Mage slaying

MyWorldHero

As I settle back into the slayer routine to train my range, I was wondering if there were any tasks that were worth it to try to mage. And by that, I mean are there any tasks that can atleast break even, and arent horrible on xp? If it ca do better than break even, I dont mind taking a little longer, but I dont want to mage if I cant break even. I do have access to ancients and all the lunar spells.

Umanyar.png

Do something that scares you everyday

Polypore staff is good for maging metal dragons and cheap, but you need 80 magic for that. I used to fire bolt metal dragons, but that might be too slow. :)

I would recommend you get 80 magic and try out the Polypore staff. The only downside of using a polypore staff is that you don't receive a lot of magic experience.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Im a bit out of the loop. I hadnt returned to the game when the ploypore update was made. Now, the polypore staff seems to be the best thing ever for magic. Why exactly is it so good? it seems kinda expensive with all the fire runes needed. And why woould I not get as much xp with the staff?

Umanyar.png

Do something that scares you everyday

It costs 651k for 3,000 charges or 217 gp for one charge which isn't bad at all.

It has the highest maximum hit of any spell on slayer tasks, as well as providing a prayer bonus for wearing.

You only receive XP from the staff when damage is dealt, not for each spell cast.

You might want to read here for some more information regarding the staff.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

It doesn't use runes. :) All you do is use 15k fire runes and 3,000 polypore spores on a polypore stick to make a polypore staff, or buy it in the grand exchange. :grin:

4K469.png

It is good against iron dragons, steel dragons, and mithril dragons. Coupled with ahrims, infinity boots, god cape, unholy zamorak book, barrows gloves, arcane stream necklace, seer's ring/fero/wealth, and a slayer helm you will destroy. ;)

You can get those last two magic levels fairly quick by doing bake pie or hunter kit. Not sure on the exact xp/hr and loss/hr though.

4K469.png

The polypore staff would indeed be your best choice if you want nice enough exp without spending a ton of money.

Of course, while trying to get 80 magic, you could just high alch for the few hundred thousand exp, which really wouldn't take that long at all! Sure I managed 75->85 magic by high alching (Despite it being a slow way, I still managed fairly quickly)

Do keep in mind that when you're recharging the staff, you will need to get an assist to put the spores and fire runes onto the staff.

Almost anybody with the level required would be more than happy to help you :)

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Polypore is a lot less xp than any other method, especially at lower levels without overloads/arcane stream necklace and such. You can definitely mage a lot of things but for levelling I would recommend either getting Storm of Armadyl (very very expensive, very very fast slayer and magic xp) or not mage slaying for xp.

Metal dragons are killed faster with polypore at max stats, I'm not sure how your stats would do but I'd guess it'd be slower. Getting an arcane stream necklace (+15% magic damage, requires 70 dungeoneering) would help a lot.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I maged abby demons, steels, irons, miths, ganodermic beasts and ice wyrms

Black demons or greater demons are weak to mage, but you will lose money there

Gargoyles are weak to mage also, but they don't drop that much

NEVER mage black dragons or dark beasts; or anything with a mage attack for the most part

Tzhaar are mageable but I'm not sure on profits

I think that's it

If it wasn't mentioned I either haven't tried maging them or you shouldn't mage them

Sugar_Nana.png

So pretty much, the jist of it is that mage is really only good for slayer when it comes to metal dragons, and abby demons, once i get to them eventually

Magic is good on pretty much every monster, including black dragons.

So pretty much, the jist of it is that mage is really only good for slayer when it comes to metal dragons, and abby demons, once i get to them eventually

2000 hits/misses please

2000 hits/misses please

I don't see a point in doing that. I know from personal experience that Magic is accurate enough on black dragons.

Edit: here, take a look at this for yourself. You don't have to reord 2,000 hits to know if Magic is accurate on black dragons or not. Skip to 3:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRHOgTPal0I&feature=channel_video_title

He's not trying to prove magic is better than melee or anything, just showing that for the sake of magic xp you could mage them and be more efficient than melee (since the mage xp + killrate are good).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted