Runescape Toolkit - RuneBase

Puccioso

Hi fellow programmers and Runescape players! During the last few days I've been working on a Runescape Toolkit (inspired to SwiftKit) of my own.

It's still a work in progress and I've got lots of stuff to add, but I wanted to share a few screenshots with you all. I don't know whether I can post a link to my website here, so for now I'll just give you some pictures of my client :D

By the way, I'm making this in C#.Net, using 4.0 framework, as I thought it was a good and fast way to get results without spending to much time on interface and code mess.

I've added a video here so you can see what I'm talking about, since screenshots by themselves don't really make it justice.

Skin/Script System

RuneBases uses a complex skin system which allows basic scripts (using only a set list of functions, for safety purposes) to be run from interface controls. This is how it works, so without scripts, actually it would not work (they're perfectly integrated with the application itself, so any skin must contain them.

Hopefully in less than a week I'll be done with other features and I'll extend the skin/script system to fully support user made addons, and I'm pretty sure that would increase RuneBase's reputation and userbase, and probably would open a door to infinite features.

Actual skin file:

http://pastebin.com/a7SgdzU7

This should give you an idea of how it works (and how scripts are integrated inside skin/program). I plan to add "styles" to save in a separate file, in order to make the skin file much more lightweight, since as of now it is rather big, and a bit messy.

So, what do you think of it? Please consider I began it just a couple days ago, so there's still a lot to do, and I'll do it of course :D

[spoiler=Screenshots (OLD)]

rb5t.th.png

The new interface with skin system, this is how it looks when it's not active and it's set to "popup" effect.

rb4.th.png

And this is how it looks when it's expanded.

rb1r.th.png

The Grand Exchange tab, where you can quickly check prices and even calculate profit/loss for skills (using GE prices of course)

rb2p.th.png

A useful map, as you can see behind there's also a calculator in the Misc tab

rb3.th.png

The Skills tab, which allows users to easily check skill recipes, and soon will have calculators as well

My Runescape Toolkit Client

Core:

Skill data handling: 100% (for now)

Skin system: 80%

Script system for user made addons: 20%

Data (will add methods to retrieve it online, but for the features I want to add, like advanced skill/profit calculations, I need to have it all at hand at anytime):

Item database: 0%

Skill database: 15%

Bestiary: 0%

Features:

Grand Exchange support: 100%

Highscores support: 100%

Calculator support: 100%

Skill support: 80%

(All the stats showed are provvisory, further updates to my client might affect progress on those fields)

A lot of wasted screen space... I don't use toolkits because I like seeing runescape as big as possible. Why can't those elements pop up OVER the runescape game window a la DGsweeper?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I've worked on this for just a couple of days now, so I still have to spend a lot of time optimizing and improving. I usually take care of interface after I'm done with essential features, as I hate working on interface :P

But well, since I've got some spare time, I might as well try and rearrange them over the game in a fancy way.

Core:

Data (will add methods to retrieve it online, but for the features I want to add, like advanced skill/profit calculations, I need to have it all at hand at anytime):

Features:

(All the stats showed are provvisory, further updates to my client might affect progress on those fields)

Puccioso, while I'm not someone who uses RS Toolkit Programs, I think you should set it up so the interface can be both ways. That way, your program appeals to all who have their own mentality on interface design. Plus, it would have the benefit of leaving you an open framework to include more interface styles, and possibly the eventual idea of having it all managed through skins/themes/plugins and/or just a general set of options. :geek:

BTW, please don't get upset, as I very much understand this would be a considerable increase in the amount of work that you would have to do. Honestly though, it is my opinion that any additional issues which you would encounter by setting up a stack of extra options would be fully offset by the positive reputation you could gain. :thumbsup:

~D. V. "Heck, imagine competing with SwiftKit, and under Tip.It's roof!?!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I really appreciate suggestions as long as they're constructive critics :) In fact this idea is really good, and thinking about it, after setting up this interface framework, it would be easier for me as well to work with interface (and that would be great).

After a suggestion from a friend of mine, I'll also add a small button to totally hide the toolkit interface, for when it's not needed, so that combined with themes, it should fit everyone necessities.

