Runescape is an economic simulation

dgd1788

when I was talking to my friend about games that would help you understand economics a little better, He told me that Runescape is the one, that it is an economic simulation, and it defines a very great deal of key aspects of economics including: money, competition, and believe it or not there is a central government in Runescape, that everyone needs to discover.

Money is what you need in order to put yourself on your feet, to organize your wants and neccesities, and sets a guideline within the government, that if you really want this you need to earn it.

Competition in runescape is that of competition in the business world, to be the best that you can be, and survive.

remember this, that the government in runescape will help you, follow the rules, set an example, preservere in all that you can, and trust Jagex, thank them for the wonderful game that they created.

it's up to you to determine your future in the game!!!

Ok,i can see some sense in that..But really the 10 year olds and the idoits that play the game will just lol at you

I am sure there are plenty of people that would be willing to opine

Then I would suggest those people do not post, as it would be spam.

And yeah, all mmorpg's are economic simulations in a way. Not really a miracle that economists really study people's habits and economic laws in these games a lot nowadays. Because mmorpgs are smaller economies it is much easier (yet still very difficult) to understand what really happens, in opposite to our complex and large real life economy.

I myself love analysing and observing rs' economy .

gladly we see eye to eye

I'd say Runescape is a pretty weak representation of a real life economy. I'd be more inclined to suggest that 'Project Entropia' is more of an economy, not because it uses a in-game to real-life currency exchange, but the fact that you can invest with thousands of dollars and make your money back.

Runescape, on the other hand, is lacking in so many levels.

of course this thread is opinionated

Ok,i can see some sense in that..But really the 10 year olds and the idoits that play the game will just lol at you ;)

Then I would suggest those people do not post, as it would be spam. ;)

And yeah, all mmorpg's are economic simulations in a way. Not really a miracle that economists really study people's habits and economic laws in these games a lot nowadays. Because mmorpgs are smaller economies it is much easier (yet still very difficult) to understand what really happens, in opposite to our complex and large real life economy.

I myself love analysing and observing rs' economy ;).

I'd say Runescape is a pretty weak representation of a real life economy. I'd be more inclined to suggest that 'Project Entropia' is more of an economy, not because it uses a in-game to real-life currency exchange, but the fact that you can invest with thousands of dollars and make your money back.

True... as was mentioned in the last flamewa.... er... thread that dealt with the topic. The runescape 'economy' is so flawed as to render it useless when trying to relate back to a real world economy.

siganizq4.gif

Guest anbuwolffy

somebody discovered it!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously ive seen TOO MANY idiots complaining about whip prices and maul praices going down as the phats and santa hats go up its REALLY pathetic and annoying.

acctually its not just an enonomic simulation, it's a whole virtual society

How is it an economy when there are unlimited resources?

It's still an 'economy', however the unlimited nature of resources is one of the things that make it next to useless in comparison to a real economy. Likewise the lack of a central treasury, taxes, interest rates, fiscal policy etc, etc, etc.

siganizq4.gif

How is it an economy when there are unlimited resources?

It's still an 'economy', however the unlimited nature of resources is one of the things that make it next to useless in comparison to a real economy. Likewise the lack of a central treasury, taxes, interest rates, fiscal policy etc, etc, etc.

the question is not the unlimited resources, but that you have to take time to get a wide inventory of them, do you see what I mean, Supply and demand.

the question is not the unlimited resources, but that you have to take time to get a wide inventory of them, do you see what I mean, Supply and demand.

I agree that there are elements of supply and demand. You are going to get that in any situation where people are trading items - virtual or not. But as an economic simulation it's worth next to nothing because the value of the GP can't be backed up effectively against a commodities market where there is no finite limit to the amount of resources in the market.

You can observe some aspects that are also found in a real-world economy, but I'd stop a long way short of calling it an "economic simulation"

siganizq4.gif

I agree that there are elements of supply and demand. You are going to get that in any situation where people are trading items - virtual or not. But as an economic simulation it's worth next to nothing because the value of the GP can't be backed up effectively against a commodities market where there is no finite limit to the amount of resources in the market.

You can observe some aspects that are also found in a real-world economy, but I'd stop a long way short of calling it an "economic simulation"

Gold coins have been around since biblical era, and they did shape the economy back then

What economic theory have you been reading that requires a finite limit on recources? If this is what you are saying, please enlighten me on what the final limit of fresh water in the world is, and how this limit affects the price on bottled fresh water.

If you are talking about scarcity, that is another matter. I can't imagine an economy without scarcity, but I dare you to find even one resource in Runescape that isn't scarce. If you don't know what to look for, it's the resource that you can get 10 million of and sell to me for 1gp and still feel like you made a bargain.

The most important resource in the Runescape economy is time, and since people often forget about this resource they fail to see that other resources in Runescape is in fact not unlimited. Cutting 1000 willow trees in Runescapes requires a certain amount of time, just as cutting 1000 willow trees in the real world requires a certain amount of time.

Runescape isn't an economic simulation, it's an economy.

Paulsigsmall.jpg

please enlighten me on what the final limit of fresh water in the world is, and how this limit affects the price on bottled fresh water.

You're of the opinion that we have an unlimited supply of fresh water? On which planet is this?

Of course it's "an" economy. The point is that it's not an accurate model of current, real-world economies as was alluded to earlier.

siganizq4.gif

please enlighten me on what the final limit of fresh water in the world is, and how this limit affects the price on bottled fresh water.

You're of the opinion that we have an unlimited supply of fresh water? On which planet is this?

Of course it's "an" economy. The point is that it's not an accurate model of current, real-world economies as was alluded to earlier.

Now the name dwarfie is getting annoying, go spam somewhere else

I'm sorry... who made you king of the forums again?

I'll post what I like where I like thank you very much. If you want complete control over what does and doesn't get posted then I'd suggest putting your whines on your livejournal rather than here.

siganizq4.gif

I'll post what I like where I like thank you very much. If you want complete control over what does and doesn't get posted then I'd suggest putting your whines on your livejournal rather than here.

this is my thread :x

Garrett stop being so obnoxious. Feel free to post all you want dwarfie as long as you don't spam. :) Everyone be happy.

Urza. The One. The Legend.

96703366.thumb3.jpeg

No it's not. The boards, and all the threads on them are available to any and all members of tip.it. They are "owned" only by the owners of the forums - which ain't you mate.

So anyway, you can't handle someone having the gall to actually point out the (many) flaws in your posts so you tell them not to post? That's not very grown up of you is it? And as for spam... you were the one who started the thread which is exactly the same as every other runescape economics thread on the boards.

As I said before, if you can't handle a discussion of your post, which involves both congruent and dissenting ideas, then go whine about it in your livejournal or something.

siganizq4.gif

*completely ignoring the flame war*

Glad to see someone else who sees the biggest appeal of the game -- dynamic economy.

Although I am troubled by certain things though. For example, the greater amount of one resource you have (ess, logs, etc.), the prices you can sell it for does not go down, but sometimes up.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Although I am troubled by certain things though. For example, the greater amount of one resource you have (ess, logs, etc.), the prices you can sell it for does not go down, but sometimes up.

You mean the price of essence goes up for bulk lots? It's a convenience factor. Someone will happily pay 50k for 1k essence because 1k essence is something you can actually achieve a level or two with. However anyone trying to sell 7 essences would have a hard time giving them away because people don't want to waste the time it would take to complete the trade.

siganizq4.gif