Account/computer safety and starting from 0

purekilljoy

Hey everyone, been a while since I was last active here. Need some help.

About my hacking experience:

I played a lot in the first half of 2011 and in april my laptop broke, but since I was just starting a new job and got a work laptop I didn't really worry about it, since I did not have any time to play anymore. But in the end of summer I took my computer to be repaired. When I received it, after some time I logged onto my rs main and found out that I was hacked. I lost all of my bank - around 200M at the time and whoever the retard was, he even took the time to take out my 30ish ancient effies and dispose of them (I did not receive any xp)... Now I have no idea who hacked me, but here I am hoping maybe you can help me.

After i found out I was hacked I used rec questions to get my account back and logged in again and changed password. But after some time i could not get in again, and then I changed my hotmail (linked to me) password and changed my rs password and afterwards no one has logged in but me. My first thought was and still is, that the IT guy hacked me, because I had my RS related stuff on the computer as well and that might have given him a hint. Also I think that my hotmail account was on auto log in at the time. The reason i think that someone used my hotmail association to get into my RS account is that my other account that had no req questions or set e-mail was not touched. Considering that the bastard took time to sell anything in my bank that was worth over 3k it doesn't add up that he didn't touch my pure account which had about 5M worth of iron ore on it. - So I think that I was not keylogged and since noone has not touched my accounts again I am still fairly certain that I am not keylogged, because my pure has around 10M of stuff on it now, and I have my main up to about 4-5M gp and the xp logs would show that I have been active.

So my questions:

1. Is it theoretically possible to use one's e-mail (if you have the password) to crack one's RS account.

2. Can someone reccomend a good antivirus that would clean my computer from any keyloggers?

3. The IT guy installed some kind of antivirus and I have 3 new programs that I have not installed - Microsoft Security essentials, Microsoft powershell, Microsoft Silverlight - could any of these programs be used by him to keep tabs on my RS passwords or anything else? (It might be a dumb question, but I am not well versed in computer technology - my expertiese lie elsewhere)

4. Any other suggestions to keep my account safe. (I can do format C by myself, but I must transfer files back and forth so I am thinking that it might not help me - I'd be just taking the keylogger and putting it onto my memory stick and then putting it on a newly formatted computer.

and money related questions

I have around 5M on my main at this moment and I am thinking of going p2p to speed up the process. but I only have about 10 hrs max of play time per work week. On weekends it depends. So I cant really be very active, so I am thinking farming runs with torstols and flipping. (I am pretty sure my MTK is empty and the [bleep] probably dropped my SSH and prom 2h as well so I cant even properly DG. I don't want to start forst drag hunting or slaying w/o proper gear and I am thinking for start up I need around 50M cash minimum, to buy gear and leave some cash for daily merching.

So what I am thinking is:

1. Log in be4 work, plant torstols on hand's patch and plant ...(suggestions?)... on other patches

2. Come back from work, rinse and repeat point 1 and so forth until I reach my goal (I can get around 10% per ROI on my merching)

3. If i have more time on weekends, start hunting, red chins are in pretty high demand and price it seems?

Looking for all help and suggestions

Purekilljoy.png

Seems like f2p is not in highscores, anyway my stats that might be worth for money:

Maxed melees, hp and ranged

73 prayer

85 farming

91 herblaw

76 mining

70 smithing

95 dng

96 slayer

87 fishing

91 summoning

Hunter and construction lvl 1 (Yes no joke, I am a RSC guy, not big on changes and new skills :D, but hunting might be worth a shot...)

Not big on quests either only 183 QP, out of everything I loathe questing the most, but if need be I can do some quests..

Purekilljoy.png

Firstly I'd suggest you read this announcement to help you beef up your security.

1. Is it theoretically possible to use one's e-mail (if you have the password) to crack one's RS account.

Yes, if they have access to your email then all they have to do is send a request and a link is sent to your email to reset your password on RS.

