When did we get a wanted Bot around here???

Hello there... as I logged onto Tip.It Forums this morning, I noticed this name that made absolutely no sense to me...

@NewsBot

... and so I am wondering Who, What, and Why are they? I just don't understand this, and would like some clarification, please? :huh:

~D. V. "I think this is my worst chunk of confusion ever..." Devnull

(p.s.: And maybe we might need a sticky about this? Wouldn't mind if my thread was used as the sticky...)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Seems to be an automated news poster so that we no longer have the runescape updates forum a few days behind til an admin remembers to post the new items; guessing this bot checks every few hours grabs any new news posts and TADA!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Indeed.

The purpose of the bot is to automatically post updates, rather than a staff member having to do so.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Seems to be an automated news poster so that we no longer have the runescape updates forum a few days behind til an admin remembers to post the new items; guessing this bot checks every few hours grabs any new news posts and TADA!
Indeed.

The purpose of the bot is to automatically post updates, rather than a staff member having to do so.

Alright, that makes things a lot clearer. BTW, who do we have to thank for this new addition? It had to be a near-mind-blower to add on! :o

A shame that it doesn't include what the update said and that we now have two topics about clan citadels being translated :P

<*checks*>

Hmm... It caught the tagline, which wasn't posted to the other post. But at the same time, it missed the date line. I think we need the bot to be modified to catch all of it in the following order...

• Title
  • Date
    (Probably put those first two together on the same line, eh?)
  • Tag line
  • Main Article Details
  • Patch Notes
    (This last one's an "If Applicable"!!!)

...and then add a link back to the RuneScape website's version(s). Also, if it happens to be possible, maybe it should monitor for the first occurrence of a discussion thread on this forum and make a link over to it, or perhaps create one itself? These would sure make good ideas to implement, even if we had to wait a while for them! :huh: :idea: :geek:

~Mr. D. V. "Who to thank? Hey, now you've got me getting technical!!!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)