Any Christians - Need Help Regarding Christmas Trees

Greatsilverwyrm

As you probably know, I'm not a christian. My mother however, is. She's currently struggling with something: Whether or not having a christmas tree is wrong in the eyes of god, since they were based on Pagan symbols.

Any verses that you think may be appropriate? Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

IRKAa.jpg

I'm sure God won't mind if it brightens up your home and gives you happiness. I think it'll be ok, but yes, Christmas trees were based on paganism, according to Wiki...

Anyway I searched on Wiki and found this -

A Christmas tree is one of the most popular traditions associated with the celebration of Christmas. It is normally an evergreen coniferous tree that is brought into a home or used in the open, and is decorated with Christmas lights and colourful ornaments during the days around Christmas.

The Christmas tree is often explained as a Christianization of the ancient pagan idea that the evergreen tree represents a celebration of the renewal of life. In Roman mosaics from what is today Tunisia, showing the mythic triumphant return from India of the Greek god of wine and male fertility, Dionysus (dubbed by some modern scholars as a life-death-rebirth deity), the god carries a tapering coniferous tree. Medieval legends, nevertheless, tended to concentrate more on the miraculous "flowering" of trees at Christmas time. A branch of flowering Glastonbury thorn is still sent annually for the Queen's Christmas table in the United Kingdom.

Hope that helps!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_trees#History

Many Christian holidays/symbols were once pagan holidays/symbols. This is because Christians were using syncretism to help newer believers feel comfortable about converting.

As a Christian, I don't see anything wrong with Christmas trees at all - just because pagans use it doesn't mean it's wrong for us to use it.

Isn't it kind of like saying, because pagans breathe, Christians shouldn't breathe either?

summerpngwy6.jpg

Guest GhostRanger

^ A good point, insane.

It's not just the Christmas Tree that has pagan roots. The entire idea of celebrating on December 25th is pagan in origin. There are numerous other Christian practices that stem from pagan beliefs - for the reason insane said.

The reason I would agree that God doesn't look at it as sinful is because for her, the idea is not pagan. She is using the Christmas tree to celebrate her Lord. I think that we find that scripture indicates that unlike man, God is much more concerned with what is on the inside (1 Samuel 16:7) and so the reason for doing something is much more important than the fact that it may have once been a symbol for paganism. If her heart is in the right place, her actions are as well.

i respect christianity ( and all other religions for that matter )

but isnt that going a bit overboard on the whole pagan symbolism thing?

just about everything is a pagan symbol for something or other.... I havent got any examples to hand. Havnt u had a christmas tree in ur house b4?

If so - then what is making ur mum think abt not having 1 now?

Why not have a christmas tree? I mean cmon! its a christmas tree! what could possibly be offensive about a christmas tree?!

-long rant about religion and political correctness -

^^ i cant be bothered to write that atm

Tk5SF.png

Guest GhostRanger
i respect christianity ( and all other religions for that matter )

but isnt that going a bit overboard on the whole pagan symbolism thing?

just about everything is a pagan symbol for something or other.... I havent got any examples to hand. Havnt u had a christmas tree in ur house b4?

If so - then what is making ur mum think abt not having 1 now?

Why not have a christmas tree? I mean cmon! its a christmas tree! what could possibly be offensive about a christmas tree?!

-long rant about religion and political correctness -

^^ i cant be bothered to write that atm

This has nothing to do with political correctness. The problem at hand is that GSW's mom is celebrating Christmas as a Christian - to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. A Christmas Tree, on the other hand, is a pagan symbol and is NOT celebratory of the birth of Jesus Christ.

The point isn't about political correctness, it's about celebrating a religious holiday in the correct way.

Also to answer your question about having Christmas trees before - a lot of people don't even know Christmas trees are pagan symbols.

Guest GhostRanger
ok fair enuf. mebbe its not political correctness.

but - why should it matter if its a pagan symbol? - that doesnt make you a pagan for having 1 does it?

Why don't you read my first post before you ask dumb questions that have already been answered?

It's a tree. Religion should be less about 'thou shall not' and more about it's good messages.

Im sure if God were able to see your mother enjoying it he would not mind it.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

It's a tree. Religion should be less about 'thou shall not' and more about it's good messages.

Im sure if God were able to see your mother enjoying it he would not mind it.

Ah, that's so quote worthy man.

/Topic closed.

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Ignoring MPC's tag I'll give some alternitives.

A festivus pole - good for all holidays

Combine a symbol from your religion and a christmas tree.

Call it an evergreen tree, not a christmas tree.

Isn't it lovely how having an opinion makes you hated around here?

Call it an evergreen tree, not a christmas tree.

This is kind of something that bugs me about Christmas.

People will celebrate it, yet get offended when you call it Christmas. I mean, if you're going to celebrate it, do everything how it's always been, why not just call it what it is. It's Christmas.

And if you don't want to do that, then celebrate it on a different day. Because December 25th is Christmas day :P

summerpngwy6.jpg

Theres a lot of Christian stuff nicked from the Pagans and other religions. I'm not going to get into a "Does god exist argument?" but if he did exist then i doubt he'd be worrying himself over such a petty issue.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

its a tree god doesnt care. for me even though im a catholic christmas isnt about jesus. its about having a good time,being jolly,and GETTING STUFF :D (and maybe a little giving...Maybe not :twisted: )

My carbon footprint is bigger than yours...and you know what they say about big feet.

These are the times that try mens souls...