Pop Up Ads = Bad Business Ethics

Spunky Skunk

Dear Rune Tips,

I have been a user of rune tips for 8 years

I just want to say that allowing your site to have pop up advertisements is disrespectful to your users -

it is damaging to your reputation, and just bad business ethics

From a purely economic point of view, it is ultimately going to be bad for business. People feel like they are being disrespected, and will be less likely to return to your website in the future -- you are doing this in exchange for an initial increase in revenue.

So not only is it bad ethics, its bad business.

• 3 weeks later...
If it bothers you (can't say that I blame you), why not look into ABP?

Tip: While those of us that have FireFox-based/Chrome-based/K-Meleon browsers have access to this, nobody else does AFAIK. Therefore, ABP can't be recommended to everyone. :shame:

As for the issue with those blasted Pop-Up Ads, I've felt enough of the burn on a tablet with a WebKit-based browser (that, yes, can't have ABP added to it) that I know how the OP feels. I would seriously recommend that the items resulting in the pop-up ads have those functions disabled/removed as soon as is possible, as it is too easy on mobile devices to get re-directed by an accidental mis-click and/or a bad item loading. Even having pop-up ads at all can result in users who come to Tip.It choosing to go somewhere else because their system got compromised and/or they felt like they couldn't retain their privacy on the internet. I'm pretty sure we can agree that Tip.It doesn't need to lose people over this? :(

~D. V. "Knowing the balance..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If it bothers you (can't say that I blame you), why not look into ABP?

Tip: While those of us that have FireFox-based/Chrome-based/K-Meleon browsers have access to this, nobody else does AFAIK. Therefore, ABP can't be recommended to everyone. :shame:

Don't wag your finger when the advice is completely solid for those users and equally effective alternatives exist for Safari, Opera, and Android (rooted) browers.

Frankly, if you're using anything else, that's your problem.

hzvjpwS.gif

Hey there,

I want to first apologize for the inconvenience of having these ads on our site. I can certainly relate and understand how it is to use a site with popups. This is something I have personally discussed with our website owner, but due to both technical and communication difficulties we have yet to see our ad system changed. I continue to push for this change and hopefully in the near future we will see a better ad system.

I totally agree with you. Popups are intrusive, annoying and a good reason to take business elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Cowman_133

Tip.It Administrator

1.png
generic_signature.png