Which Linux Distro?

andyrules89

Its close to a new school year for me, and I'm a linux newbie so I'd thought to start the year with a clean computer.

I'm currently running:

Pentium II at 300 mhz

258 mb of RAM

3.2 GB of Harddrive space

Windows XP Pro Serivce Pack 1 (too lazy to get service pack 2)

I used to run Redhat 9 but it was way to complicated for me and I can't install linspire for some reason.

I'm looking for something that doesn't take up more than 2 GB of space and is easy to use. I'm thinking of Ubuntu, but I'm not sure if my computer is fast enough.

andysigwhitemc.jpg

dude i got pked and lost my full zezima

That test said I'd be using Gentoo or Slackware.

Anyways, they're both pretty easy as long as you read the documentation for a few minutes before installing and know some general PC knowledge.

I suggest Sourcemage, but if you don't have a 'shiney new' computer you'll be waiting for compile times quite a bit.

FreeBSD is also a great choice for other UNIX operating system (Not related to Linux). The software selection is almost identical, it includes Linux emulation for proprietary software, and has source + binary packages. It's got a nice curses installer and good documentation.

I went with Ubuntu...seemed very easy and simple to use. Just wished i had read about kubuntu before installing Ubuntu...but oh well. Thanks Guys!

:-w *cough* I WON */cough* \' Well for somereason i knew you were gonna go with Ubuntu(ooo-BOONT-ooo) :-w

personally if i was you, and since your new to linux i recommend you use Fedora, its easy to use for new users, whats what im using and been using since i started using linux

Ubuntu, is till also good for new users, but i would have picked fedora, best of luck with your experience

~bmms

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Wasn't fedora an extension of Redhat?

The reason i didn't go with fedora is because i had a bad experience with redhat.

It's not really much of an extension anymore. Anyways, I prefer it over Ubuntu. The package managing utilities are much nicer.

When redhat first came out, it was designed for servers i belive, but soon after they devoloped fedora for the normal PC.

Now they are splitting apart, and fedora seems more popular over normal redhat these days.

yourmysin.jpeg

Current Goals

80/80 Fletching

60/75 Woodcutting

97/100 Combat

I was redhat's package management that drove me crazy. It would drive me in loops on end. For example if i wanted to isntall File A, I needed File B. I want to install file B it wanted file C. I try installing File c, it needed File A.

andysigwhitemc.jpg

dude i got pked and lost my full zezima

I was redhat's package management that drove me crazy. It would drive me in loops on end. For example if i wanted to isntall File A, I needed File B. I want to install file B it wanted file C. I try installing File c, it needed File A.

lmao.

yourmysin.jpeg

Current Goals

80/80 Fletching

60/75 Woodcutting

97/100 Combat