2012 Music

Kalphite

Here's a place to discuss music released this year.

I think 2012 has already started off as an awesome year for music.

has released an awesome hardcore EP in January, and
's Resolution was a great return from the disappointment that was Wrath. Also, Indie Pop is already thriving with
and fun.'s fantastic new Queen-inspired albums and
's more eclectic brand of pop that's probably the best thing he's released since Hissing fauna.

Electronic music is thriving even more than these, somehow. Burial's Kindred EP is just incredible dubstep, best stuff he's done since Untrue.

's fin. is an equally impressive House release.

The only album that has really been a disappointment to me so far has been Say Anything's Anarchy, My Dear. He tries to hard to write in the frame of mind he had 3 albums ago, and frankly, it comes out terribly. Bemis has to realize that he isn't the same mentally unstable man he was when he wrote Is a Real Boy, and that while that album is one of the best Pop-Punk albums ever written, he'll never be able to create a quality album of that sort again. Ah well.

I put links to recommended songs by each of these artists when I mention them if you're interested in listening; didn't want to clog of the opening post with embedded youtube videos. The electronic releases excite me most, as last year was an incredible year for the genre and, going by the quality of these releases, I'm really excited to see where the genre is pushed this year.

What albums are you excited about? What have you liked that's been released so far? What albums have disappointed you? Anything relevant to music released this year is up for discussion.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a place to discuss music released this year.

I think 2012 has already started off as an awesome year for music.

has released an awesome hardcore EP in January, and
's Resolution was a great return from the disappointment that was Wrath. Also, Indie Pop is already thriving with
and fun.'s fantastic new Queen-inspired albums and
's more eclectic brand of pop that's probably the best thing he's released since Hissing fauna.

Electronic music is thriving even more than these, somehow. Burial's Kindred EP is just incredible dubstep, best stuff he's done since Untrue.

's fin. is an equally impressive House release.

The only album that has really been a disappointment to me so far has been Say Anything's Anarchy, My Dear. He tries to hard to write in the frame of mind he had 3 albums ago, and frankly, it comes out terribly. Bemis has to realize that he isn't the same mentally unstable man he was when he wrote Is a Real Boy, and that while that album is one of the best Pop-Punk albums ever written, he'll never be able to create a quality album of that sort again. Ah well.

I put links to recommended songs by each of these artists when I mention them if you're interested in listening; didn't want to clog of the opening post with embedded youtube videos. The electronic releases excite me most, as last year was an incredible year for the genre and, going by the quality of these releases, I'm really excited to see where the genre is pushed this year.

What albums are you excited about? What have you liked that's been released so far? What albums have disappointed you? Anything relevant to music released this year is up for discussion.

You mean you actually enjoyed the fun. album? That thing was [bleep]ing terrible, and I loved aim & ignite. It lost all the nice instrumentation and was replaced with autotune and drum kicks. That holds the place for the worst album I listened to this year.

So far my favorites have been the new Alcest, Les Discrets, Air, and the Steinvord EP.

Edit: And the new Cloud Nothings album was pretty nice too.

I have this feeling that Lamb of God is becoming more irrelevant with every album. The last three have been pretty poor.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I thought the fun. album was bad the first time I listened to it also, but it grew on me a ton. I still much prefer Aim and Ignite though, and while the autotune is annoying I feel like the rest of it is still a solid pop album. It just can't be compared to Aim and Ignite. It did take me about three listens before I started liking it though.

Oh and I forgot about that Cloud Nothings album but that was pretty great too.

And Range, I thought Wrath sucked but I thought Sacrament and Resolution were excellent, to each their own though.

The new Foxy Shazam album is fantastic. I missed hearing about the album release party here in Cincy by one day. I was pissed.

I'm looking forward to the new Mars Volta album, although I hated the first single that they put out from it.

Also the new Queens of the Stone Age album.

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of them right now. It should be a good year for music indeed.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

The album that I am most excited for this year, by far, is definitely Storm Corrison, the self-titled debute album by the duo project of Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth). Should be some epic stuff there.

Cynic is also releasing a new album this year I believe, although I won't bet on that. Not to mention Wintersun, and Jari's never-ending process to record Time.

Gojira is also apparently aiming for a springtime release for their upcoming album, plenty excited about that too, one of my most listened to-bands lately, definitely.

