Tip.It Times - 24th March 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

What a great read, and it's really true as well. After a 2 year break, coming back last August was already like playing a whole other game, and it would have been even worse if I had waited until recently to come back. I don't regret though, I'm having some playing this game again and it is why I have stayed until now.

I hope I can make this clear: the articles are well-written enough, and I hope you'll trust me as a reasonable source on that. I am a bit weary of the 07 vs. live/2013 distinctions, though, and I'm looking forward to a change of topic. That said...

@Alg and "Beginner's Guide to EoC p. 1"

I'll be very impressed if this eventually is distilled to website content. Although I favor RS Wiki(a) these days for quick reference, I still think Tip.It still has strength for in-depth content and format, especially with Treasure Trails. An EoC guide would be a real gem.

On the other hand, almost every weapon is viable within its tier—mid to high level players in particular will find that items like the crystal bow and Zamorakian spear are considerably more useful than they were in the past.

I hadn't used my 3 crystal bows in a long time, but they are generally my go-to weapon of choice while ranging, until I have enough saved for dual chaotic crossbows. Even then I may still use them for arrow-weak monsters, since maintenance cost is WAY lower.

I'll use a Zamorakian spear when inventory is at a premium, but for now, I prefer dual wielding Korasi's sword and an off-hand chaotic rapier for most stab-weak Slayer tasks. (I generally don't do bossing, save maybe demon flash mobs.)

@The Floating Pen & "The Future"

Sums up a lot of what I've heard from other players over the past few years. For the record, I will laugh and laugh if I get my wish and Squeal of Fortune is removed only to be put more deeply in-game as a "gambling solution". So amusingly ironic that would be. No way do I want Solomon's to go away, however, I think it's a very legitimate way of me saying, "Hiya Jagex developers, I like this, consider putting something similar into the main game in exchange for my business." Some of my best Runescape friends rather agree, I think, considering they've got more of this cosmetic content than I do!

I'm ready. I'm also ready for the HTML5 switch to more firmly engrain the stereotype that the only game viable-to-play on Linux is Runescape, and the usual epithets were uttered (or implied) when I saw this stereotype discussed, but hey, eat my fat apathy, kiddie haters, y'know? Until Obsidian releases Project Eternity, I don't have much else RPG goodness to play besides maybe wringing out a few more bitter miles out of NWN1 (say hi to qeltar and mention DDO isn't available and D&D 3.0/3.5 sucks). I'm not that interested in the silly antiquated-looking RPGs indie devs are doing for Linux, much less that Steam still has problems.

There's still that Windows multiboot, but I'm tired, hurt like hell, and don't feel like messing with that again just yet.

Not necessarily true, but there are people who prefer the older graphics.

Not even just because of nostalgia either; some people prefer the game's unique style from back then as well. And that's not even getting into the gameplay and community...

Which is a funny thing about gaming, especially with multiplayer games, 'objectively better' doesn't necessarily result in a better game experience :razz:

I'm not sure if it's a mistake but there seems to be a slight contradiction with the examples in this part of the accompanying article:

"you take a pretty big hit to accuracy if your weapon's class doesn't match your armor's class, 17% if your weapon is strong against your armor's class (for example, melee armor and a ranged weapon) and around 30% if your weapon is weak against your armor's class (melee armor and a magic weapon)."

I was a little confused by that so if you could clarify that for me that'd be great. Thanks :)

Money_Wasted.png

Not even just because of nostalgia either; some people prefer the game's unique style from back then as well. And that's not even getting into the gameplay and community...

Which is a funny thing about gaming, especially with multiplayer games, 'objectively better' doesn't necessarily result in a better game experience :razz:

Well, this was said about RS1/Classic, too. I don't know if there are any that are actively playing it anymore, but I do see some avatars and signatures from it (Mercifull and ForsakenMage come immediately to mind...)

I was a little confused by that so if you could clarify that for me that'd be great. Thanks :)

I'm probably not the best person to explain it, but here's an attempt:

According to the equip screen, a level 75 item has 2384 accuracy in the style it's strong against (So, ranged < melee < magic).

