Alot of Lag (RS)

KurtangleTN

So, I normally have no problems with lag. I run a sweet 9mbps connection, so normally no problems.

I do have a wireless router and use it, sometimes it would go out, but mainly no problem.

Recently my dad changed the settings around, (not knowing what he was doing) and he said he changed the channel, I have no clue what one it was on before, or in reality what it does.

Anyone know if this could be the problem and what channel should I put it on?

The lag is extremely random, and then it sorta freezes for 3 or so seconds and then its fine agian.

runescapesig7gw.png

Current Goal: Fire Cape, 0-6 at the caves 0-3 agianst the Jad, Lag done me in.

I believe the default channel for wifi connections is 6. I'm not exactly sure if it'll solve your problem, but it's worth a try. (you can always press the button to return the router to default settings)

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

REALLY DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS:

I'm sure 6 and 13 ring a bell for me.. but yeah, restoring defaul settings usually works great.

92/99 Fishing | 119/120 Combat | 92/99 Firemaking | 94/99 Fletching | 1878/1900 Total | 85/85 Slayer | 80/80 Prayer

5389_08e10c.png

7476_125ca6.png

REALLY DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS:

I'm sure 6 and 13 ring a bell for me.. but yeah, restoring defaul settings usually works great.

Yeah after I put it on 6 (which is the default) and it still happened I left the fight caves and reset it.

Hopefully this works..

runescapesig7gw.png

The channels that you can use in North America are between channel 1 and 11, most of Europe are 1 and 13, in Japan all 14 channels and for France channels 10-13.

It depends where you live to what the default is. The default for North America and most of Europe is 3; the default for France is 11, and the default for Japan is 14.

RSN :: Wooden_Fire

Time Zone :: GMT

I did put it on default, no dice.

I can't really figure out what the problem is, it could be a problem with the router but I bought it less then 5 months ago...

A better description then "freezing" would be it looks like its going to disconnect but it comes back.

I have a couple other routers that aren't or wasn't as good as this current one i'l try soon to see.

runescapesig7gw.png

It may be your internet service providor. They may have troublesss. Sometimes when there's thunder mine turns off except I have power :shock:

Make sure you have no firewall and not a lot of programs running - Check for spyware or Adware with "AdAware" :)

Legend%20Gaara.jpeg

Legendary F2P Skiller

1) Run a speed test on your line. http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ has always been a reliable test for anyone's line I've used it on.

2) Try multiple wireless channels and run a speedtest on each to see if you may be getting interference on any specific channel.

3) If you can, run an ethernet cable to a computer in the house and check if you're wired speeds match your wireless speeds. Both should easily max out a 9mbps down pipe if your router is only 5 months old.

If the speeds threw both the wired and wireless on your router aren't matching what you should be getting, plug directly into your modem and test speeds threw there. If it matches your router and didn't max out your line, you most likely need to call your ISP. If you max out threw the modem, but not the router, time to start looking at settings again or try out another router.

It's all a matter of hit and miss when it comes to trouble shooting computer problems unfortunately. :?