LimeWire sued by the RIAA

zeekyhbomb

I've never quite understood why people would pay for a program that causes the loss of billions.

I've never quite understood why people would happily pirate music but then feel the urge to pay for a program to do it.

They caused 20,000 kids to go to a community college because the kid's had to pay off the debt.

As much as I hate the RIAA, that just isn't true. They have barely filed 20,000 lawsuits and certainly have not caused 20,000 to go to community college. Do feel free to try and prove to the contrary.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the riaa does it more or less to line their own pocketbooks, not the artists. if it was the artists suing, then i would be ok with it. they are just protecting their intellectual property. i know downloading is wrong, i just cant help myself sometimes :lol: .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Mass court action would have to be taken...There are easily more than 2million limewire users. How do they prove you have infringed Copyright? Simply by using the software you do not nescesarily break copyright if you stick to downloading only licesned files. People here about this, they backup, then wipe thier computer (then rewrite thier hd), and how can anyoen prove that you have infringed copryright?

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

They can't prove anything.

This is also the case with the current lawsuits - people are actually starting to stand up for themselves and saying that an IP address does not equal a person, the RIAA is then promptly dropping the cases to avoid further embarrassment & legal costs.

This is also why the RIAA is seeking to have gagging orders placed on all their cases - so other victims can't find out that they can prove themselves to be innocent and the RIAA's bullying can continue.

Basically the RIAA suing individuals is a bluff. They never want the case to go to court, they only want to pressurise the individual into coughing up a settlement. When people call the RIAA's bluff they back down.

sigh..my "friend" told me to download it..at the time i wasent aware it was illegal.....well I guess il be getting a bill for the 4 songs I downloaded...

No, you won't.

Another thing that is ridiculous is the so-called value of tracks that people download, they claim that people have tens of thousands of dollars worth of music on their computers and that they are causing tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to the music industry but this just isn't so. The mistake (deliberate or otherwise) that they are making is that they are counting every downloaded track as a lost sale, whereas in actuality in the majority of cases if the person weren't able to obtain the track for free then they wouldn't have bothered buying it.

sigh..my "friend" told me to download it..at the time i wasent aware it was illegal.....well I guess il be getting a bill for the 4 songs I downloaded...

No, you won't.

Another thing that is ridiculous is the so-called value of tracks that people download, they claim that people have tens of thousands of dollars worth of music on their computers and that they are causing tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to the music industry but this just isn't so. The mistake (deliberate or otherwise) that they are making is that they are counting every downloaded track as a lost sale, whereas in actuality in the majority of cases if the person weren't able to obtain the track for free then they wouldn't have bothered buying it.

My friend also told me to download it. I didn't know it was illegal, until I downloaded like 17,000 songs. :\ I thought it was like MSN, how you can send songs/files to people. I was too stupid at the time. :\

Foogey.png

I <3 Gears of War 2.

Add me on Xbox Live and mention you are from Tif :D

i have like 3k worth of songs on my comp, im the kind of person they go after

im also the kind of person who used hide ip platinum \' \' gonna be a LONG trip to malaysia

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

im also the kind of person who used hide ip platinum \' \' gonna be a LONG trip to malaysia

Which leads us back again to: why pay for a program which you can do easily for free.

Laziness.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

To be honest I've always supported getting rid of music pirating. Even if the RIAA is doing this for their own benefit, the end result is that music artists are being stood up for, and I appreciate that.
Yha, but some artists don't mind being downloaded. Like fall out boy, so if they don't mind shoulden't it be alright?

:evil: Words cannot express how much I hate the RIAA. As long as these copyright laws exist the record companies will exploit them to sue anybody they can to make some quick money.

I for one hope Limewire wins this case and even finds a way to counter sue the RIAA just to make an example of them. :x This is about principle.

Tetsuya.png

To be honest I've always supported getting rid of music pirating. Even if the RIAA is doing this for their own benefit, the end result is that music artists are being stood up for, and I appreciate that.
Yha, but some artists don't mind being downloaded. Like fall out boy, so if they don't mind shoulden't it be alright?

Okay, I'm going to just put up a bunch of arguments people use when trying to justify downloading.

Argument #1:

"The artists like the publicity, so I can download all of their music for free!"

Answer: If the artists really want you downloading their music, then they'll make their music available for download via a site like MySpace (shudder), or on their website. For example, see the New Amsterdams website - they have a full album available for download. My point is, if a band wanted you downloading their music, they will personally make it available for download. If you need to use P2P software to get their music, they probably don't want you stealing their music.

Argument #2:

"I don't have any money! I can't afford CDs!"

