Tip.It Times - 5th February 2012

tripsis

The rebooting runescape article sounds like "hey, lets make all these changes, and hit at all the things I want to change but cant in the real game. Oh and yeah, I just want to make these changes for the sake of changes." It's like what happens with bureaucrats have nothing to do. Nothing wrong with making some servers like that, but I don't thing a very large percentage of rs players will use the servers.

Also:

A non-restricted GE, essentially a trade bot, allowed for rapid migration of items to a few players

This sentence means that there are zero restrictions on the GE. So, if we put that in number form, we get: Number of GE restrictions = 0

If we then look at:

making slayer item drops assigned task only, remove or reduce prayer protect, remove alchemy, restrict the Grand Exchange by a factor of 10, etc.

We can see that increasing the restrictions tenfold would be the same as multiplying the number of GE restrictions by 10. Therefore: 0 * 10 = 0. Still zero GE restrictions.

It reads more like something that is not quite the truth (a lie) was used as a basis of an argument, and to make it sound better. The GE does have rules. I do not think it needs more rules.

I am aware that "Lets make a few laws to prevent total anarchy." sounds worlds better then "People already have laws they have to follow, lets give them more laws they have to follow." I am sure that a certain 28-30 year old who lived off of Friedrich Engels money while having no job of his own was also aware of this difference.

And all the "fixes" that are "beyond the scope of this article" are just bad ideas. Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek explains why.

The first article was more like griping, but it did highlight the vagueness in the Runescape rules, even if I do not agree with all the proposed solutions.

EDIT:

I like the idea the second article presented though. I'd go one step further and say there should be no GE on the new servers, requiring players to actually trade each other.

I love the GE. I played RS long long before the GE came out. From personal experience, finding people in World 1 Varrock or World 2 Fally was stupidly annoying. There were just too many people talking at the same time. It was quite difficult to find anyone selling or buying what you wanted. And trading with them didn't really generate all this personal interaction like the rose tinted glasses would have you believe. Basically, if you didn't put up the asking price within about 15 seconds, they just declined and moved on. So essentially like using the GE, except you have to run through the Maze random to click on it, and it keeps changing places like the pinball random pillars do. Just annoying and time consuming for no real change.

pere_grin.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rebooting runescape article sounds like "hey, lets make all these changes, and hit at all the things I want to change but cant in the real game. Oh and yeah, I just want to make these changes for the sake of changes." It's like what happens with bureaucrats have nothing to do. Nothing wrong with making some servers like that, but I don't thing a very large percentage of rs players will use the servers.

This did make me laugh....I can see where you are coming from, how many times have I heard "We are 're-structuring' the organisation to improve performance and be more cost effective" yeah right

35cq0q9.png

Fairly sure my article stressed keeping it as simple as possible ie identical to the server image of the main RS with exceptions of a two week lag for bug/exploit fixes found on the main servers. Any changes are more of a comment on possibilities which can be open for discussion or debate.

Also:

A non-restricted GE, essentially a trade bot, allowed for rapid migration of items to a few players

This sentence means that there are zero restrictions on the GE. So, if we put that in number form, we get: Number of GE restrictions = 0

If we then look at:

making slayer item drops assigned task only, remove or reduce prayer protect, remove alchemy, restrict the Grand Exchange by a factor of 10, etc.

We can see that increasing the restrictions tenfold would be the same as multiplying the number of GE restrictions by 10. Therefore: 0 * 10 = 0. Still zero GE restrictions.

It reads more like something that is not quite the truth (a lie) was used as a basis of an argument, and to make it sound better. The GE does have rules. I do not think it needs more rules.

A poorly worded description on my part however that was in the legacy portion of the article ie problems that existed that don't exist now except in the ripple effect. Early in it's release, there were less limits for high valued items on the GE as there were now. IIRC Jagex had to go and put in further limits in response to the exploitation of the GE. The point about further restricting the GE is to encourage using the thing for getting your items for training and less so for speculating. Even then, I said it's beyond the scope of the article because it is not a simple matter to fix it fairly and keep it fun.

I am aware that "Lets make a few laws to prevent total anarchy." sounds worlds better then "People already have laws they have to follow, lets give them more laws they have to follow." I am sure that a certain 28-30 year old who lived off of Friedrich Engels money while having no job of his own was also aware of this difference.

And all the "fixes" that are "beyond the scope of this article" are just bad ideas. Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek explains why.

We're not talking laws, we're talking game mechanics. Rules would mean the player has the choice to follow them or not. Change the game world, and the player has no choice in the matter. Think of it like not just having a 25 kph speed limit in school zones, you also put in speed bumps and dips. You don't just have DUI laws, you installed breathalyzers on the ignition systems. This is passive enforcement where you have to follow the rules or need to way out of your way to break them. As for laws in general, I'm a personal fan of putting term limits on real world laws making the legislature work on reviewing and re-passing older laws instead of creating new laws out of the air. Even then, I'm for passive enforcement since giving more power over your wallet and freedom to bored bureaucrats is a bad idea.

The first article was more like griping, but it did highlight the vagueness in the Runescape rules, even if I do not agree with all the proposed solutions.

EDIT:

I like the idea the second article presented though. I'd go one step further and say there should be no GE on the new servers, requiring players to actually trade each other.

I love the GE. I played RS long long before the GE came out. From personal experience, finding people in World 1 Varrock or World 2 Fally was stupidly annoying. There were just too many people talking at the same time. It was quite difficult to find anyone selling or buying what you wanted. And trading with them didn't really generate all this personal interaction like the rose tinted glasses would have you believe. Basically, if you didn't put up the asking price within about 15 seconds, they just declined and moved on. So essentially like using the GE, except you have to run through the Maze random to click on it, and it keeps changing places like the pinball random pillars do. Just annoying and time consuming for no real change.

There's no question the GE is great for any that had to deal with the world 2 mess and all the scams that went with it. The only reason I could think it wouldn't be a part of the RS: New Realm servers is logistics and cost on Jagex's part. It would mean new GE servers and New Realm prices and a simple matter to access them on the main page (in addition to high scores). Still, I think the GE is too lenient with trade. It's a passive trade bot so I think it's better to encourage players to gather bulk material via the GE over time. If a player MUST have 25k planks at that moment then go trade a player merchant that stores bulk items for high prices. Hell, I'm even for a 5% tax on all purchases using the GE which helps counter inflation and encourages player trade. The GE is so convenient that most players would still pay the 5% instead of dealing with players face to face.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

If such a tax on all purchases were added, the players who sell large quantities would use an existing mechanism to circumvent using the Grand Exchange-the Forums. Meanwhile, the new player selling his 100 yew logs would most likely pay it. The vacuum of large trades in the GE might also create large margins between asking and bidding prices. And truthfully, I wouldn't expect such a tax to discourage manipulating behavior, if the quantity caps were removed, since such people would probably have their eyes on a much larger potential profit.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

If such a tax on all purchases were added, the players who sell large quantities would use an existing mechanism to circumvent using the Grand Exchange-the Forums. Meanwhile, the new player selling his 100 yew logs would most likely pay it. The vacuum of large trades in the GE might also create large margins between asking and bidding prices. And truthfully, I wouldn't expect such a tax to discourage manipulating behavior, if the quantity caps were removed, since such people would probably have their eyes on a much larger potential profit.

WoW AH takes 5% and its still heavily used.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]