Lava Strykewyrms

taco21

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone could help me with how to go about doing my lava strykewyrms task. Since they're in the wilderness, I've been using my welfare gear of a crystal bow + royal d hide, while using like ~50 sharks to kill maybe 14 at most per trip (~20 min/trip). This has been extremely inefficient, but I want to at least finish this task before I block it in the future.

Does anyone have any tips in terms of (cheap) gears or combat for battling these creatures? I've been deflecting range with its bouncing ball and mage without :S. 

Thanks!

You can protect up to 4 items with item protect and not skulling.

Nox, full deathlotus, silverhawk boots, royal spiky vambraces, skill cape, archer's ring, glory. Bring overloads and an enhanced excalibur.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Nox, full deathlotus, silverhawk boots, royal spiky vambraces, skill cape, archer's ring, glory. Bring overloads and an enhanced excalibur.

Ah, thank you so much! Is my strategy of praying alright? Soul split always seems to not outheal their dps.... 

Are there also any alternatives for the nox longbow for those who can't afford it? >< 

As a general rule of thumb, never ever take anything you aren't 100% alright with losing.

I sure as heck would not want to lose my nox, so I'm not even going to think about taking it.

If you don't want to take nox, you can take royal cbow (1m if you lose it), crystal bow (100k), or even blisterwood cbow (free)

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

^ I'd say that rule is a bit ott.

As long as you do not attack anyone you will not be skulled making 3 items 100% safe.

If you take the sign/portent of item protection 4 items are 100% safe

Protect Item prayer can protect a 5th BUT it does rely on you maintaining prayer points until you die so it's not 100% safe.

Therefore as a rule I'd say take 4 good items with the sign/portent.

Then 5th item considering taking an ok item that it'd be best if you did not lose but if you do lose it its not the end of the world

Then rest of items be welfare.

With those 4 100% safe items you can take your best wep plus a full head/body/leg armour set or beat dual wield with head and legs.

After all it is easy to not get skulled as you only skull if you started combat and if your worried at all about someone finding a bug (there were some to do with familars they have since fixed) just turn auto-retal off then you will not attack unless you click to do so.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

One small caveat with that plan is that sign and portent of item protection do not actually work in PvP areas (i.e. the wilderness) even for a PvM death.

But I think penance + item protection should save 1 item even if you get skulled, since it would keep enough prayer points, right?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I thought it was sign didn't work in pvp or wildy, but portent was just not pvp.

Just going from what wiki says mind, been a while since I used either.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

^ I'd say that rule is a bit ott.

As long as you do not attack anyone you will not be skulled making 3 items 100% safe.

If you take the sign/portent of item protection 4 items are 100% safe

Protect Item prayer can protect a 5th BUT it does rely on you maintaining prayer points until you die so it's not 100% safe.

Therefore as a rule I'd say take 4 good items with the sign/portent.

Then 5th item considering taking an ok item that it'd be best if you did not lose but if you do lose it its not the end of the world

Then rest of items be welfare.

With those 4 100% safe items you can take your best wep plus a full head/body/leg armour set or beat dual wield with head and legs.

After all it is easy to not get skulled as you only skull if you started combat and if your worried at all about someone finding a bug (there were some to do with familars they have since fixed) just turn auto-retal off then you will not attack unless you click to do so.

Signs/portents of item protection DO NOT work in the wilderness. The only way to protect a fifth item is with a fury shark.

Ah, thank you so much! Is my strategy of praying alright? Soul split always seems to not outheal their dps.... 

Are there also any alternatives for the nox longbow for those who can't afford it? ><

They attack with both ranged and magic if attacking from a distance, but according to the wiki they use range attacks more often, so if you want to pray, pray range. You can also switch your overhead prayers between magic and range mid kill. Use devotion and debilitate to reduce damage taken.

Attuned Crystal bow, royal crossbow, ascension crossbow. Just make sure you're at least ALWAYS item protecting in the wilderness, EVEN IF NOT SKULLED. It hardly drains any prayer.  Use yak with rocktails/sharks and game's necklace to corp cave and run west to get back fast, or use the wilderness lodestone teleport and run up.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

You assume that there are no bugs that force you to skull. For the longest time, if you were using a familar, someone could damage them without skulling, have the familar attack them, and place a skull on you.

Regardless if what anyone says, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING YOU AREN'T PREPARED TO LOSE.

You can skull, be it via a bug or a misclick, and if you do, and lose your bank, don't blame tipit :)

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

You assume that there are no bugs that force you to skull. For the longest time, if you were using a familar, someone could damage them without skulling, have the familar attack them, and place a skull on you.

Regardless if what anyone says, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING YOU AREN'T PREPARED TO LOSE.

You can skull, be it via a bug or a misclick, and if you do, and lose your bank, don't blame tipit :)

That's a bug in multi way combat, worms are in single way. But yes, always be on the cautious side and don't risk too much. Karil's with a nox is just fine though.

4K469.png