First ever try at Photo Manipulation... C/C

Azurechaos

I hate TIF's definition of a manip when all people do are add a few filters to a stock and change layer styles. Real manips are the ones with as Nad said 5 or 6 stocks in them, changed, manipulated and combined to form a whole new piece.

Well, considering this is the first time I have even considered doing anything of this sort, do you have anything constructive to add? No? Okay, bye then.

He gave plenty of constructive information. Just doing the same thing over again, in this situation - just doing a filter, doesn't get you anywhere.

I, and i'm sure JR, do not think that this being your first "manip" is an excuse. You can learn things before you post.

It's true, I can learn on my own, but I'd like to get help from a community. Mainly specific things to add/change in my work, and definitions to this lingo you artists use :?.

Also, Cad, I've seen some of your work, and it's quite nice. Would you happen to know of a tutorial or something of that sort? Perhaps someone could post links to different sites that have topics like this.

No, I haven't attempted a photomanip tutorial. Mainly because I would need to explain how to use levels/curves and how to effectively colour etc. I may try one day, just not now. ;)

If you are confused about any lingo that I or anyone else has used, don't be afraid to post and ask. Or alternatively you can always PM me if you have any graphics questions. ;)

knkcopy.jpg

I hate TIF's definition of a manip when all people do are add a few filters to a stock and change layer styles. Real manips are the ones with as Nad said 5 or 6 stocks in them, changed, manipulated and combined to form a whole new piece.

Well, considering this is the first time I have even considered doing anything of this sort, do you have anything constructive to add? No? Okay, bye then.

He gave plenty of constructive information. Just doing the same thing over again, in this situation - just doing a filter, doesn't get you anywhere.

I, and i'm sure JR, do not think that this being your first "manip" is an excuse. You can learn things before you post.

It's true, I can learn on my own, but I'd like to get help from a community. Mainly specific things to add/change in my work, and definitions to this lingo you artists use :?.

Also, Cad, I've seen some of your work, and it's quite nice. Would you happen to know of a tutorial or something of that sort? Perhaps someone could post links to different sites that have topics like this.

No, I haven't attempted a photomanip tutorial. Mainly because I would need to explain how to use levels/curves and how to effectively colour etc. I may try one day, just not now. ;)

If you are confused about any lingo that I or anyone else has used, don't be afraid to post and ask. Or alternatively you can always PM me if you have any graphics questions. ;)

That's very generous of you :). I'd be the first to post if you made a tutorial. Not many floating around out there #-o.

As for the artist-talk, I may make a whole new thread about it... :-k

omg... you make those images with the gimp??? man i got to read that manual again... :P

no, he made those with photoshop... this is what you can make with gimp...

Why do people see GIMP as a handicap in the graphics creating biz?

Here's something else I made with a render:

EDIT: Here's the original pic:

Comments?

You just put the image on a background and applied a filter. :? (and a yellow brush over the eye)

And FYI, that isn't a photo manip. ;)

knkcopy.jpg

i, as you may know, am rather new to digital imagry, and when you said that, i kinda wondered what you were talking about. please, feel free to elaborate. and 2 other tings. on that curious george one, your suposto take the logo off of the render #-o

and cad, in your botem post, i amnt sure what you mean by "why do people see GIMP as a handicape in the graphics creating biz?"

wop wop

i, as you may know, am rather new to digital imagry, and when you said that, i kinda wondered what you were talking about. please, feel free to elaborate. and 2 other tings. on that curious george one, your suposto take the logo off of the render #-o

It's hard to explain... (You're getting a sneak-peak at my newest signature you lucky people)

• Levels.png

Curves.png

They each affect an images saturation, brightness and contrast in their own way. You set at which integers they react upon the image. You can set it so darker parts of the signature become lighter, but the light parts stay, or vice versa.

I'm not sure how to put it.

and cad, in your botem post, i amnt sure what you mean by "why do people see GIMP as a handicape in the graphics creating biz?"

I see many people posting things such as "Yeah this is my signature, it's bad but I made it with GIMP" and people replying just merely complimenting them on their GIMP skills with "OMG THATS AMAZIN FUR GIMP!!!!!1111"

GIMP probably contains all the necessary tools that I use to make my signature with, but probably just contain a different GUI (Graphical User Interface) to Photoshop.

knkcopy.jpg

to me, gimp is almost as powerfull as photoshop, but because i dont have 600 usd to drop on it, gimp is fine with me. i can (but dont like) to do anamations, i can achieve shadow drops, scanlines, many more filters then photoshop, and tons of other stuff... i really dont understand why people are suprised when they see that i use gimp. not only that but the brush and paterns interface is beter imo, and i have over 2k brushes which means that cant be a problem.

thanks for trying to explain what those things are but i dont really know how to use em (think ive seen that interface before :-k )

wop wop

not rly sure... ive got over 700 different grundge, about 300 tech, about 150-200 crystal, about 400 3d, a varity of basic shapes, stars, and blending brushes(150-200) and about 300 other random stuffs i picked up along the way...

the thing is, ive used almost half of those brushes lol

wop wop

You just put the image on a background and applied a filter. :? (and a yellow brush over the eye)

And FYI, that isn't a photo manip. ;)

It's true, but I like the look (also, I know it's not a photo manip... decided to try something else.)

It's hard to explain... (You're getting a sneak-peak at my newest signature you lucky people)

• Levels.png

Curves.png

They each affect an images saturation, brightness and contrast in their own way. You set at which integers they react upon the image. You can set it so darker parts of the signature become lighter, but the light parts stay, or vice versa.

I'm not sure how to put it.

I see many people posting things such as "Yeah this is my signature, it's bad but I made it with GIMP" and people replying just merely complimenting them on their GIMP skills with "OMG THATS AMAZIN FUR GIMP!!!!!1111"

GIMP probably contains all the necessary tools that I use to make my signature with, but probably just contain a different GUI (Graphical User Interface) to Photoshop.

I need a tutorial... I'm getting depressed. (Oh and that new sig is looking great! Me likey.) I don't use GIMP as a crutch :-s. I like GIMP :anxious:.

on that curious george one, your suposto take the logo off of the render #-o

I knew I had to crop off the entire bottom, so I didn't mess with it.