KATAWA SHOUJO

Aten

There's gotta be a few anime geeks on here ;o KS is all over rizon/4chan//a/ etc, so I imagine if you lurk any anime boards/forums/communities you've probably heard of it (you've probably heard of it even if you don't lurk :P). Who else is playing? ;o

Follow my road to 5.6/Gold Reaper/True Trim - DAT BLOG

It's been a while since I played Act 1. It's a tad boring at the start since I've played it a few times but I seriously can't wait to play through this. I'm going to just go with my own choices for my first playthrough (first time playing I got Emi, not my fave girl). I'm undecided between who I would rather go for - Rin, Lily or Shizune.

I'm just amazed it's finally out :D

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, played till half on Act 3. Honestly, I am not really that much of the fan of the pictures. But I really like the story so far. It is quite deep and meaningful. And well executed. And it is quite something to think that 21 forum members all over the world collaborated to create something so... well, how to say it. I think even or so would be best. Or complete. Since everything is up to the same high standard.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

One of the great things about Katawa Shoujo is how polished it is. I've played a few OELVN games and they rarely feel very polished and they're often quite short compared to proper Japanese ones. That's of course because it's usually only one or two people working on them. Katawa Shoujo just does it really well. It has taken forever to make though =/

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Only done Hanako's route so far but dear god ;_; I think the bit that got me the most was the classroom breakdown, I was so worried about her. Hanako is somewhat like myself really, I'm shy and nervous and such - though not to such extreme.

I think I'm going for Rin next, she seems like a fun route to go on and I don't think I can handle any more sadness right now :(

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Only done Hanako's route so far but dear god ;_; I think the bit that got me the most was the classroom breakdown, I was so worried about her. Hanako is somewhat like myself really, I'm shy and nervous and such - though not to such extreme.

I think I'm going for Rin next, she seems like a fun route to go on and I don't think I can handle any more sadness right now :(

Rin is so ridiculous/random/unpredictable that I'm almost scared to do her route... I'm not ready for the emotional rollercoaster :S

Know how I said I wanted a fun route?

RIN'S IS NOT THE FUN ROUTE ;_;

Ffs I got the happy ending but I swear to God I was convinced my relationship was spiralling into the abyss. God Rin! Why do you have to give me all these emotions?!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

The reactions on Youtube/KS forums over Rin's route are hectic o.o I guess she isn't a very typical character archetype (unlike fairytale Lilly, shy/yandere Hanako, I-hide-my-pain-by-smiling Emi, and dominatrix Shizune)... I'm genuinely curious now.

Hanako's route was really good, but personally I liked Emi's better. Their routes are kind of similar, but even though there was a lot more teenage drama in Emi's route (hence why most people prefer Hanako, I think), I thought that the flow was a lot smoother. Events connected more cleanly and I actually sympathized with the storyline a lot more.

While Hanako's route was sort of depressing/sad/chilling the entire way throughout, Emi's was the real rollercoaster (@Newbcake whose line was more dramatic, Emi's or Rin's?)... it was very realistic for a relationship. I think there were as many moments worth smiling and laughing through as there were sad and emotional ones... ups and downs the whole way.

Shizune's route is boring so far (and in hindsight, so was Lilly's... much too fairytale/predictable. I think I was just too entranced by the art/music to notice at first :P).

Rin's route isn't like one I've played ever before. It's full of confusion and emotion. Rin is a darker individual than you think from Act 1 and seeing her in other routes.

On Emi's route now - again hoping for fun. Glad that actually getting into a relationship with her is simple enough. Hanako's route is all about the creation of that relationship and Rin's route is understanding wtf their relationship actually is.

Emi isn't as bad as I used to think she was... and it's making me want to go to the gym XD

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

This is the last place I ever expected to see a Katawa Shoujo thread.

Not much of a VN guy, I've played only a 3 appart from Katawa Shoujo, and romance doesn't entertain me too much. (read: at all.)

Regardless, I had played act 1 about a year or two ago, so of course I had to play it. Only did the Lilly route so far, took me like 8 hours. I hear a lot of bad things about the Shizune route, so I'll probably skip that one alongside Hanako's. I'll probably get around to doing Emi's and Rin's some time soon.