By the way, I would put a link to my website, but besides the fact that I don't know whether it's against rules, it would feel very awkward as actually it's not much of use yet >.<

Oh well, I'll start to think of anice way to manage interface through some external template files :)

Core:

Features:

I've spent the whole day writing a skin/template system, and as of now I'm very satisfied with it. I'm standardizing my code now since it's a big big BIG mess, but for anyone who might be interested, I though I would share a part of the skin code, just to show you how working with skins to make custom ones will be like:

[spoiler=How skin data is structured (just part of the actual skin file)]

;################################
;######## Game Window ###########
begin GAME_WINDOW
name=GAME_WINDOW
dock=fill
add GAME_WINDOW

;####### The Main Menu ##########
begin TAB_CONTROL
name=CTRL_MENU
dock=bottom
height=180
alignment=bottom
expand=false
add TAB_CONTROL
;##### Grand Exchange Tab #######
begin TAB_PAGE
name=TAB_GE
parent=CTRL_MENU
back_color=0,0,0,255
fore_color=255,255,255,255
text="GE"
add TAB_PAGE
;######### GE Lookup ############
begin GROUP
name=GROUP_GE_LOOKUP_PRICE
parent=TAB_GE
dock=left
width=150
text="Lookup Price"
back_color=0,0,0,255
add GROUP

begin GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_NAME
name=GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_NAME
parent=GROUP_GE_LOOKUP_PRICE
dock=fill
x=5
y=20
back_color=30,30,30,255
border_style=fixed_single
add GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_NAME

begin GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_CURRENT
name=GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_CURRENT
x=5
y=45
autosize=true
text="Current price: "
add GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_CURRENT

begin GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_MIN
name=GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_MIN
x=5
y=60
autosize=true
text="Min price: "
add GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_MIN

begin GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_MAX
name=GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_MAX
x=5
y=75
autosize=true
text="Max price: "
add GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_MAX

begin GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_TODAY
name=GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_TODAY
x=5
y=90
autosize=true
text="Today's change: "
add GE_LOOKUP_PRICE_TODAY
;######### GE Profit ############
begin GROUP
name=GROUP_GE_LOOKUP_PROFIT
parent=TAB_GE
dock=left
width=300
text="Profit Calculator"
back_color=0,0,0,255
add GROUP
begin TAB_CONTROL
name=CTRL_PROFIT
parent=GROUP_GE_LOOKUP_PROFIT
dock=fill
alignment=top
expand=false
add TAB_CONTROL

;####### Potions Profit ########
begin TAB_PAGE
name=TAB_PROFIT_POTIONS
parent=CTRL_PROFIT
back_color=0,0,0,255
text="Potions"
add TAB_PAGE
begin GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_NAME
name=GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_NAME
parent=TAB_PROFIT_POTIONS
y=5
x=5
height=20
width=120
back_color=40,40,40,255
flat_style=popup
add GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_NAME
begin GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_COST
name=GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_COST
x=5
y=30
autosize=true
text="Cost: "
add GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_COST

begin GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_GAIN
name=GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_GAIN
x=5
y=45
autosize=true
text="Gain: "
add GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_GAIN
begin GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_PROFIT
name=GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_PROFIT
x=5
y=60
autosize=true
text="Profit: "
add GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_PROFIT
begin LABEL
x=130
y=5
autosize=true
text="Materials:"
add LABEL

begin GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_MATERIALS
x=130
y=20
width=150
height=85
back_color=40,40,40,255
view_style=list
;columns=Name:90:-1,Price:70:-1
add GE_PROFIT_POTIONS_MATERIALS