Answer: Quite bluntly, suck it up. CDs are a luxury, not a necessity, and thus being poor doesn't justify your illegal actions.

Argument #3:

"It's not against the law in my country!"

Answer: If you want to hide behind the law, then you'd better not be breaking any other laws, ever. It seems people only ever pull out the law argument when it benefits them. If they're ever breaking the law, you'll never hear them speak of it. Sure, it may be legal, but bringing the law into it is a double-standard for 99% of the male teenager population.

Argument #4:

"I didn't know it's illegal!"

Answer: Ignorance is not an argument. And I really doubt you're going to go delete all the music you've downloaded.

Argument #5:

"It's only a song or two!"

Answer: Then pay for a song or two, on iTunes.

Arugment #6:

"The artists don't make any money on CDs anyways. It's all about concert ticket sales"

Answer: Basically, artists make around $1 on every CD sold.

Argument #7:

"Since every single artist is totally rich I can steal from them"

Answer: Not every single artist is rich. But even if they were, stealing music from them is [developmentally delayed]ed. Car dealers are rich, but if I went and stole a beamer, you'd think that was stupid, wouldn't you?

summerpngwy6.jpg

Words cannot express how much I hate the RIAA. As long as these copyright laws exist the record companies will exploit them to sue anybody they can to make some quick money.

As opposed to you, who takes away the money that the record companies rightfully and legally should be getting for the music you are stealing (as well as the recording artitsts)? They're not exploiting anybody, they're simply taking what they deserve from a select few. It's not like these select few are being brutally stolen from, in reality it is everyone else being shown grace.

It's all about principle really.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I for one hope Limewire wins this case and even finds a way to counter sue the RIAA just to make an example of them.

Almost certainly not going to happen, look at the outcome of the Grokster case.

Argument #3:

If it's not against the law in your country then you won't get sued by the RIAA, nor would they have the power to sue you.

It seems people only ever pull out the law argument when it benefits them.

Are you suggesting they should feel guilty for doing something that is completely legal where they live? If someone stands accused of breaking the law when they aren't, what do you expect them to do besides pull out the law argument?

I was allowed to buy alcohol aged 18 here, does that mean I should feel guilty because some american (not talking about you, anyway I assume you're Canadian) came over here and accused me of hiding behind the law? Or how about the example of someone from Amsterdam smoking marijuana in a coffee shop? They are liberties granted to the person by their country's legislature.

It isn't as though the people who are claiming it's legal where they are are coming over to america and trying to hide behind their country's laws there. I submit that they are just doing something that is evidently not considered wrong by their government and so have no reason to feel guilty about it.

Anyway, if you're from Canada, I thought it was declared that downloading music wasn't illegal there?

NB: I must stress that this post is centred around downloading, the act of uploading is different altogether and is illegal almost everywhere.

Argument #3:

If it's not against the law in your country then you won't get sued by the RIAA, nor would they have the power to sue you.

It seems people only ever pull out the law argument when it benefits them.

Are you suggesting they should feel guilty for doing something that is completely legal where they live? If someone stands accused of breaking the law when they aren't, what do you expect them to do besides pull out the law argument?

I was allowed to buy alcohol aged 18 here, does that mean I should feel guilty because some american (not talking about you, anyway I think you're Canadian) came over here and accused me of hiding behind the law?

It isn't as though the people who are claiming it's legal where they are are coming over to america and trying to hide behind their country's laws there.

No no no, I wasn't saying that. I was just saying it's a double standard that people only use the law or bring it up when it benefits them - as in, I'm pretty sure that if it was against the law it wouldn't stop 99% of the people on this forum from downloading music (as shown from replies on this topic already).

summerpngwy6.jpg

I agree that they would likely still do it and the fact that it is legal is only a mere convenience to them, but I still don't think that puts anyone in a place to condemn them for doing it if it is legal as we can't be certain what's going on inside their heads.

I agree that they would likely still do it and the fact that it is legal is only a mere convenience to them, but I still don't think that puts anyone in a place to condemn them for doing it if it is legal as we can't be certain what's going on inside their heads.

Okay :P well I've still got a half-decent refutation for the other five arguments.

summerpngwy6.jpg

*continues downloading music*

RIAA comes to my door, i have several high powered weapons i can use, and WILL use.

They don't come to your door in civil actions. You'll be sent a summons within a very short time of the hearing (week or so, RIAA are notorious for hiding that they are gathering info for a suit).

Is it illegal in Australia? :lol: Well I really don't see the problem with it I mean, wow now *insert artist here* can't buy another 3million dollar mansion? :roll:

Yes, it is illegal in Australia. In fact, in Australian companies can be held liable for people misusing their software, such as in the Kazaa case.