Chinning questions

Mon

About how many prayer potions are needed per 1k chins with/ without Hawk Eye? Also roughly how much exp will 1k chins get me at level 74?

Talking about grey chins, I probably won't use reds until 80+ and just to make it easier assume I have 0 prayer bonus and not using range potions. I'll most likely be going to bandits unless the Ape Atoll tunnels are significantly better.

Protect prayers use 1 prayer point every 3 seconds. Eagle eye is the same. (So both would be 1 point every 1.5 seconds) You didn't state your prayer level so I'm going to assume 44 for my convenience.

Prayer pots give you 14 points per dose at 44 prayer (56/28 seconds)

Red chins take 1.8 seconds to throw (1000 in 30 mins)

That works out as a little over 32/64 doses per 1k chins. This is not accounting for initial prayer, setting up, time spent not attacking...

FYI ape atoll is way better than bandits. Don't do bandits.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Cool, thanks for doing the math.

The only reason I didn't want to go to Ape Atoll was because you have to drop the bones but I checked out a few vids and it doesn't seem like too much of a hassle. Are there certain spots in the tunnel that are ideal for chinning?

No no no no no! Gah!

Why does everyone always say don't chin till 85 or so range? Do it early. As soon as possible. The early levels will go by very quickly, it's much better than extremely slowly getting to 85 using alternative methods and then busting out chins.

This is of course assuming you're not cannoning 99 slayer or something where it would make most sense to chin later rather than sooner.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Not using boost prayers/range pots is just huge waste of money and time..

Did you even read what I wrote? I said to make it easier just assume I won't be using those. This is just for a rough estimate and I can scale up the numbers I get.

@Power, Yeah I'm going to be cannoning through Slayer as well so I'd rather wait to use red chins for a while.

Did not know that, thanks. If I'm going to spend the cash though it seems like it would be a waste to not drop them.

Anyone know about how much exp 1k regular chins will get me? Obviously it can vary a lot but any estimates from those who have done it will be fine.

No no no no no! Gah!

Why does everyone always say don't chin till 85 or so range? Do it early. As soon as possible. The early levels will go by very quickly, it's much better than extremely slowly getting to 85 using alternative methods and then busting out chins.

This is of course assuming you're not cannoning 99 slayer or something where it would make most sense to chin later rather than sooner.

You don't chin until you're 99 slayer. You won't be less than 85 ranged by then, I promise. There is no reason to train ranged in 2007 except to get 99 in all skills, so you don't lose anything by waiting so long.

Ranged is less DPS than melee against other players, so it's not good in PVP outside of darkbow rushing. If you want to count that as a use, then sure, I'll allow it and admit that I was wrong. I don't think it really counts, though.

• Like 1

Given that both players are equal in skill, i.e. both are just as good at timing when to eat and when to switch to a k.o. weapon, little remains that isn't determined by DPS.

I have no interest in carrying this argument any further.

As my final point, then, I'll reiterate that PvP is much more complicated than that if you're experienced with PvP. For example, if you utilize safespots against people melee'ing you, then their DPS is reduced to 0. If you outrun them so they're out of energy, their DPS is reduced to 0. :thumbup:

And like I said, DPS isn't everything. Ability to KO and survive is more important.

77yLQy8.png

Range vs Melee staking the ranger will win the majority of the fights, most melee pures won't even stake a ranger. In the wild you have armor piercing and dragonfire effects. Range tanks are one of the best builds you can have in PvP.

Discussion =/= Arguing.

Given that both players are equal in skill, i.e. both are just as good at timing when to eat and when to switch to a k.o. weapon, little remains that isn't determined by DPS.

I have no interest in carrying this argument any further.

Ok so when you are frozen/entangled, your high melee DPS is really going to help you out in winning that fight. If you want to fit that example into your rigid schema, then we can just appreciate that there are instances in PvP where your DPS is completely out of your control.

LgEZt.png

Not to mention DPS isn't that reliable when a random streak of 30+ hits can come out of nowhere in a fight.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt

Hedge is completely correct actually.

Range is great for PVP on certain mid level builds, but on maxed pures OR maxed mains, melee is much better. Imagine having 99 attack strength defense and magic. Why would you ever use range? Not only is it lower DPS, it has much lower KO power. A 70 dragon bolt looks good but remember a DDS hits over 40-40 rapidly. Granite maul combos hit well over 100. Dharoks axe hits over 70 more reliably than the bolt.

Range's only purpose in the late game is to dark bow rush, and this is less effective than granite maul rushing anyway.

(Nobody seriously fights far casting tribrids FYI so it's a moot point unless you're luring)

CNqWHdA.jpg

But you can max out a range tank at ~100 combat, lower than a zerker can max attk and strength I believe and they are more effective in deep wildy. If you go out mage bank pking/ drags with just melee you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm mainly making one just because I got bored with melee pking before I quit back in 07. Not interested in making a 1-45 def pure like the majority of people pking right now. Not really the point of this thread though lol.

But you can max out a range tank at ~100 combat, lower than a zerker can max attk and strength I believe and they are more effective in deep wildy. If you go out mage bank pking/ drags with just melee you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm mainly making one just because I got bored with melee pking before I quit back in 07. Not interested in making a 1-45 def pure like the majority of people pking right now.

Yeah that's what I mean, a mid level account. A zerker would destroy you in a simple 1v1 edge fight (After teleing away from you a few times), but in higher wildy you have a good chance of killing hybrids and anyone stupid enough to be that deep with only melee, as you have best PVP DPS at that stage if you get out of melee range.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Hedge is completely correct actually.

Range is great for PVP on certain mid level builds, but on maxed pures OR maxed mains, melee is much better. Imagine having 99 attack strength defense and magic. Why would you ever use range? Not only is it lower DPS, it has much lower KO power. A 70 dragon bolt looks good but remember a DDS hits over 40-40 rapidly. Granite maul combos hit well over 100. Dharoks axe hits over 70 more reliably than the bolt.

Range's only purpose in the late game is to dark bow rush, and this is less effective than granite maul rushing anyway.

(Nobody seriously fights far casting tribrids FYI so it's a moot point unless you're luring)

Full Ahrims w/o farcasting will still win against maxed out meleers. Then there's also the fact that it lowers their attack by about 15 levels and strength by 5 levels about every 3 casts...

DDS and maul specs are easily countered via phoenix necklaces and they're easily-predictable (you see them equip spec weapons). Dragonfire bolts are completely random and unpredictable. Plus they aren't limited by your special attack energy.

Still, though, like I said-- melee DPS is reduced to 0 if a ranger safespots you.

Outside of the wilderness, ranged is useful for DK tribridding, barrows, and Fight Caves.

77yLQy8.png