Building My Own Computer

MyPurpleCrayon

So I'm basically building my own computer... I posted my options down below, and that is all I have for now. Help me choose the graphics card please, and tell me if you think I'm making the right decision.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

And I have no idea what to get.

I really want a gaming PC, I'm leaning towards Alienware or something. But I seriously have no idea on the subject. I just really want to get rid of this old crappy Dell. But I probably won't be able to spend over 1,000 USD.

Maybe I should build my own computer, but I don't know what parts I should get... you guys could help me out there too.

Thanks in advance.

Just be forewarned that Dell acquired Alienware :P

(I don't think anything has changed except maybe customer support at most though? I maybe wrong)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

awesome, getting a new computer is so much fun :D

id have say now that i wouldnt build another computer (too many problems) but my case probably was because im incompetant, so you should be fine.

ok, so your budget is 1000 and you want a gaming pc. how much of your old computer are you willing to use for the new one? or are you planning on having two computers? if you dont mind using some of your old parts, it would definently allow you to get more performance out of your dollar.

lets say you are going to use parts from your old dell computer. the things you can probably keep: monitor, keyboard, mouse, case, cd drives, hard drive (make sure you back up everything now, you will have to reinstall windows) and modem if its pci. the only things you will need to upgrade will be your motherboard, processor, ram, a new video card, and possibly a new power supply.

ill see what other people think of this plan, this is what i did with my computer. ill start looking on newegg at prices.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

CPU

With regards to the CPU you have two main options, the first is the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ , this single core processor has what it takes to play most games at high details and at good FPS. There is little advantage in buying faster models.

THe main CPU alternative would be the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ , although similar to the previous one it has two cores instead of one. It would give increase performance for multi-tasking and for a limited number of software which can take advantage of the second core (The amount of supported software is almost certainly going to increase). There is a third option which is a dual cored AMD Opteron 165, it is simalar to the x2 3800+

Video Card

The video card is most often the limiting factor when it comes to overall system performance for playing games. I would suggest you purchase a nVidia 7900GT, they sell for around $300 on newegg. A cheaper option would be the 7600GT or the 6800GS.

Memory

Unless you plan on overclocking there is not much benefit to gain from buying expensive memory. Stick with value stuff. I would suggest you go dual core, either 2x512mb or 2x1GB

Storage

Hard-disk storage is quite cheap nowadays, look for a drive with the following specs 7200rpm, 8mb Cache and Serial ATA. Although the performance increase from 8mb cache and Serial ATA is nothing spectacular. Seagate and Western Digital are good brands.

PSU

A good quality PSU (Power supply) is recommended, I would suggest one made by either ANtec or Enermax, they are good quality and at a reasonable price. Get one with a wattage of 400+

CPU

With regards to the CPU you have two main options, the first is the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ , this single core processor has what it takes to play most games at high details and at good FPS. There is little advantage in buying faster models.

THe main CPU alternative would be the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ , although similar to the previous one it has two cores instead of one. It would give increase performance for multi-tasking and for a limited number of software which can take advantage of the second core (The amount of supported software is almost certainly going to increase). There is a third option which is a dual cored AMD Opteron 165, it is simalar to the x2 3800+

Video Card

The video card is most often the limiting factor when it comes to overall system performance for playing games. I would suggest you purchase a nVidia 7900GT, they sell for around $300 on newegg. A cheaper option would be the 7600GT or the 6800GS.

Memory

Unless you plan on overclocking there is not much benefit to gain from buying expensive memory. Stick with value stuff. I would suggest you go dual core, either 2x512mb or 2x1GB

Storage

Hard-disk storage is quite cheap nowadays, look for a drive with the following specs 7200rpm, 8mb Cache and Serial ATA. Although the performance increase from 8mb cache and Serial ATA is nothing spectacular. Seagate and Western Digital are good brands.

PSU

A good quality PSU (Power supply) is recommended, I would suggest one made by either ANtec or Enermax, they are good quality and at a reasonable price. Get one with a wattage of 400+

Alright these are the basics of what I am getting...

Asus A8N-SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2+ Dueal-Core Processor with Fan

A8N-SLI Containts four 184-pin DDR SDRAM memory slots. They can support of to four DDR400/DDR333/DDR266 ECC/ non-ECC un buffered DDR SDRAM memory.

Either a XFX GeForce 6600 GT PCle 256MB or an eVGA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB PCle

This is all I have picked out for now, help me decide on the videocard.

Also, do you think it's good that I am going with AMD instead of Pentium?

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

I would go with the eVGA GeForce 7600 GT, it is slightly more expensive, but it is much faster and a much newer card.

Yes you are 100% right to go with AMD, their desktop CPU currently dominate in most benchmarks, they run cooler and use less power. Pentium currently has little going for it.