2. Can someone reccomend a good antivirus that would clean my computer from any keyloggers?

I personally scan weekly with Microsoft Security essentials (which you have installed), Malwarebytes, and Spybot S&D.

3. The IT guy installed some kind of antivirus and I have 3 new programs that I have not installed - Microsoft Security essentials, Microsoft powershell, Microsoft Silverlight - could any of these programs be used by him to keep tabs on my RS passwords or anything else? (It might be a dumb question, but I am not well versed in computer technology - my expertiese lie elsewhere)

Microsoft Security Essentials is just an antivirus program, silverlight is similar to Adobe flash except it runs certain microsoft visual applications, and powershell is used for command line scripts. No need to worry about any of them.

4. Any other suggestions to keep my account safe. (I can do format C by myself, but I must transfer files back and forth so I am thinking that it might not help me - I'd be just taking the keylogger and putting it onto my memory stick and then putting it on a newly formatted computer.

To be honest, I don't think you were keylogged. Run the appropriate virus scans and if nothing turns up your most likely fine. From what you described it seems very likely it was just an email hack and your main concern should be keeping your email secured.

Yes, if they have access to your email then all they have to do is send a request and a link is sent to your email to reset your password on RS.

Microsoft Security Essentials is just an antivirus program, silverlight is similar to Adobe flash except it runs certain microsoft visual applications, and powershell is used for command line scripts. No need to worry about any of them.

To be honest, I don't think you were keylogged. Run the appropriate virus scans and if nothing turns up your most likely fine. From what you described it seems very likely it was just an email hack and your main concern should be keeping your email secured.

thanks a lot for the help! I have read through the topic and taken the appropriate measures, I even changed the rec e-mail on my account to be safe. But I still was not sure where the problem might have been, so it is good to get a reassuring reply.

Purekilljoy.png

Well now that the security issue is hopefully fixed...

Torstols are not worth doing (even in Trollheim) unless you have juju potions and scroll of life. Snapdragon is usually the best bet since it offers a mix of good experience and profit. Torstol only becomes better if you buy and sell at the right time, or use remote farm.

If you plan on farming seriously, get scroll of life asap and then work on hunter (how convenient!) so you can get juju potions.

You might also want to look into buying some dailies (battlestaves, broad arrowheads/unf bolts) and MTK.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

When my account was hacked I ran system restore on my system and it was fine after that. However, I don't advise that in your case due to the length of time that has passed.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the P2P game is near nil, but if you want someone to chat to I can add you.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Well now that the security issue is hopefully fixed...

Torstols are not worth doing (even in Trollheim) unless you have juju potions and scroll of life. Snapdragon is usually the best bet since it offers a mix of good experience and profit. Torstol only becomes better if you buy and sell at the right time, or use remote farm.

If you plan on farming seriously, get scroll of life asap and then work on hunter (how convenient!) so you can get juju potions.

You might also want to look into buying some dailies (battlestaves, broad arrowheads/unf bolts) and MTK.

Hey, thx a lot for the info, just got my p2p back so i'm going to drop some money in the MTk coffins, get some snaps and then start working on my hunting ASAP.

Dailies I don't really enjoy all that much. I have all the farming related dng rewards so that will help some, but i just noticed that whoever hacked me even got rid of my dg ring and obv all my chaotics, ffs.

I really enjoyed doing dng with DGS and now i have now SSH or any other binds. Which means that I have to start from 0 at lvl 95 dng. Damn haters, why woudl you get rid of stuff that you cant use for RWT...

Purekilljoy.png

You may have had your previous passwords, p2p transaction keys, your zip code and other information needed to recover your account on it.

The request link alone does not work when you have never accessed runescape on that account before. You are still required to fill in the whole recovery application.

I leave this unanswered as I believe you were not keylogged. Also I highly doubt the computer nerd did anything. All the hacker needed was one of your previous passwords which they most likely got from hacked tip.it or other fansite's database.

All those programs are legit.

Different passwords. Everywhere. Recovery answers to email/scape unrelated to the questions. Separate jagex-only email with 2step verification.

Good luck making money.