My parents are going to kill me ...

Guest AshKaYu

I tell my parents straight out and express my (genuine) disappointment in myself when I do get a really low mark. Recently, I got 70% in my English assessment but much to my surprise, I was ranked 19th out of 64. I told my parents the bad news, and then the good news so I'm sure they had mixed feelings about the result.

:werd:

Show it to them and be upfront, but also get across that you're just as dissapointed with the mark as they were. Mention that you will try and study to get it up.

defense.gifattack.gif

0487908a226f010f311c94a3e13c7155.jpg[/url]

I realize you want to do well at all your subjects but looking at your courses you can tell that you're more of a fine arts student. I'm guessing doing well in your other courses comes naturally without much work. I think you should take some time out of concentrating on the courses that you're good at and focus them into math or english. If that's not the case then I guess you doing well in math just wasn't meant to be. Some people just never get it, it's not neccessarily a bad thing.

Zaataar.png

Guest AshKaYu
Geez, this is kinda sad. A good amount of individuals I know [including myself] 'suck' at Math, the most lovely [ :roll: ] subject I've ever known.

Throughout my years of being in school [i'm currently a Freshman]; I've always managed to pull off Math with a... B, save 8th Grade [best year ever; straight A's / A+'s], because I suppose our Arithmetic teacher was fairly lenient.

But, anyway, on-topic-- you should worry about it [one would not get anywhere if he or she didn't], and explain the situation to your parents that it's fairly self-inflicted, if that was the case. My parents aren't particularly 'fair' when it comes to education [but at least I don't get flogged with a pointy stick if I don't get straight A's], but if they know about the grade and its 'whereabouts', chances are, the situation will improve.

Maybe.

Oh, and the school I go to is kinda lenient; 60% is a passing grade [a D], but, with the competition to be accepted into Universities nowadays, one might as well go to a Community College-- a big fat 'D' slaughters everything.

I'm not in High School yet. Do universities look at your Junior High grades?

i would just tell them that it is JUST a midterm, nothing more, its not going on your transcript so dont worry about it, if you have good parents like i do you might even get them to help you talk to the teacher about how to get better

High School Universities don't look at Junior High Grades, but Junior High Grades have an important role in determining your future; they [usually] determine the classes you will receive in High School, which in turn affects Universities. :)

*cough* i suppose we are "off" topic here but i agree with pieguin.

However, if you have really nice records in your junior high, such as you receive a Noble Prize in your 7th grade, then I suggest you to include that in your resume to get the college's attention =D

newsignatureve2.gif

-Fear the power of the unseen apocalypse-

Your post got me really thinking.

I was a good student, but math was a weak subject for me, so I drifted in and out of honors classes. I also went to university to become an educator, so I have my own opinions on how math should be taught to the masses.

My short answer is just be blunt and tell your parents the truth. Mine didn't mind bad grades/marks if I could tell them I was still learning something. You seem to be saying that math doesn't really capture your interest if participation/effort is where you seem to be bombing, and I agree that you're probably more of a fine arts student.

Two other things. One, if you really want to start bringing your math grade up, find a way to make the subject more interesting to you. I couldn't stand math ed majors who bemoaned that new education practices in math would leave students unprepared for life later on. I figure, those that will graviate towards hi-tech and science careers will find what they need, and everyone else-- at least in grade school-- should be taught math in a way that is relevant to them. If they're sports fans, teach them story problems that are game-related, and turn them on to statistics later. If they're art students, teach them about perspective and about CGI applications, later. And so on.

The other thing is that grades aren't everything. Colleges and universities are interested in your extracurricular activities, your work experience, etc.-- at least the good ones do. I know that higher education is pulling more towards a career focus and that liberal arts is going the way of the dinosaur somewhat, but you can focus on a well-rounded education through a variety of studies, or real-world experiences, either way. Internships, work experience, and study abroad are becoming more important.

Sorry this post was so long-winded. Think about it, and good luck.

You can't compensate your 50% with your 95% ?
We could do that to a limited degree. And only within subjects.

For some subjects you'd have things like 'Basic knowledge' and then you'd have complex knowledge (the harder stuff). And then there was communication (just how well you expressed your answers).

Anyhow, grades would be made up out of the 3. I got the exact structure written down somewhere, but meah, it was something like this:

A: 90% basic 90% complex 90% communication

B: 75% basic 75% complex 80% communication

C: 50% basic n/a complex 50% communcation

D: <50% basic

E: <30% basic

Now back to the point, say you were at perhaps 100% basic, 88% complex and 95% communication, you would be sitting on a B grade because you don't meet the requirement for an A. Now this is where the trade off comes in, you could trade up to a certain percent (I think no more than 5%) from basic to complex, or from complex to basic. So in essence, you could have an A grade. But ONLY if you were within one or two percent from the cutoffs.

Sheez, that's complex. It was a lot easier at my school.

If you had an 8/10 for German and a 5/10 for English you could transfer a point from German to English so you'd pass with a 6/10 for English and a 7/10 for German. I think you had about three points for compensation.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Sheez, that's complex. It was a lot easier at my school.

If you had an 8/10 for German and a 5/10 for English you could transfer a point from German to English so you'd pass with a 6/10 for English and a 7/10 for German. I think you had about three points for compensation.

No offense, but that's one of the daftest things i've ever heard :P

If you can't speak English well enough you fail. Your German ability has (practically) nothing to do with how good you are at English so should have nothing to do with the grade :/

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

None taken, I haven't made the rule. It's quite handy when you're bad a certain subject though.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!