On Going Bad Runescape Performance

LinovUSA

Hey guys! Thought I would ask why is it that I get 8-15 fps on minimum settings. Here is my notebook specs Alienware m11xR1 A05 Inter Core 2 Duo @1.3Ghz overclocked to 1.73 Ghz 8GB Ram Nvidia GeForce 335m 1056mb (latest best driver) Windows 7 Home Premium. I have tried uninstalling all the java and downloaded and installed Java 6 Update 30. Also, cleared all the cookies and used folders by Jagex. I even set my Java Runtime parameters to -Xmx2500m and have tried giving it a High Priority in task manager as well ass tried the downloadable version. Is there anything I could do to at least get 20-30 on minimum I am not asking for high details but my settings could be messed up somewhere. If you ask my ping I get around 30-45ms at max. Thank you!

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

Hey guys! Thought I would ask why is it that I get 8-15 fps on minimum settings. Here is my notebook specs Alienware m11xR1 A05 @1.3Ghz overclocked to 1.73 Ghz 8GB Ram Nvidia GeForce 335m 1056mb (latest best driver) Windows 7 Home Premium. I have tried uninstalling all the java and downloaded and installed Java 6 Update 30. Also, cleared all the cookies and used folders by Jagex. I even set my Java Runtime parameters to -Xmx2500m and have tried giving it a High Priority in task manager as well ass tried the downloadable version. Is there anything I could do to at least get 20-30 on minimum I am not asking for high details but my settings could be messed up somewhere. If you ask my ping I get around 30-45ms at max. Thank you!

It's most likely a programming error, so it's unlikely that you'd be able to do anything about it.

Regarding the runtime parameters:

-You can't set the -Xmx parameter for RuneScape (browser version), because Jagex has already set it in their HTML page. That setting overrides any user settings. You can check the heap size in the RS developer console, the command is "heap".

-That's more than the amount of memory that can be addressed in 32 bit processes (2 gigabytes).

When you say a programming error what exactly do you mean? Is it an error on my part or just a generalization. I would really like to enjoy the game for once but due to this poor performance it is very irritating and annoying.

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

A programming error would be on Jagex's part. As far as I see, Rs needs a lot of processing power, and your processor isn't really powerful. You usually want a processor with a 2GHz+ speed. It's a shame that they don't update their minimum specs, but even with your specs it should run better. Are you aware of any heating problems with your computer, like random hangs when you do something intensive on it?

A programming error would be on Jagex's part. As far as I see, Rs needs a lot of processing power, and your processor isn't really powerful. You usually want a processor with a 2GHz+ speed. It's a shame that they don't update their minimum specs, but even with your specs it should run better. Are you aware of any heating problems with your computer, like random hangs when you do something intensive on it?

No I do not have any heating problems in fact the m11R1 is know for not having that particular issue. I can run both Skyrim and Crysis 2 at the same time on high detail and have no CPU issues.

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

I have the latest driver that is compatible with my system. I honestly do not know what to do, besides may be buying another laptop may be the m14x with 2.7ghz and turbo boosts to 3.7 Ghz. Also, I do have javaw[Caution: Executable File] whitelisted for Nvidia.

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

As far as I'm aware Runescape's bottleneck is most often memory, not processing power.

Anyways, I cannot give you a lot of advice besides saying that a lot of people(including me) have experienced lag issues recently, especially after the Troll Warzone update. a Jmod said on the rsof on saturday that they managed a partial breakthrough on this issue which hopefully will mean that FPS will improve in the coming weeks.

The only thing I can really suggest is that Min settings aren't really always ideal. Play around with the three modes(OpenGL,DirectX,Software) and with Screen sizes to see which yields the best result for you.

MMOs, including RS, are CPU-intensive, but yes, most slow downs are due to RAM.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

I do have 8 GB of RAM, at least I know thats not the problem. However, I have been playing around with screen sizes and different settings in downloadable version, I was able to get fps up a lil bit but not as much I want to. It is manageable for now.

SIG.jpg

RealOne.png

I do have 8 GB of RAM, at least I know thats not the problem. However, I have been playing around with screen sizes and different settings in downloadable version, I was able to get fps up a lil bit but not as much I want to. It is manageable for now.

