:: Need some help with HTML ::

funky_nappy

You can't do logins and account tracking with just HTML. You need to find and learn something like PHP, ASP or another similar language for generating your pages and handling accounts.

Trying to jump from basic html knowlege to handling user accounts is fairly large, so I suggest you take some smaller steps to learn some more basics first. :wink:

Something like this cannot be made with HTML alone. To start off you need MySQL. MySQL is a database system and can be easily learnt (or by using PHPmyadmin), and in addition to this, you will need a scripting language such as PHP to name one. There are tonnes of tutorials on Pixel2life. Look it up. If you need any more help then give me a shout!

Hey, just learn PHP. It is way better than HTML and if you use PHP, your site will load faster than if you used HTML. So go check it out and learn it even though it is a little harder than HTML, you will benefit from it. ;)

Thanks

Cyber_Demon12

Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Websites that use PHP use it to generate, guess what, HTML. They are 2 completely different languages. Unless I'm way behind the times, and somebody just ripped HTML our from under us last night, you can't just replace HTML with pure PHP and have a working website...

man... the other night I was on the corner of 5th and washington. I looked down and noticed I was standing on some HTML, then some guy came up to me, shoved me, and ripped it out from under my feet. Needless to say, I fell over and got all wet. Now I smell bad.

:P actually I lied, I was on 5th and lincoln... I get those confused all the time.

Guest GhostRanger

Basically, everyone is telling you the same thing - learn PHP. I agree.

If you're making a site where people can create accounts and log in, I would recommend you checking out PHP/MySQL for Dummies from the library. It has a great intro to PHP/MySQL and has a chapter devoted to creating Members Only sites.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it (could be wrong...) but you need to make sure that your web space supports PHP. Most free web providers don't.

Hey, just learn PHP. It is way better than HTML and if you use PHP, your site will load faster than if you used HTML. So go check it out and learn it even though it is a little harder than HTML, you will benefit from it. ;)

Thanks

Cyber_Demon12

Do you have any clue what you're talking about?

Websites that use PHP use it to generate, guess what, HTML. They are 2 completely different languages. Unless I'm way behind the times, and somebody just ripped HTML our from under us last night, you can't just replace HTML with pure PHP and have a working website...

So funny, I do know what I am talking about...Read it again and check up on the stuff because it doesn't seem like you know what your talking about.

Thanks

Cyber_Demon12

cyber_demon12, after i re-read your post, I still don't understand how using PHP could make a page load faster than by using HTML. In fact the two languages, as far as i know, are used for entirely seperate things, content and design(or content and framework, with CSS being design).

I do agree that although it is harder to learn than html it is worth it because it is a great language, but i don't see how it could make a page load faster.

If you could actually give us an example, that would be great.

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

So funny, I do know what I am talking about...Read it again and check up on the stuff because it doesn't seem like you know what your talking about.

Right, coming from the person that said "PHP is way better than HTML" when they're two completely different languages with completely different purposes. I'll go over it again, just to humor you.

It is way better than HTML

How are two completely unrelated languages better than one another? HTML is used for building webpages and nothing more. You can't write a web page in pure PHP and have it render. PHP can be used for stand alone apps that have zero to do with html and web pages. You can't use PHP for websites without outputing some kind of HTML.

So, I'll ask again, how is one better than the other?

and if you use PHP, your site will load faster than if you used HTML.

And that it completely wrong. Adding PHP on top of your website will actually cause a slight slow down depending on how much php you process. Instead of just grabbing an HTML file and sending it to the browser, it has to be passed through the interpreter, generate whatever you have it doing and THEN send it to the browser. Unless you invented some kind of time warp, it isn't faster than just grabbing and sending a file.

If you do know what you're talking about, please do prove it.

Okay, incase this kid doesn't know, what cruiser says goes.... He's been here as long as anyone I know.

Another way to put it would be like comparing C++ or VB to HTML or Javascript

"Using HTML to design a webpage is faster and more efficient then using C++ to do it"

o rly? I would sure hope so!1

Blimey I didn't realise people had such strong opinions that this would start a flame war :?

Not really strong opinions, just someone being blatantly wrong. :P

PHP is a good place to start learning this stuff tho. ::'