If you have a melee weapon and ranged top/legs, your accuracy against ranged would be 1668. For a magic weapon in the same setup, it would be 2002.

If this doesn't help, I'd recommend asking around elsewhere.

Defense matters even less in eoc than pre eoc. You can tank Nex/KK quite happily in void with defensive abilities, and slayer, combat training and other bosses still have 0 use for defence, especially since drygorescape made SS so good, even more so when combined with the vampyrism aura and scrimshaw. Also dg stuff (with a couple of minor exceptions such as Blink) hits a lot less frequently and without as much damage.

Both are decent articles however. I'd disagree with the article "The Future" in that many of these changes are coming too quickly and have been too radical, in my opinion. But I'm still looking forward to RS3, the game could do with a new lick of paint graphically. Plus it was nice to read something positive for a change! (The general atmosphere about anything serious on HLF is basically despair, and TIF can be pretty negative a lot of the time too.)

Thanks for the articles. :D

Asmodean <3

Not only in gaming, a VW Polo is objectively a better car then the rather old Fiat Punto, but I still think that same Punto is more fun. ( just an example, no need to start car discussions)

Or how about the cookie made with margarine instead of butter.. objectively worst, but preferred by many.

I tried 07 and found the graphics even worst then I expected them to be... but then I do not have other reasons to want to like the old , since the new suits me fine. Most my friends who do play 07 do so because they either want to start over or because they feel left behind by all the fast passed changes The Floating Pen referred to.

Honestly, the opinions of those who prefer the older graphics can and should be largely ignored. If Jagex stuck with old graphics and old styles without bothering to modernize the game, RuneScape would become a game populated sparsely by long-term veterans. In other words, RuneScape would be left behind by the gaming industry.

• Like 1

If Jagex stuck with old graphics and old styles without bothering to modernize the game, RuneScape would become a game populated sparsely by long-term veterans. In other words, RuneScape would be left behind by the gaming industry.

There has been some argument that in some ways, it IS populated sparsely by mostly long-term veterans, and the gaming industry still doesn't take it seriously (not quite left behind to begin with, maybe?)

There has been some argument that in some ways, it IS populated sparsely by mostly long-term veterans, and the gaming industry still doesn't take it seriously (not quite left behind to begin with, maybe?)

I think part of it is that they never really tried to reach outside of their fanbase, and now "social" gaming (One of the big draws back in ye olde days) is so widespread that it's rarer to find a game without those features.

If the game is populated by veterans, then we have to look at why we do not have a strong influx of newer players.

Personally, I believe the biggest aspect which causes newer players to quit is simply the community, the atmosphere. This may be my nostalgia talking, but when I was a newbie, tons of higher level players helped me out, guiding me through the Black Knights' Fortress, leading me to certain locations, etc. Nowadays, such help is not necessary (the in-game World Map and Quest Markers, Home Teleports, and you can earn full Adamant in 1 day). The flip side is that newer players are not offered as much help and feel more isolated.

Those are just my thoughts, and I could probably write an article about that.

Al these people claiming RS is dieing and such, because the numbers are lower then they used to be do not realize the changes outside RS.

RS was a trend setter, with very little competition, nowadays there is soo much choice.

I think part of the community is very unwelcoming to new players also, wanting to feel superior. Every time Jagex makes an update aimed at the lower level players the high lev3el ones feel slighted.. B S .. A healthy game needs noobs, it need a pyramid of players. I realize this was less the case whit al the bots around who partly filled the roll of noobs, and maybe these bots will return, but I still prefer to have a healthy game with an influx of new players.

Jagex is working on this, as shown by them sponsoring a big article on some gamer site.

• Like 1

EoC definitely killed the game.

2012 was terrible.

"Nostalgic people prefer older graphics, true, but the introduction of more sophisticated graphics is pretty much objectively superior to older graphics, as far as objectivity goes in the gaming industry"

There's a difference between nostalgia, and that the new graphics look stupid. By all means minecraft doesn't have "sophisticated" graphics, and there are more minecraft memberships than runescape membersips, and there aren't even quests or story there.

EoC Gameplay turned the fun and unique (there was no other game like pre eoc RS) game, into a cheap copy, that was full of bugs and still isn't even balanced.