Have you tried DirectX? I currently use it and my fps is around 20 compared to 5 with Software mode.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

LinovUSA, pardon my being the 'voice of doom' here, but you're going to need a faster PC. From what I can tell, Jagex is using systems with a ~3.5 GHz minimum (very likely much faster) for their testbed. (In my personal opinion, an unrealistic minimum for their testing, which blocks them from seeing these speed issues because their system is too fast to enable them to notice it.) It's why people like me with ~2.4 GHz are lagging down in the ~5 to ~10 fps (usually less) zone. Put simply, Jagex couldn't keep their code unbloated, and anyone with a system slower than ~3.2 GHz is going to suffer until they unbloat it. BTW, those speed estimates are per-core, and core count doesn't matter due to RS not utilizing multiple cores properly. :(

Before I go, for reference, I survived the Bot Nuke with ~15 to ~30 fps. It was the Dominion Tower (a P2P feature, even though I'm 100% F2P) that took me down finally, reducing me to the state I mentioned in the previous paragraph. I don't know what Jagex messed up, but I hope they fix it someday soon. I can't even properly pop on RS for my friends/buddies and/or the Tip.It Community's Unofficial "HYT" Clan anymore. :wall:

~Mr. D. V. "I got [bleep]ed over by Jagex, badly..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

No such thing as a computer with a 3.5GHz unless it is overclocked. Both my systems are under 3GHz and I have no lag at all (well didn't play since the last update, so I'd have to check).

No clue where you're getting 3.5ghz from. I've played Runescape fullscreen with all settings including AA maxed on a computer with a core i3 and a 5670. Just make sure you are using directx and that hardware acceleration is on.

Already running with 4xAA on a Radeon HD 4650, and tried both DirectX and OpenGL modes. Nothing doing for me, and it literally doesn't matter what graphics settings that I use, as I get the same lag in any configuration. (Heck, it gets worse if I shut AA and some of the nice things off!) As for my estimates, that's from between reading about a dozen issues each of Maximum PC and PC World, followed by having full knowledge of how badly my FPS rate crashed after the Dominion Tower update (a P2P thing, which hit me even though I'm 100% F2P) on an Intel P4 Non-HT 2.4 GHz system. The information was a pain to stack together, but I got some really fast indications of how unrealistic Jagex's Test Bed must be these days. :-?

No such thing as a computer with a 3.5GHz unless it is overclocked.

Eh?

My bad. Still, Jagex wouldn't have brand new high end computers anyway.

You might be surprised. Particularly with the fact that non-gamer-minded investors are now in control of the company, and not people we used to know and like such as Andrew Gower. RuneScape was much better, back when he and his brother (Paul) ran things. Even now, I still wish for those days to come back, because RS was lightning-fast back then. :mellow:

~D. V. "If only the new crew for RS had been better about checking all this stuff..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

• 2 weeks later...
No clue where you're getting 3.5ghz from. I've played Runescape fullscreen with all settings including AA maxed on a computer with a core i3 and a 5670. Just make sure you are using directx and that hardware acceleration is on.

Already running with 4xAA on a Radeon HD 4650, and tried both DirectX and OpenGL modes. Nothing doing for me, and it literally doesn't matter what graphics settings that I use, as I get the same lag in any configuration. (Heck, it gets worse if I shut AA and some of the nice things off!) As for my estimates, that's from between reading about a dozen issues each of Maximum PC and PC World, followed by having full knowledge of how badly my FPS rate crashed after the Dominion Tower update (a P2P thing, which hit me even though I'm 100% F2P) on an Intel P4 Non-HT 2.4 GHz system. The information was a pain to stack together, but I got some really fast indications of how unrealistic Jagex's Test Bed must be these days. :-?

No such thing as a computer with a 3.5GHz unless it is overclocked.

Eh?

My bad. Still, Jagex wouldn't have brand new high end computers anyway.

You might be surprised. Particularly with the fact that non-gamer-minded investors are now in control of the company, and not people we used to know and like such as Andrew Gower. RuneScape was much better, back when he and his brother (Paul) ran things. Even now, I still wish for those days to come back, because RS was lightning-fast back then. :mellow:

~D. V. "If only the new crew for RS had been better about checking all this stuff..." Devnull

The issue is not specs. There are dozens of reports of people with high-end computers who can't run RS properly and as many of those who have average computers yet have no problems. It's down to hardware/driver incompatibilites I'm betting.

I don't know, but I recently logged in with my laptop, which is recent (i7 2630QM, 8GB RAM, GTX 460M) and Rs was running extremely slow with a very slow FPS, while I can run Skyrim with everything at the highest settings with a good FPS. I have no idea where that Rs issue comes from, but I think it's a good thing that I stopped playing a long time ago.