;####### Pouches Profit ########
begin TAB_PAGE
name=TAB_PROFIT_POUCHES
parent=CTRL_PROFIT
back_color=0,0,0,255
text="Pouches"
add TAB_PAGE
begin GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_NAME
name=GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_NAME
parent=TAB_PROFIT_POUCHES
y=5
x=5
height=20
width=120
back_color=40,40,40,255
flat_style=popup
add GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_NAME
begin GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_COST
name=GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_COST
x=5
y=30
autosize=true
text="Cost: "
add GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_COST

begin GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_GAIN
name=GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_GAIN
x=5
y=45
autosize=true
text="Gain: "
add GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_GAIN

begin GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_PROFIT
name=GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_PROFIT
x=5
y=60
autosize=true
text="Profit: "
add GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_PROFIT
begin LABEL
x=130
y=5
autosize=true
text="Materials:"
add LABEL

begin GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_MATERIALS
x=130
y=20
width=150
height=85
back_color=40,40,40,255
view_style=list
;columns=Name:90:-1,Price:70:-1
add GE_PROFIT_POUCHES_MATERIALS

As you can see, at the price of a big skin data file, I've decided to give users total customizing freedom. With the system I've wrote, it's possible not only to customize the client style, but it's possible to fully rewrite the interface in any way you could possibly think of. Skin elements are not unique, this means you can create clones, like having 2 labels showing output for a Grand Exchange price lookup, or even 2 Runescape clients side by side. As you can see you can also place components wherever you want, be it below the Runescape client window, on its side, or even above it.

And, for Mercifull, it's possible (through the expand property) to make tabs popup above the game, and keep them minimized while playing the game. :D

Let me know what you think, I feel like this was a great improvement to my client (thank you Devnull!)

Core:

Features:

A lot of wasted screen space... I don't use toolkits because I like seeing runescape as big as possible. Why can't those elements pop up OVER the runescape game window a la DGsweeper?

This is a problem for me as well, that's why I do not really fancy programs like SwiftKit who limit my view.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

This is a problem for me as well, that's why I do not really fancy programs like SwiftKit who limit my view.

That's why I made my template system to allow skins that don't waste space at all. I'll post a screenshot to show how it can look like as soon as possible.

Core:

Features:

Can't wait for it, then. :)

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

I've already released it (not this version though), but I can't put a link here on forums unfortunately. The best thing I can say (I suppose) is that if you're really interested in testing it, you can find it around just by searching for it. Not that actually it's that good at all, it lacks a lot of features yet.

Core:

Features:

Puccioso, if you wish to throw up links/screenshots/links-to-screenshots, unless some Admin/Mod here at Tip.It has told you otherwise, then please feel very much free to. Nobody in this thread can easily see what you're talking about without them anyway, and search engines these days make it real hard to find anything. :(

BTW, this is a discussion area for "Programming and Web Design" anyway. Showing and sharing is supposed to happen, at least as long as it stays on the legal side of things. ;)

~D. V. "Otherwise, what would be the point of this board area?" Devnull

(Edits by author due to posting way too early...)

Edited by D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Puccioso, if you wish to throw up links/screenshots/links-to-screenshots, unless some Admin/Mod here at Tip.It has told you otherwise, then please feel very much free to. Nobody in this thread can easily see what you're talking about without them anyway, and search engines these days make it real hard to find anything. :(

BTW, this is a discussion area for "Programming and Web Design" anyway. Showing and sharing is supposed to happen, at least as long as it stays on the legal side of things. ;)

~D. V. "Otherwise, what would be the point of this board area?" Devnull

(Edits by author due to posting way too early...)

I wanted to be sure so I've already talked with tripsis, and the outcome was that no, I won't post links (she's right anyway to ask me not to post them, so it's just fine). On the other side, I've posted some screenschots, and that's something already. Anyway, in the hope that it won't be against rules, I will just say that my YouTube account is Puccioso93, and I think that's more than enough to find it ;)

Oh and by the way, the only version I released was 2 days old, so it won't show nearly as much as it does now, perhaps I'll release a new build tonight, just to have a released version that actually looks good.

Edit: I was 2 days old not two years old >.<

Core:

Features:

Well I'm pretty sure if you send the related files over to MakeUK (Super admin), he could possibly verify it and give permission for you to distribute it, granted it has usefulness over SwiftKit, or you could possibly join the SwiftKit team and help them in development.

Just some recommendations. :)

zuzmo.png

collio.png

Well I'm pretty sure if you send the related files over to MakeUK (Super admin), he could possibly verify it and give permission for you to distribute it, granted it has usefulness over SwiftKit, or you could possibly join the SwiftKit team and help them in development.

