give up, and questions could be chanegd slightly less frequently.

And Gabe, why would being choked only once per day be considerably betetr than ocne every ten minutes? No-one will hound you long enough to choke you every ten minutes, I think. And even if they do it shouldn't be too hard to stop.

[/hide]

They need to make something so that ordinary players can remove obvious bots from game,I really like this idea,I'm sure jagex knows how bots work and can change questions to that,but we need update like this! Down with the bots

M3DO.png

Mamiću odlazi!

Support. I like this idea instead of trade spamming.

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~