16185_s.gif

It only takes me about 3/4 hours to do a route - maybe longer if you factor in the different ends. I do read alarmingly fast though, especially Visual Novels. I haven't really played very many. I've played Higurashi & Umineko, a few OELVN games when I was into VN's a while back, Ever17 and now this.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I guess I'm just more of a slow reader. Doesn't help that I was reading in the living room and would have to minimize it and leave it sitting there for a long time, many times.

16185_s.gif

Not much of a VN guy, I've played only a 3 appart from Katawa Shoujo, and romance doesn't entertain me too much. (read: at all.)

Do you mean you were playing for the h-scenes? Because they were fairly unimpressive =/

Do you mean you were playing for the h-scenes? Because they were fairly unimpressive =/

Not at all. H scenes are probably the worst thing of VNs, and I always get the feeling that they are thrown in just to get a bit wider market. I was playing because I was genuinely curious, and what I've seen so far has entertained me a lot. But in general, I prefer VNs that are plot driven (Saya no Uta and F/SN, yeah, I've only read babbys first vns). The other romance VN I played was YMK, which was my first, so I thought it was cool, but I wouldn't go for yet another romance VN after KS.

16185_s.gif

Higurashi & Umineko are good non-romance VN's but they can be very wordy, Umineko in particular has a problem of having a very slow start despite the fact it gets very epic.

I think there's something a bit strange about when you talk to other people about KS, since I know a few people IRL who play it too. You talk about the characters and your favourite routes and but there's still the thing in the back of your mind that reminds you of the H-scenes and how you've both probably played them - but they are never mentioned.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Higurashi & Umineko are good non-romance VN's but they can be very wordy, Umineko in particular has a problem of having a very slow start despite the fact it gets very epic.

I think there's something a bit strange about when you talk to other people about KS, since I know a few people IRL who play it too. You talk about the characters and your favourite routes and but there's still the thing in the back of your mind that reminds you of the H-scenes and how you've both probably played them - but they are never mentioned.

I'd like to play Higurashi after I finish KS; the anime's first season was okay but its sequels were complete letdowns.

As for KS, the H-scenes are pretty much in the back of my mind... they aren't particularly memorable (except Emi's, for obvious reasons LOL) and yeah, I think they only serve to broaden the target market.

Manly picnics, manly picnics. And Rin's route takes forever.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Rin's route does take forever, and there's so many choices. At least most of the first ones don't effect the good/bad/neutral path selection really.

Finished Emi's route, was quite nice. I was very near getting her bad end but I made the right choice at the last minute and got the good end first time :) Starting Shizune's now, probably won't finish it soon though since I've got a load of stuff to be doing atm. After that it's Lilly's and I'm done! I would have done Lilly sooner but my bf doesn't want me to finish all the good ones before he does :P He's only done Shizune so far.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Shizune's route was quite boring :/ I ran out of weed before finishing Rin's route so I was basically :pokerface: throughout the entire 2nd half of it... I'm not sure if all the OMG RIN OMG hype on KS forums and 4chan is legitimate, or just people trolling (because it really wasn't as bad as Shizune's route).

Emi's route was still the best (but how did I get her bad ending? pfft).

Yeah Shizune's route didn't look to be as amazing as Hanako or Rin but I'll play anyway. I think people genuinely are surprised by Rin's route. I've not delved into reactions too much so far since I don't want to be spoiled on uncompleted routes. Rin's route was far more depressing than I had expected :(

I was one decision away from Emi's bad end. Most of the time I decided not to bother Emi or push her for answers and when I did (at her mother's house) it was a bad decision =/ If I hadn't asked Misha for advice I'd have got the bad ending. I downloaded a flowchart but I'm only using it after I've done the route once, to get the other endings.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Transfered the game over with a USB stick. And damn, save files didn't transfer, so I had to start from scratch. Anyways, I don't know who's path I am on and I am still in Act 1 and haven't finished a single one...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I don't think you can avoid getting kicked out of Emi's house, because she's just an angry little girl like that (but she's adorable anyways <3: )