Just some recommendations. :)

Don't know whether that would be possible, perhaps I'll give this a try. What do you mean with "usefulness over Swiftkit"? As of now it's not realy as useful, it has a couple features, and really I'm working a lot on the interface (with skins), as I want to add features without messing the interface of having to rearrange it everytime, and without making it too much invadent.

Onto news, I'm working now on another interface revamp, making it based on pseudo-popup, in order to have very little shown on screen at any given time, with the possibility to open popups inside the client showing the real information. Of course it will be able to make them sizeable/fixed, either draggable or not, and further customize them, while they'll mostly contain nice looking lists showing, for example, information about objects, skills, highscors, and everything. In fact I'll just rearrange everything I've done to fit into custom lists, placed inside easily manageable popups. I think it would look better, and would allow to have much more information on screen when needed, while staying totally invisible when it's not needed.

What do you think?

Core:

Features:

Well as of now SwiftKit has integrated it's community with Tip.It, and I'm not sure if programs such as yours would be permitted in that case, since from what I've seen most of it's features are the ones you can already find on SwiftKit, and SwiftKit is (not trying to offend you) more trustworthy to use over yours.

Could always give it a go though, people like me would love to try it. :)

zuzmo.png

collio.png

Well as of now SwiftKit has integrated it's community with Tip.It, and I'm not sure if programs such as yours would be permitted in that case, since from what I've seen most of it's features are the ones you can already find on SwiftKit, and SwiftKit is (not trying to offend you) more trustworthy to use over yours.

Could always give it a go though, people like me would love to try it. :)

Hehe indeed as of now its features the same you can find on SwiftKit, but as soon as I'm done with interface, I've got a couple of idea to make it better ;) Together with a friend, both of us with 7 years of experience on RS (each), have made a list of userful features that aren't found anywhere else. Some of them are rather hard to make, but luckily they are all based on things I've already done in the past (little hint: OCR and image finding), so I won't have many problems implementing them into my client to make it easily the best one around.

Anyway I think I won't be able to post it here, as tripsis said, they're already partners with SwiftKit, so it wouldn't be exactly fair. Not a big problem anyway, perhaps when it gets good I'll try and get some partnerships around, and anyway people can always find it by searching if they're interested (it's not that hard).

Core:

Features:

I released build 3 with many cool improvements (better and custom interface, better skin management system and more importantly, a much more manageable code)

I put a video in the first post, so you can see what we're talking about.

Let me know what do you think.

Core:

Features:

I started making a client add-on a while ago (like 8 months), and I settled on this UI:

3HKPG.png

Basically, it sits by the prayer/run/summ/hp icons and can be collapsed and opened. Each icon opens up a drop-down menu that allows you to run some scripts, much like yours. It can also be moved by clicking the move cursor icon.

The advantage is that it doesn't take up much screen real estate when it's in use, and even less when it's not.

Maybe you could look into something like that.

I started making a client add-on a while ago (like 8 months), and I settled on this UI:

3HKPG.png

Basically, it sits by the prayer/run/summ/hp icons and can be collapsed and opened. Each icon opens up a drop-down menu that allows you to run some scripts, much like yours. It can also be moved by clicking the move cursor icon.

The advantage is that it doesn't take up much screen real estate when it's in use, and even less when it's not.

Maybe you could look into something like that.

That looks really neat. I've already coded collapsing controls, I think adding something like that would be rather easy as of now.

Although I think I won't be able to base my whole interface on that, as those many features wouldn't really fit on this kind of control, I think it would really useful as a shotcut control to make some things faster. Anyway being that my client is skin based, I expect many kinds of interface to be skinned once it gets known, so the more options I give, the better it is.

Thank's for the idea, I'll definately look into that.

Core:

Features:

I've improved the skin system and wrote a basic scripting system which I'll later expand to allow user made addons (sounds interesting doesn't it? :P)

I posted a new video showing new features, and I've also linked the actual skin file, so you can give it a look and tell me if it looks good. Just consider that in the next build I'll make skins much more light weight, using "styles" (saved in a different file) to reapply to each control the same properties (of course, styles will be skin dependant).

So, what do you think?

Core:

Features: