Nintend Fan's Guide to Completing the Stronghold of Security

NintendFan

Welcome to my guide for the Stronghold of Security.

Other guides written by me:

Nintend Fan's Guide to F2P Mining

I'll start by linking to Tip It's Stronghold guide which can be found here. (All maps in this guide are the ones from Tip It)

Now, you might be wondering why I'm bothering to write this guide if Tip It already has an official one. However, the official guide is for information about the Stronghold, and does not give any advice on how to succeed in getting the boots or the sceptre.

Now, let's begin. The table of contents below shows what will be covered by this guide.

Table of Contents:

1: Starting your Stronghold Adventure

2: Your First Trip Through the Stronghold

-2a: The Vault of War

-2b: The Catacomb of Famine

-2c: The Pit of Pestilence

-2d: The Sepulchre of Death

3: The Skull Sceptre

Section 1: Starting your Stronghold Adventure

Refer to this section if you have never been to the Stronghold of Security.

The Stronghold can be completed by anyone - level 3 through level 126. Even fresh off tutorial island, you can survive with your bread, shrimp, bronze sword, and wooden shield. (Yes, I have done this before. :P)

Upon reaching the bottom of the stronghold, you will have received a total of 10,000 GP and your choice of boots - these are the best boots for F2P. You will also get 4 emotes - flap, head slap, stamp, and idea.

Inside the dungeon you'll encounter monsters levels 5 through 86, most of which are agressive. Bring the best melee armor you have to ensure finishing alive. You can also purchase a Security Book in any general store, which contains some tips for securing your account. Also, bring good food, but be sure to leave at least 2 item spaces open in your inventory.

Note that you do NOT have to fight any monsters to complete the Stronghold of Security.

Inside the stronghold, you'll have to answer various questions about securing your account. The answers are quite obvious, so you'll be fine. There is no penalty for an incorrect answer.

The Stronghold of Security can be found in the center of Barbarian Village.

barbvillagemapxb2.png

(The stronghold is circled in red)

Once you get to the center of Barbarian Village (near the mining area), climb down into the Stronghold.

strongholdentranceyw1.png

In this screenshot, note the red square. Inside is the entrance (click to enter) and a barbarian NPC named Litara - talk to her for more information about the stronghold.

litaratalkci8.png

Now you are ready to enter the stronghold. One more thing that you can do before actually starting, is searching the dead explorer. You'll find his notes, containing further information about the stronghold.

strongholdnotesud5.png

Section 2: Your First Trip Through the Stronghold

I have maps with paths drawn on them for each section.

However, if you are a high enough level, for each level there is a portal that takes you to the treasure room.

Note that once you claim the treasure for a level, you may use that level's portal no matter how high or low your combat level is.

2a: The Vault of War

This is the first level of the stronghold.

Use the map below to get to the treasure room, or use the portal if you can.

lvl1mapjj9.png

Follow the white line that I've drawn.

Once you reach the treasure, open the chest for 2,000 GP and a new emote.

Notes: This is the only level with Multicombat, but the monsters here are nonagressive. Starting at level 2, all monsters will attack you.

Just walk through this level, you'll need the run energy for later.

Once you get the reward, climb down to level 2.

2b: The Catacomb of Famine

This is the second level of the stronghold.

lvl2mappk5.png

Follow the black line that I've drawn.

Once you reach the treasure, open the chest for 3,000 GP and a new emote.

Notes: Monsters here range from levels 26 through 53. Anyone beyond combat 35 can probably walk here and be fine. Monsters here WILL attack you.

2c: The Pit of Pestilence

This is the third level of the stronghold.

lvl3mapva3.png

Once you reach the treasure, open the chest for 5,000 GP and a new emote. The Box of Health also fully restores your stats, so don't waste food once you get to the treasure.

Notes: Monsters here range from levels 49 through 68. I reccomend running through all monster rooms.

2d: The Sepulchre of Death

This is the fourth level of the stronghold.

lvl4mapjs5.png

Once you reach the treasure, open the chest for a new emote, and your choice of boots.

bootpicmv4.png

These are the stats for both sets of boots: Attack: Magic -3, Range -1, Defense: Stab +1, Slash +2, Crush +3

They both give the same bonuses, so pick the ones you like better.

If you lose the boots, you can return to this room and get another pair, or you can swap pairs. These boots are untradeable. Congradulations! You've survived the Stronghold of Security!

Notes: Monsters here range from levels 75 through 86. I reccomend running through the one monster room.

Section 3: The Skull Sceptre

Within the stronghold, you can obtain parts that are used to build the skull sceptre. These are it's stats:

Attack: Slash -1, Crush +7, Magic +4, Defense: Stab +2, Slash +3, Crush +1, Magic +4, Other: Strength +3

It isn't great as a weapon, but it has a special effect - 5 teleports to Barbarian Village.

skullsceptreut5.png

Invoke activates the teleport, and Divine tells you how many teleports you have left. The rest of the uses are obvious.

You can only keep one assembled Sceptre at once, but as many parts as you want. There are four parts, listed below. The Skull Sceptre, like the boots, is untradeable.

*Check Tip It's Bestiary for information on these 4 monsters, I have provided links to their information on these monsters.

-The Right Skull Half

This is the easiest part to get. Kill Minotaurs in the 1st stronghold level. The weakest Minotaurs are level 12.

