"Rate my room" thread removed. Reason:

Sunli

I saw you guys made a topic with pictures about your rooms, but like with real life pictures of your self, we can not allow this.

This for your own safety.

Nice initiativ though, but please make sure you never post something that can reveal any personal details about your real life. Theres a lot of sick people out there and we wouldnt like one of them to come visit you just because we let them guess where you live from these pictures/information.

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else;

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The several that existed in the past didn't seem to be a problem? Or are you saying they were a problem, just undiagnosed :P

Yes, it makes me jumpy just the thought of that someone can be able to read something personal from papers laying on the desk to pictures on the wall with names or faces that can be recognized.

We, the admins, talked about this on scapebaord, and we pretty much agreed that those pics can be as bad as real life pictures.

rejna.png

-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)

not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

So surely any photos that people have taken shouldn't be allowed as someone might know the place it was taken and realise that the poster frequents it? That's just a joke.

But this isn't - what about pet pictures? Surely they are in the same boat?

I get really frustrated with the nanny-state feeling of this board, how some of the rules make the admins seem like parents/teachers. Doesn't mean I don't understand why it's done though. It's just frustrating.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I get really frustrated with the nanny-state feeling of this board, how some of the rules make the admins seem like parents/teachers. Doesn't mean I don't understand why it's done though. It's just frustrating.

I do understand your point - but still we cant take those chanses. Another aspect we have to consider is the possible lawsuits we could get amongts us if the worst case scenario should happen.

rejna.png

Couldn't you just make every person who signs up agree that Tip.it is not responsible for anything that might happen if the user posts pictures or something like that? I don't know how you could make existing users sign an agreement, but surely if you could do something like that, wouldn't it relieve you of any responsibility?

Just wondering.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

Logic, i'm sure they can easily just put it in the terms and conditions, but I think the big thing is they wouldn't want to have that guilt of "because of your site so -and- so got stalked and killed."

Oh my god Sunli, that was meant to be a PM to you! Honestly didn't mean to post it :oops:

Apologies!

Lol you silly! *wubs you* :P

rejna.png

Logic, i'm sure they can easily just put it in the terms and conditions, but I think the big thing is they wouldn't want to have that guilt of "because of your site so -and- so got stalked and killed."

Right on the spot! :D

rejna.png

I think that you're far more likely to get injured when you cross a road than when you post a picture of your room on tip.it.

I know why you do it, you're obsessed with reducing risk to zero, as is the rest of society. But zero risk doesn't exist.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

But zero risk doesn't exist.

True, that. And each step one tries to take to get closer to zero risk, one takes away liberties, fun features and basically reasons to visit the board.

It is important for the administration to remember that they are not the board users parents. It is the parents' job to ensure the safety of their children - its not like its a board filled with independent 12 year olds. This is one of hundreds of sites any child will frequent, it is impossible to stop them doing something.

I've seen this board change a huge amount in the nearly 5 years I have been a member and sometimes I think that whilst the basis of decisions is obviously safety, there's only so much you can do to protect people from their own stupidity. And only so much until we have a whitelist of topics allowed to be discussed.

Anyone remember the 'new' runescape chat filter where it only allowed you to say preprogrammed words?

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I think that you're far more likely to get injured when you cross a road than when you post a picture of your room on tip.it.

I know why you do it, you're obsessed with reducing risk to zero, as is the rest of society. But zero risk doesn't exist.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I could see the reason for no personal pictures, even though I disagree with it.

However, this is just a step too far I think. Were there actually any pictures that showed personal information on papers? I don't remember any. If there were lots, I could see the reason, but if there was only one or two, why not pm the user and let them know the risk involved, or remove it yourself?

You're cutting down on a slew of extremely fun forum activities because of the vague possibility that somone will be stalked/killed, and the even more vague possibility that the reason this occured was because of something a user posted here.

If you disallow room pictures, you need to take the next step. Don't allow anyone to post even a vague allusion as to where they live, or what their real-life name is. Because you know what I can do? Go to myspace, and search for hours until I find one with the user's name in the user's area that seems, by the typing patterns, to be the user.

What can I do with that user's myspace? Find out a wealth of knowledge about that user, his habits, etc.

This is, honest to god, the only site I know where the administration is this anal about one type of personal info, but doesn't care about other people.

How many people under the age of 13 do we have here? I hope to god not many. This is a forum with a large age range, not a bleeding kid's network.

IRKAa.jpg

This is a forum with a large age range, not a bleeding kid's network.

Nor is My space, and we all know what the media are saying about that.

However, this is just a step too far I think. Were there actually any pictures that showed personal information on papers? I don't remember any. If there were lots, I could see the reason, but if there was only one or two, why not pm the user and let them know the risk involved, or remove it yourself?

Ditto

I understand your reasoning for not allowing rl pictures of yourself. But with that said, not allowing pictures of ones room is a bit too far. Where does the censorship stop? I know occationally people post pictures they've taken in media discussion as photography is a form of art. But, should we start censoring that too since often these pictures are taken of their hometown/surroundings?

If it ever got that far steve than I would see it getting out of line.

However, i'm still very "meh" about the rooms thing. I mean, yeah, if someone did have something that they could see (picture of family) than that could be taken care of, but a room? I realy doubt the way that your room looks tells so much.

I really disagree with the decision to remove the thread. Real life pictures I can understand, but what harm can be done with pictures of your room? Chances are that you will never know who the person is based on their room..

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

I could see the reason for no personal pictures, even though I disagree with it.

You're cutting down on a slew of extremely fun forum activities because of the vague possibility that somone will be stalked/killed, and the even more vague possibility that the reason this occured was because of something a user posted here.

If you disallow room pictures, you need to take the next step. Don't allow anyone to post even a vague allusion as to where they live, or what their real-life name is. Because you know what I can do? Go to NotSafeForYou, and search for hours until I find one with the user's name in the user's area that seems, by the typing patterns, to be the user.

What can I do with that user's NotSafeForYou? Find out a wealth of knowledge about that user, his habits, etc.

This is, honest to god, the only site I know where the administration is this * about one type of personal info, but doesn't care about other people.

How many people under the age of 13 do we have here? I hope to god not many. This is a forum with a large age range, not a bleeding kid's network.

Testify brutha!

I agree, this is getting rediculous.

:?

Also, at teh rate this is going, why not remove the pet pictuers and desktop pictures. If a killer can track you down from the picture of your room, I'm sure he can also do it from a picture of your pet\desktop. Also remove the "location" field while we're at it, you know what? Scrap the whole forum, you can find out about someone regarldess of pics or whatnot

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

Along the same lines of keeping anonymity, you should ban regional english dialects, the "location" detail for the users, the entire Off Topic forum, and just have pre-determined posts that the users can pick from.

I love you guys to death :).. but I'm sorry to see you're still ridiculously conservative. :(

I understand the motive behind this.. as I did all of your previous decisions, but you really can get TOO protective and overbearing. People come here to talk about a videogame and enjoy eachother's company. This isn't the wittness protection program.

~Rease

Yeah i'm not sure why the location deal hasn't been taken away yet at this pace... It's practicly screaming "THIS IS WHERE I LIVE!"

I was being sarcastic.. wasn't offering a bandwagon to jump on. ;)

Mostly me too, but hey, I like bandwagons :(.