Thinking about coming back for RS07 - how similar is it really?

exc4lipulze

This thread is directed toward those who actually played runescape during and before 2007, and who have started up on the 2007 servers now.

I loved playing runescape when I was growing up, and seeing these 2007 servers is giving me a ton of nostalgia and making me want to play. But I want to make sure I'm not just going to waste a bunch of hours preparing to play something that is nothing like the game I knew and loved.

How much like the real 2007 game are these new rollback servers? Just your overall feeling of the game - is it the same? Worse? Better? I know the playerbase for it is much smaller now, how does that affect things?

How is edgeville pking? Are there a lot of people and multiple worlds or is it just the same couple hundred pures fighting each other all day on the same world?

Specifically, I was an edgeville barrows pker at the height of my enjoyment of the game. Somewhere around 105 cb, vengeance, piety, fire cape, dharok KOing, it was truly a blast. Is this still a viable way to play the game? I've tuned into a few pking streams on twitch.tv and I don't think I've ever seen a barrows pker out there, and seemingly not even very many rune pures or like 85+ cb. Seems like there's a lot of granite mauling and low-level range tanking going on - pking styles I never particularly cared for because of the terrible loot involved. I never found much enjoyment in killing anyone unless it was for at LEAST a couple pieces of rune, and the thrill of high risk barrows skulling or even just trying to get a huge smite KO on someone for whip was what made the game what it was for me. Has pking devolved into just a bunch of <30k value kills, nobody risking anything?

Has pking devolved into just a bunch of <30k value kills, nobody risking anything?

Yes. It'll likely remain that way until:

-People realize 1 def pures are terrible

-People can afford to PK with whips, barrows, etc.

-People level up that high

So you're suggesting that it'll improve over time because the server is too new and no one has anything?

If that's the case, then I'll just take my sweet time leveling up and such and perhaps the base will be there for me when I'm ready. Or maybe stop and pk as a zerker for a while, I did enjoy that for a good while before I ever became a barrows pker.

Not sure I follow on the first point though, it's not like this is a new concept. 1 Def pures sucked in 2007 and of course they suck now.

Also why is your name so familiar lol.

Pretty much. I'm done playing/training until PK'ing looks like a fun environment. Kinda sad watching the guys who got 99 combat stats in a week go PK'ing and then having either nobody to fight or no decent loot to justify their training lol

Zerkers with 80 str are great for farming pures :thumbup:

77yLQy8.png

^The assumption it will get better may be flawed because this mild disillusionment with the game as is coupled with a surge of bots and payment structure supposed to be added in a few months after Jagex '6 month free as a thank you' thing could be the very factors that may it die out. If too many are disillusioned and stop playing, the bot populace to player ratio expands and the payment plan makes people less willing to play it the whole thing could slide into the same state as RSC, except with playing figures mildly bolstered by open to join.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

^The assumption it will get better may be flawed because this mild disillusionment with the game as is coupled with a surge of bots and payment structure supposed to be added in a few months after Jagex '6 month free as a thank you' thing could be the very factors that may it die out. If too many are disillusioned and stop playing, the bot populace to player ratio expands and the payment plan makes people less willing to play it the whole thing could slide into the same state as RSC, except with playing figures mildly bolstered by open to join.

Hmm, good points. Damn, it may well be a big waste of time. At the very least I can see that drawing new players into the game (to increase player base and compensate for those who quit) is probably going to be a huge sticking point for these servers...

• Like 1

Problem is the game has not been out long enough for enough people to get the stats for high level (barrow etc) pking, you just need to wait longer before that sort of stuff develops.

Wildy is full of pures as they are the quickest characters to make.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

The number of bots varies according to how active the players are. The less of a market there is for the bots, the less bots there will be.

77yLQy8.png

The number of bots varies according to how active the players are. The less of a market there is for the bots, the less bots there will be.

Very true but their presence can never the less put people off to the point of quitting hence why I included them in factors that leaves OSRS future very much in the air - at this young stage it could easily go either way, but it is at least worth acknowledging the seeds of it's possible demise do exist.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I just started playing on 2007 about a week ago and as far as I know a lot of people are still in the process of building up their accounts to pk as zerker pures ect. so that's why you may not see as many in the wild. As for how the server will develop over the next few months I suppose time will tell.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

From a skillers perspective, it's very much like it was in 07 and very fun.(Although, it feels so much slower after playing 08-10, lol)

As for pking, I'm sure that it's going to chance massively from what it is now(looots of pures), I know a few people who are still working on their zerkers, let alone someone working on a main.

jagerbluebt1.gif

Thx to MxM for parts of the sig!

It's identical, mechanically. Click on your dh axe for the kill and... Naa, the game refuses to let you switch items at the moment, try again later. Not one of the things I missed from 07 >.> Cool thing is they're adding little patches and updates from the newer game, but only ones that are voted in, and the community as a whole seems very against major changes like Curses or Corp, so it should just be a polished version of 07 and stuff like this should be fixed eventually

There are not a lot of barrows pkers at the moment simply because the servers are only a few months old and most people are still training and making money. The overly anxious to PK made pures so they could fight without getting great stats or expensive items.

The number of 40 def+ in the wildy rises every day, as does the average players bank, start training now and it'll be packed by the time you're ready yourself.

For the record it seems highly unlikely jagex will start charging more after the 6 months are up. On day 1 they said they "may" increase the cost, and to do so would just be a financial disaster as almost everyone would quit. (Many quit because too expensive, others quit out of principle, the rest quit because there's nobody else to play with) Not to mention the negative PR.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Also prices are starting to become more stable so now is a good a time as any to start a 2007 account if you're thinking about it.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

Zerkers with 80 str are great for farming pures :thumbup:

Because they're far out of most pure's effective combat range...

Nobody pks in barrows with whips and such because there arent many players up that high. Lots of pures do risk fights though if you want something more than a dds. W2 pures are starting to risk into the 100ks and a couple risk 1m.(not sure if legit though)

EDIT: I also think summer will the the best time to pk, everyone will be pretty much done with their accounts and all the kids will be running around the wilderness like the old days.

• Like 1

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I just started 2007RS too and was wondering if there's any way to trade new RS gold for old school gold. Is it against the rules?

Jagex seems content to condone it and regard it as essentially trust trading - they're fine with you doing it but there is no safety net if someone were to scam you.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.