Politics and Religion

wolfboy

Isn't the better arguement for why God allows suffering is because we cannot truly understand his ideas?

Humans allow suffering, it is entirely in our hands. We allow for starvation and war to occur on this planet.

yes, but this is in the eyes of a theist. Theists believe that since god is omnipotent. He has the power to stop suffering. But he doesn't - Explanation, we don't understand god's intentions

Or maybe suffering and problems make life worth living, if you can believe it. Can you imagine a world where nothing goes wrong? I think that would be extremely boring and there would be no way to develop character and life skills, etc.

There's also the free will argument but that one's been beaten to death.

Maybe, but that brings us to contradiction. How much does God love us? he could stop suffering and leave us all to boredom, or he could allow suffering making millions of people have horrible lives.

I guess he took the lesser of two evils

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GhostRanger
Maybe, but that brings us to contradiction. How much does God love us? he could stop suffering and leave us all to boredom, or he could allow suffering making millions of people have horrible lives.

I think that the more you love someone, the more you are willing to let them make their own mistakes. Parents do it all the time with children.

I don't think it's a contradiction like you suggest. I think allowing someone to make mistakes and allowing them to enjoy joy even more (by comparing it to sorrow) is the greatest kind of love.

Let me explain it this way. If you had a kid, would you let them skateboard? Probbably. But if you did, then he would get hurt. Unless, of course, you put so many pads on him that he couldn't ever enjoy the sport. So you're left with two choices. Either, he has no fun or he has no pain.

God chose to let us have fun and excitement but with those comes pain and suffering. He, in his omniscience, found that this would bring the greatest pleasure to us which results in the greatest pleasure to Him.

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D