Need advice - Considering buying a graphic tablet

jak722

Okay I recently just bought a crap load of software, but the problem is it takes too long to finish work with a mouse and I feel I can do better using 'pen on paper."

Ive long been considering buying a tablet, but IDK what to get...

Stuff im considering:

1.) Size

I need a tablet that can fit a standard 8.5x12 piece of paper...

2.) Price

Well wacom is industry standard, but others like aiptec and adesso looks good to.

wacom is the most expensive (9x12 sizes are around $500)

adesso's 9x12 are around $200

aiptec is the cheapest with around $100 for a 12x12 size

3.) Quality

Wacom again = best and ive seen no complaints so far.

Adesso = cheaper, but looks solid

aiptec = cheapest, but I question what my drawing would look like...

Im also wondering if you guys use just the tablet, or if you have a model that can draw directly into the screen.

Is it hard to draw on the tablet while trying to match the strokes on the screen?

Well lots of questions there, but I dont expect it all to be answered at once though. Replies would be appreciated btw.

PS, I have $1000, but I dont expect to spend it all of course.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

WACOM!!!!!

I have one (its only an a5 one its all i could afford at them time after impulse buying heaps of sh*t for my room) i love it.

You do have to do some tweaking to the sensitivity because the standard is a bit bodge i think, but after some tweaking to get it set up right for you it is one of the best tools that i have for my computer.

Wacom +1

Black flat

jimihendrixvz9.jpg

Their Intous 9x12 model is $449.95 from them, but around 300 at some retailers. But I do have my eyes set on a wacom.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

yeah ive seen a couple today, but I cant really buy em... :oops:

Just a suggestion here: a tablet PC would allow you to draw right on the screen, no extra harware required. Only problem is they're expensive. You wouldn't really need a really good one to use the software you use though, so you can probably find an old one for around the same price as a wacom tablet. Plus you can carry it around with you and stuff. It's like a touch-screen laptop kinda, but cooler.

The older ones arn't very mobile (you have to have forearms like popeye to carry em around) well the ones that have the capability of todays wacom's...

I would personally love to have a nice wacom tablet pc, but they sort of start at 2,000 and go upwards it just gets a bit crazy.

Black flat

jimihendrixvz9.jpg

The Tablet notebooks don't work very well for drawing. I think they're for note- taking purposes.

My wacom works fine. If you have a laptop and like to draw during school, buy the smallest wacom XD It's portable.

The one complaint I have on the wacom is the top scratched too easily for me. Or maybe I press hard? Yeah well there's a bump. Barely visible but still there nonetheless...

[sig inserted here....in few days]

I have a laptop, but I dont usually take it out with me. The dang thing is too heavy... :wall:

Anyways the thing is, I usually draw a sketch on paper first, then scan it to my computer and line/color/shade it from there. The mouse isnt accurate enough sometimes. And I end up spending more time on it than I should.

:(

Don't get one that big, you'll regret it. Personally I think 6x8 is the perfect size for digital artists.... you only need bigger ones when you are spanning multiple monitors and doing much more sophistocated things. I've used some that are in excess of 2ft wide, and 6x8 is the best.

And go with WACOM, they are the industry standard for a reason.

If you really want something nice, get a cintique, I played with the 21.3" cintique this year at SIGGRAPH and it was pretty badass.

Don't get one that big, you'll regret it. Personally I think 6x8 is the perfect size for digital artists.... you only need bigger ones when you are spanning multiple monitors and doing much more sophistocated things. I've used some that are in excess of 2ft wide, and 6x8 is the best.

And go with WACOM, they are the industry standard for a reason.

If you really want something nice, get a cintique, I played with the 21.3" cintique this year at SIGGRAPH and it was pretty badass.

He can't afford a cintique, i wish we could all afford cintiques :cry:,

But in all honesty bigger is better, and hence the saying. The smaller you go the harder it is, i hate hitting the edges of mine, i could be working on a peice then have to re-draw alot of it because i dont like to make alot of different pen strokes, i keep them to a minimum, hitting the edge though gives you a vertical or horizontal line, and that sucks.

Honestly i would stick to WACOM, if you can then try to get an a4, or an a3 if possible, NEVER BUY A GRAPHICS TABLET OFF EBAY!!!! I may have a biast opion but a freind of mine bought a 'brand new' graphics tablet off ebay, when it arrived it was smashed due to poor packing and some incredibly rought delivery men... (It looked like someone had stood on it)

I've played around with other brands and honestly none are as strong and sterdy as WACOM, as for scratching, as long as you keep the plastic cover on it then they dont scratch.

Another thing i love about WACOM's is that (if you buy the right one) they have a plastic cover, lift the plastic cover and put a picture in there, you can trace it perfectly. Helps for if you've drawn something and you dont have a scanner. Alot of other tablets i've played with dont have this (just those damn black grids... how i hate the black grids dont get me started)

Black flat

jimihendrixvz9.jpg

Well I found a really good deal on Ebay... I doubt rthey'll crush a package like that though, must have been a freak accident.

So, anyway, most of the replies points to wacom so I guess I'll go for a graphire or intous then. :-k

i have/had a aiptek, i still do have it, but the pen broke, and ment that it didnt work, and finding a replacement pen has been a nightmare, in the sence ive spend 5 months trying and havent found a single one, so yeah its not easy to get replacements. or atleast for my model, i havnt seen my model around much, infact barly at all. anyways, yeah quality it isnt too bad, easy enough to draw it on the screen and once you get the hang of it you dont really need to have a touch screen style thing.

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2