What else... ah yes, of course, the follow-up to the epic prog rock masterpiece by Jethro Tull, titled Thick as a Brick, will be made, to commemorate one of the greatest prog albums of all time (in my opinion, of course) turning 40 this year. Can't wait for that, even though I have mixed feelings regarding Ian Anderson's voice in the past few years. Gotta wait and see, eh.

There's a few albums that I am excited and/or hoping for, if I remember/find out about more, I shall be posting ^^

My words, but a whisper - your deafness, a shout.

-

If the future's looking dark, we're the ones who have to shine. If there's no one in control, we're the ones who draw the line

-

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand.

I really liked the Mars Volta single, actually. Sounded a lot better than most of Octahedron, that's for sure.

That Storm Corrosion album sounds really interesting, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of it before, even though Opeth's last album made me lose a bit of faith in Akerfeldt. I'll definitely keep an eye out for that now.

Yeah the new Volta single was pretty good, but I'm not getting my hopes up TOO much. Their last few albums have been blah. That new drummer they have is beastly though. He reminds me of Tony Williams in a way, but with more straightforward beats.

Also, the new Tool album should be out in 2012. It'll be six years in May since they've released 10,000 Days.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Their last few albums have been blah. That new drummer they have is beastly though. He reminds me of Tony Williams in a way, but with more straightforward beats.

I didn't like Octahedron, but I thought Bedlam in Goliath was pretty good. Pridgen was my favorite drummer, so I'm sad he's gone. The new drummer has big shoes to fill in my book.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I thought the new fun. album was pretty good. Sure, it contained more songs that are pure album fillers and it's not as good as Aim & Ignite but it's still not that bad.

Think May's going to be the highlight of this year for me music-wise - new albums from mewithoutYou, Sigur Ros, Best Coast and of course Tenacious D :D

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

Yeah the new Volta album is [bleep]ing spectacular. I can't get enough of it.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

Janus put a new album out recently:

http://www.janusmusic.com/

As a whole it's better than Red Right Return, none of the songs are that spectacular.

The Volta album is nice.

The Pineapple Thief has an album coming out some time this year. Their last was pretty good, but a little overproduced.

And, of course, British Theatre is planning on releasing a full LP some time this year.

Yeah I pretty much hate the new Mars Volta album.

Alabama Shakes has their debut album come out in a week or so I believe. Looking forward to that.

If you go in expecting Deloused (or any of their other stuff, for that matter), you'll be disappointed.

Overall, it's a good album. My concern is that the next album will suck, since it's apparent that their creativity is running low.

I was not a fan of the stuff they did with Pridgen. I thought he was way too technical and Deantoni Parks seems like he knows how to groove a whole lot better. Jon Theodore will always be my favorite Volta drummer.

I doubt they will ever make an album like Deloused because they (supposedly) don't take opioids/opiates since Jeremy Ward died. However, I would add that they haven't been produced by Rick Rubin since then either. He has a knack for producing really good records.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lol figures I'd start this and completely forget about it.

New mewithoutYou album is looking to be pretty fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S046KlS1rmE

There's certainly been a lot of good music coming out this year, but there hasn't been anything that's completely blown me away yet. There's been a couple pretty great metal albums recently though; High on Fire, Lord Mantis, and Fire in the Cave have all released some quality sludge metal. Gorod's new album is pretty great too. Still haven't gotten around to listening to the new Mars Volta or Beach House yet though.

One of the more interesting bands I've found so far this year is Dead Sara. They're a female fronted alt-rock band, but with a tinge of industrial influence and vocals that actually can get pretty heavy instead of just being a gimmick like most female vocalists are in the genre. Awesome stuff.

So has anyone listened to Jack White's Blunderbuss? I'm planning on buying it soon when I have some money, and I'm really curious how it is. Is it similar to his other projects (like Sixteen Saltines, one of the two songs I've heard, had a strong White Stripes vibe to it) or is it mostly different from his other stuff like Love Interruption was?

Sigur Ros' album Valtari leaked, and even though it's really bad quality I enjoyed it. It's my favorite album of the year so far and I'm looking forward to the official release with good quality. Would pre-order my LP but I'm waiting to see what kind of special edition will come out.

Other contendors: Vaura - Selenelion and Death Grips - The Money Store.