Ethical Dilemma of the Day:

You are on a footbridge over a train track. There are 3 workmen doing construction on one set of tracks and 1 workman working on the other set of tracks. A train is coming and it can't stop in time; there is a switch on the footbridge though, you can change which tracks the train is on. Who do you save the 3 workmen or the 1 workman?

Hmm.

Morally, I'd save the 3 workmen.

Legally speaking though, the best option is to do nothing.

What about the same footbridge except there's an extremely large man on it and the only way to save the 3 workman is to push him off, would you do it?

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

You are on a footbridge over a train track. There are 3 workmen doing construction on one set of tracks and 1 workman working on the other set of tracks. A train is coming and it can't stop in time; there is a switch on the footbridge though, you can change which tracks the train is on. Who do you save the 3 workmen or the 1 workman?

Hmm.

What about the same footbridge except there's an extremely large man on it and the only way to save the 3 workman is to push him off, would you do it?

Again, in moral terms it's right to do so, and if legally that didn't put me at fault, I would do it.

Hmm.

Again, in moral terms it's right to do so, and if legally that didn't put me at fault, I would do it.

You just committed murder if you push someone off a bridge. Although you saved 3 lives, so does that not justify murder? You could argue you murder those 3 people through inaction if you do nothing.

Begin Date: October 18, 2012

1. Construction - 1 (Not Completed)
  2. Dungeoneering - 2
  3. Farming - 2 (1 Not Completed)
  4. Herblore - 1 (Not Completed)
  5. Hunter - 0
  6. Runecrafting - 0
  7. Slayer - 0
  8. Thieving - 2

65495229.png

Hmm.

You just committed murder if you push someone off a bridge. Although you saved 3 lives, so does that not justify murder? You could argue you murder those 3 people through inaction if you do nothing.

True, which is why in a lawless land I could definitely save the 3 lives.

I, of course, don't know where you live, but the law here at least puts me at risk of being convicted of murder if I do that, but not if I had let the 3 people be killed.

But could you live yourself for the rest of your life knowing you let 3 people die?

"Let them die" is a bit of a harsh way of putting it and I feel like it oversimplifies the complex issue we're talking about. Would I feel guilty that I accepted the deaths of 3 people? Sure, but in the context of the situation I do not think that it would be something that overwhelmingly would haunt me. Besides, if you were the simplify the issue that much and accept it, it would also be valid to say that you saved the life of one person and need not feel guilty at all.

So I suppose the answer is yes.

But could you live yourself for the rest of your life knowing you let 3 people die?

"Let them die" is a bit of a harsh way of putting it and I feel like it oversimplifies the complex issue we're talking about. Would I feel guilty that I accepted the deaths of 3 people? Sure, but in the context of the situation I do not think that it would be something that overwhelmingly would haunt me. Besides, if you were the simplify the issue that much and accept it, it would also be valid to say that you saved the life of one person and need not feel guilty at all.

So I suppose the answer is yes.

You have the same reasoning as almost everyone else in that situtation. As a rule, people will not willingly engage in an activity that leads to someone else dying even if they would be "saving" more lives.

Begin Date: October 18, 2012

1. Construction - 1 (Not Completed)
  2. Dungeoneering - 3
  3. Farming - 2 (1 Not Completed)
  4. Herblore - 1 (Not Completed)
  5. Hunter - 1
  6. Runecrafting - 1 (Not Completed)
  7. Slayer - 0
  8. Thieving - 3

65495229.png

AC3 is freakin awesome. Although managed to net 96 thieving, Week 19 of statue, and keyed my fastest floor ever this week (13:36). Along with the new update to Tears of Guthix (TOG) that should put a nice dent in Runecrafting, Herblore, and Hunter.

65495229.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

113 Dungeoneering, took a pic but screwed it up so lolz

Thanksgiving was fun, spent time with family in Chicago. Back and working on Week 22 of Shattered Heart.

65495229.png

890k from 99 slayer, Penguins, Troll Invasion, and SoF should be about 3-4 months.

102k from 91 Runecrafting and 91+ base, that's another 3 weeks of Tears of Guthix.

106k from 93 Construction, depending on how fast I get construction rocks and use the winter aura that could be this week.

Finally have my Shattered Heart back on track, the trip to Chicago threw off my schedule

65495229.png

Thanks, you're probably my first fan lolz

Big day for me yesterday, 93 Construction (prized pendant and winter aura) and 97 thieving (MKF). Turned in Week 23 of Shattered Heart, so time to grind out the next set so I don't have to use bank space. :P

65495229.png

Completed Week 24 of Shattered Heart, can't turn it in until Tuesday (if I counted right, lol math). This might mean Jagex has changed it from resetting every Sunday to resetting based on the last time you turned it in.

43k from 98 farming, hopefully MTK will churn out some spirit/magic seeds to help that along.

In between statues, I've been slaying to finish off 99 slayer so I can start plowing pengs/Troll Invasion, etc into another skill. Probably herblore or construction.

65495229.png

Week 24 turned in, woot :P

Player Owned Ports just came out and so far I'm liking what I've seen. Can't wait to get all the rewards from it but someone said months for all of them.

463k from 99 slayer, pretty much slayed all day yesterday.

9k from 98 farming, thanks to a 4k reward from daily challenge lolz.

65495229.png

Yesterday:

180 Tears of Guthix boosted me to level 91 Runecrafting and 91+ all skills. I had been thinking it would take 2 weeks but I got lucky this week. :D

Today:

Finally farmed enough for 98 farming and some more progess on Slayer (425k left). Hoping to do Penguins this week for <400k slayer exp for 99.

Player Owned Port, deciding to focus on buying all the bamboo upgrades for ship, 2 more cyclops (1 for each ship eventually), and the 3,600 bamboo needed to upgrade the Bar and Office.

65495229.png

1 more Runecrafting rock to complete 25th Shattered Heart statue. Hopefully, tomorrow, if not I might actually have to do some runecrafting.

277k from 99 slayer, been using Jack of Trades and Penguins still. Should have it finished in 2 weeks or so if I keep slaying.

65495229.png

99 SLAYER, only took 6 years lol

I enjoy almost any type of music as long as it has vocals and I can understand what they're saying.

65495229.png

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. Today was 26th week of the statue complete and 114 dungeoneering. 5.8M from 115 and Floor 58 but it shouldn't be too bad.

65495229.png

27th week banked, can't finish it until Wednesday. Grad school starts on Thursday so not sure how much time I'm going to have for RS. Anyway, 292K from 98 Thieving, should have that this week depending on daily challenges. 4.5M from 115 Dungeoneering, pretty much my main focus now as grad school will interfere with this the most if I have any time at all. I'm also annoyed with my clan so I want to finish 120 so I can let go.

65495229.png