[Answered] Running RS and No$GBA

JPMC Mate

Answered.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Not amazingly, but really there's only one way to find out.

Not even this computer can run RS well?

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Not amazingly, but really there's only one way to find out.

Not even this computer can run RS well?

Its specs aren't particularly amazing.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I've had a worse computer downstairs that I posted about earlier and when I played no$gba on it, it would run at 70-90%. Wouldn't this computer run it a bit faster?

azeem1992.png

Would these specs run RS and No$GBA well?

Gateway Profile 5

2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor (2 CPUs)

2046 MB RAM

DirectX 9.0c

64MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card

It runs Windows XP Professional SP3.

I don't know about No$GBA, but I can tell you that you're sort of under-spec for RuneScape. :geek:

First off, RuneScape only runs on a single core. (You can thank Oracle/Sun for that one, I think?) That renders systems above 2 cores partially useless for performance gains with RS. About the only boost you're going to see is going to be caused by most everything that's not RS running on one of the cores while RS runs on the other one of them. The only other positive I see here is that you're running at 2.8 GHz, which might give you a small edge. :huh:

On the other hand, your Graphics Card needs to be a minimum 128 MB of VRAM (any VRAM type will do) for the Hardware-Accelerated modes. Personally, I find that 256 MB VRAM is more the minimum for good performance. But since you only have 64 MB VRAM, I would be extremely surprised if those modes will launch, if RS doesn't block you from doing it at all. :(

I have no idea about Safe Mode performance and running it all with CPU-based rendering, but something tells me that wouldn't be any 'great shakes'... Been too long since I touched on that area. :|

~D. V. "I think you're going to need a better Graphics Card." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Hmm, what is a good graphics card? I have some $ I could use.

azeem1992.png

I don't know about No$GBA, but I can tell you that you're sort of under-spec for RuneScape. :geek:

First off, RuneScape only runs on a single core. (You can thank Oracle/Sun for that one, I think?) That renders systems above 2 cores partially useless for performance gains with RS. About the only boost you're going to see is going to be caused by most everything that's not RS running on one of the cores while RS runs on the other one of them. The only other positive I see here is that you're running at 2.8 GHz, which might give you a small edge. :huh:

The pentium 4 is a single core with multithreading for your information.

Mine has hyper-threading.

azeem1992.png

Any more opinions?

azeem1992.png

Yeah Hyperthreading is what I meant, my bad. In this case I think that getting a better video card would boost your performance a bit, but a new computer as a whole is what you are looking for if you want very good performance. What you have is good enough but not amazing.

Yeah Hyperthreading is what I meant, my bad. In this case I think that getting a better video card would boost your performance a bit, but a new computer as a whole is what you are looking for if you want very good performance. What you have is good enough but not amazing.

RS runs at good speed without lag, and I only play RS and Pokemon Black so just need to know if those work to the point that they aren't horribly slow. Do they?

azeem1992.png

<<<Quote Snip>>>

The pentium 4 is a single core with multithreading for your information.

My mistake, sorry. I totally forgot about the pre-multi-core HyperThread-enabled, Intel P4 CPUs that look like multiple cores. I'm running with only a single-core, non-HT, 2.4 GHz Intel P4 here myself. #-o

~D. V. "My memory has its' limits, so I'll go "D'oh!" now." Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I personally wouldn't even waster money buying a graphics card for that computer. You'd just be pouring money into something that's already too dated.

Yeah, guess this means I can run No$GBA to a point where it doesn't completely make my games unplayable.

azeem1992.png

First off, RuneScape only runs on a single core. (You can thank Oracle/Sun for that one, I think?)

No, http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Thread.html

Uhm... Could you please point out what the hell you're talking about? Just tossing a page at somebody without using the right anchor pointer is confusing and doesn't convey much of anything. :wall:

~D. V. "All I'm getting is noise and confusion here..." Devnull

First off, RuneScape only runs on a single core. (You can thank Oracle/Sun for that one, I think?)

No, http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Thread.html

Uhm... Could you please point out what the hell you're talking about? Just tossing a page at somebody without using the right anchor pointer is confusing and doesn't convey much of anything. :wall:

~D. V. "All I'm getting is noise and confusion here..." Devnull

Karvinen just shot you a page where it states that Java can have multiple threads running at once, which means that a Java application can run on more than one core. You just had to read the first line.

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Karvinen just shot you a page where it states that Java can have multiple threads running at once, which means that a Java application can run on more than one core. You just had to read the first line.

Okay, not Oracle/Sun then, although I thought I had read something about a chain of issues. But I do remember reading on the RSOF that Jagex has been developing RuneScape for only running on a single CPU core at any given time. It might run on what looks like both on a Hyper-Threaded CPU, but I still wouldn't hold my breath for that one. :-k

~D. V. "Better to have low expectations, than to be let down severely..." Devnull

My question has been answered for a few posts. Thanks guys!

azeem1992.png

My question has been answered for a few posts. Thanks guys!

You're welcome. Sorry for the extra chatter. :anxious:

~D. V. "I'll buzz off now." Devnull

I have another question. What would be a better graphics card for the computer for running RS and No$GBA even faster? I can spend up to $60. Thanks!

azeem1992.png

I have another question. What would be a better graphics card for the computer for running RS and No$GBA even faster? I can spend up to $60. Thanks!

What PSU is it running on?

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

I have but one question... What slots (PCI/AGP/PCI-E) do you have in your computer? I can already say that not knowing will result in bad answers. :geek:

~D. V. "Need info before I can help you..." Devnull

You would benefit from a new graphics card, but you have AGP on your motherboard so there aren't many available, let alone any good ones, plus none will be affordable. Next upgrade you make will have to be a full rebuild.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche