Runefest - Bonds Announcment

Sally

Taken from this thread on the official forums: http://[Use Quick Find Code]/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?417,418,1,65800021 QFC: 417-418-1-65800021

Update: FAQ added below.

Hi everyone,

As ever around this time of year, we’re knee-deep in planning another spectacular RuneFest and, yes, it’s definitely happening! We’re incredibly excited about this year’s event as we celebrate RuneScape’s 15th year anniversary and have a barrage of ideas to unleash at RuneFest 2016. 

We’ll be sharing more details with you once everything is locked down but, just to tease, it may be an idea to pack your seafaring gear and beachwear…

First off, we wanted to give you a heads-up on one thing that we find ourselves having to change regarding the way tickets etc can be obtained. 

After a long period of investigation and some in depth analysis, we have reached the conclusion that we’re unable to offer the purchase of tickets, hotels or flights using Bonds this year. This isn’t a decision we’ve taken lightly or through a simple matter of choice; there’s a whole host of complicated reasons that have come into play. 

We know this isn’t what some of you want to hear and, believe us, we’ve done our very best to look at alternate solutions. However, right now, there isn’t an workable alternative to the situation we find ourselves, hence why we’ve haven’t been able to share full details on the event to date. 

We wanted to get this information out there as soon as possible to give everyone an opportunity to make arrangements to attend RuneFest. As always, the whole RuneScape team are really looking forward to catching up with you all at what will be a spectacular event.

What we can announce now is that as in previous years, tickets to the RuneFest event will be priced at £99 (plus booking fee). Details of location, venue and date will follow in the very near future. 

Mod Balance & The RuneFest Team

FAQ

Are Jagex doing this to make more money?
No - RuneFest is not run to make a profit, and we fully expect the event to cost us more as a result of this change.

Is this related to the potential acquisition of Jagex by an investor?
This change would've needed to happen regardless of whether Jagex were being acquired or not, it is not related to the potential acquisition.

Why weren't we told sooner?
The changes we've made are the result of some recent changes in circumstances. We are incredibly sorry that we have been unable to tell you sooner, but we did not want to share information either way unless we were absolutely certain what the outcome of our investigations would be.

Is RuneFest moving to a different country this year?
Current plans are that RuneFest will be in the UK again this year.

Other notes
We appreciate this may be disappointing for players who have been purchasing Bonds to save for RuneFest; we're incredibly sorry! We've been looking at every possible route to make the offering feasible, but have reached the conclusion that it will not be possible this year.

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

Thank goodness to be honest, the market doesn't need that sort of shock again (which I assume is the reason).

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

They can't even say why, lol.

The fact that you could RWT @ $.25 per million and use that to buy bonds for almost half the cost should be reason enough. However, I've heard some theories about the legality of turning real money into virtual goods into other virtual goods into real money again, thereby avoiding taxes and stuff.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

They can't even say why, lol.

The fact that you could RWT @ $.25 per million and use that to buy bonds for almost half the cost should be reason enough. However, I've heard some theories about the legality of turning real money into virtual goods into other virtual goods into real money again, thereby avoiding taxes and stuff.

Every bond is $5.99 for Jagex, regardless of it being acquired via in-game gold bought at 25¢ a million.

Also, I'm pretty sure virtual goods generally aren't taxed to begin with. Bonds aren't.

Or wait, did you mean the legality of turning bonds into Runefest tickets? Were RF tickets taxed to begin with?

Thank goodness to be honest, the market doesn't need that sort of shock again (which I assume is the reason).

What do you mean by that? Culd you elaborate? What kind of shock are you talking about?

When you have (rich) people buying a hundred bonds, the demand pushes up prices. When bond prices increase by a few million players who regularly buy and consume them have a harder time keeping up. Some will be unable or unwilling to keep it up and drop membership and/or quit for a while. It's just meh...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

What do you mean by that? Culd you elaborate? What kind of shock are you talking about?

When you have (rich) people buying a hundred bonds, the demand pushes up prices. When bond prices increase by a few million players who regularly buy and consume them have a harder time keeping up. Some will be unable or unwilling to keep it up and drop membership and/or quit for a while. It's just meh...

Fallacy of the broken window. Its great for those selling the bonds, even while it sucks for those who buy. Two sides, that which is seen and that which is unseen.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]