The map below leads you to the best room to kill Minotaurs. (follow the yellow path that branches off the main one) Minotaurs here are level 12.

minotaurmaprq3.png

For melee, just attack them. These are the weakest and closest Minotaurs.

For long distance attacks, look in the north of the room for this spot:

minotaurscreenqs5.png

wallscreencb6.png

The minotaurs can't pass the stuff boxed in blue, so stand anywhere behind the wall and snipe them. Don't attack anything north of the red line, or they will just run behind the wall. There is a Minotaur respawn behind the wall, but he isn't aggresive.

For rangers, Minotaurs drop Iron Arrows.

-The Bottom of Sceptre

This is easy enough to get. Kill Flesh Crawlers in the 2nd stronghold level. The weakest Flesh Crawlers are level 28.

The map below leads you to the best rooms to kill Flesh Crawlers. Both rooms have level 28 Flesh Crawlers.

crawlermapee5.png

For melee, the yellow path leads to the closest and weakest Flesh Crawlers.

For long distance, follow the treasure path (black) to the room boxed in white. You are looking for this spot at the bottom of the room:

crawlerscreensd9.png

skullscreensp3.png

Stand where the yellow circle is, and nothing you attack will reach you.

-The Top of Sceptre

This is the hardest part to get. Kill Catablepons in the 3rd stronghold level. The weakest Catablepons are level 49. For this, you might consider bringing extra food. Catablepons also use Weaken to lower your strength up to 8 levels.

The map below will show you the spots for killing Catablepons:

catableponmaptb4.png

For melee, follow the treasure path (white) to the red-boxed area for the closest and weakest Catablepons. These Catablepons are level 49.

For ranged or mage, follow the yellow path. You want this spot in the west part of the room:

catableponscreenzu8.png

rootscreenst2.png

Stand where the red circle is. Note that you cannot reach the enemies SOUTH of you. Catablepons here are level 68.

-The Left Skull Half

This is also difficult to get. Kill Ankous in the 4th stronghold level. The weakest Ankous are level 75. This can be done with 1 full inventory of Lobsters/Swordfish.

The map below shows the best rooms to kill Ankous:

ankoumapkf6.png

For melee, follow thw red path branching off the white path. These are the closest and weakest Ankous, which are level 75.

For long distance attackers, follow the yellow path. You are looking for this spot near the room's entrance.

ankouscreenhi0.png

safespotscreence7.png

Stand where the white circle is. Ankous here are level 82.

---

Once you have the parts, put together the 2 skull halves, then put together the sceptre halves. Then use the skull on the sceptre.

---

Well, I hope you found this guide helpful, and good luck in the Stronghold of Security!

newbankofrsyq0.gif

fixfriendsol7.gif

My Runescape username is Nintend Fan.

siggedum0.png

^Happened right after I killed a guy in the wil

You dont have to do the white path...on my noob account, i just clikced on the teleport at the biggening of each level and it took me to the end, EXCEPT for the fourth level.
Same thing happened to me. I teleported to the end except for the fouth level :-k

I should probably add that then... although when I first did it, I was level 16 and couldn't use any portals.

Here we are...

However, if you are a high enough level, for each level there is a portal that takes you to the treasure room.

Note that once you claim the treasure for a level, you may use that level's portal no matter how high or low your combat level is.

newbankofrsyq0.gif

fixfriendsol7.gif

siggedum0.png

i'm not positive, nor do i have any hard evidance, but i beleave to get through the first portal, you need 20+ combat, the second portal 40+ combat and the third portal 60+ combat, and you have to walk through and get the boots before you're able to use the last portal (however, you can always use the portals once you already beat that floor)

i say this because my pure got through the first one at 21 combat scott free butt my friends wc pure was lvl 17 when he tried and he was unable but both of our mains (72 and 89) got through all the portals cept the last one (message even says you need to do it first)

Yayyyyyy...

i'm not positive, nor do i have any hard evidance, but i beleave to get through the first portal, you need 20+ combat, the second portal 40+ combat and the third portal 60+ combat, and you have to walk through and get the boots before you're able to use the last portal (however, you can always use the portals once you already beat that floor)

i say this because my pure got through the first one at 21 combat scott free butt my friends wc pure was lvl 17 when he tried and he was unable but both of our mains (72 and 89) got through all the portals cept the last one (message even says you need to do it first)

I'll look into that, but I'll need definate stats before I add it. ;)

newbankofrsyq0.gif

fixfriendsol7.gif

siggedum0.png

I like it but can you add a map with the location for the Ankous safespot?

A mad scientist in the attic, the owner is a vampire that dwells in the basement, a witch, skeletons, ghosts....

And you thought YOUR neighbors were weird!

I could really use feedback on my monster-slaying tactics. (bad excuse for a bump... :P)

Anyway... I hope all the safespots work at least.

newbankofrsyq0.gif

fixfriendsol7.gif

siggedum0.png

• 2 weeks later...
quick question, do you know how many ankous you have to kill aprox untill you get the left skull half???

i was there for AGES and they didn't drop it :shock:

Its purely luck based.

And to the person that thought you need 20 for first, 40 for second and 60 for third: isnt correct. I was lvl 61 when I went in there and I couldnt use the portal on the third floor.

• 3 months later...

The second pic looks like your murdering her. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: