stem cell research

warri0r45

So preventing something from devolping is ok because it doesn't have a mind yet? The reason why its ok to get your apendix removed (ethically speaking) is because it isn't devolping into a seperate life.

Am I wrong that I hold life in very high regards? I am very thankful that I wasn't used in stem cell research.

You must remember that these things were unwanted. Technically speaking, it is the mother's choice what to do.

Think of the progress being made because of these women, lives may be saved by the bucketful. These embryos would have been destroyed anyway, atleast they aren't going to waste.

~Jimmie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So preventing something from devolping is ok because it doesn't have a mind yet? The reason why its ok to get your apendix removed (ethically speaking) is because it isn't devolping into a seperate life.

Am I wrong that I hold life in very high regards? I am very thankful that I wasn't used in stem cell research.

You must remember that these things were unwanted. Technically speaking, it is the mother's choice what to do.

Think of the progress being made because of these women, lives may be saved by the bucketful. These embryos would have been destroyed anyway, atleast they aren't going to waste.

~Jimmie

Yes, exactly. They aren't going to just start popping babies out for stem cells, its still from abortions.

So yes, they would be destroyed either way. Thats why we should at least do something with them.

And, for the record, I think I'd rather just be aborted that live in a family that didn't want to have me as a child anyways.

~Jimmie

Yes, exactly. They aren't going to just start popping babies out for stem cells, its still from abortions.

So yes, they would be destroyed either way. Thats why we should at least do something with them.

And, for the record, I think I'd rather just be aborted that live in a family that didn't want to have me as a child anyways.

So do more evil with evil?

Is it ok to steal from a dead guy?

I don't understand why I'm wrong. Obviously if its ok to do abortions I'm wrong because I'm againts it. Is it wrong for me to hold someones life in high regard? Should I just be heartless?

untitled2copyxn6.jpg

Guest GhostRanger

Is the money going to family or friends or will it be seized by the government?

Is it wrong for me to hold someones life in high regard? Should I just be heartless?

It isn't holding someone's life in high regard. The embryo is dead whether it is used for stem cell research or not. It has been said time and time again - if it isn't used for stem cell research it is disposed of.

Holding someone's life in high regard would be allowing it to be used for research, to possibly facilitate the development of medical treatments in the future - and if not, then to advance our understanding of the human body.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Guest GhostRanger

Is it wrong for me to hold someones life in high regard? Should I just be heartless?

It isn't holding someone's life in high regard. The embryo is dead whether it is used for stem cell research or not. It has been said time and time again - if it isn't used for stem cell research it is disposed of.

Holding someone's life in high regard would be allowing it to be used for research, to possibly facilitate the development of medical treatments in the future - and if not, then to advance our understanding of the human body.

Very comparable to doing autopsies for scientific research.

~Jimmie

So do more evil with evil?

I don't understand why I'm wrong. Obviously if its ok to do abortions I'm wrong because I'm againts it. Is it wrong for me to hold someones life in high regard? Should I just be heartless?

So how exactly is working on a cure for many various diseases evil?

And this is what I don't get: To me abortion / stem cell research are all in the same boat. Your really only against both or for both, based off of if you are fine with abortion or are against it. There are a few exceptions but thats what I see the majority thinking.

I hold life in high reguards too. That's why I want us to be able to learn all we can with the possibilitys of saving millions. To me, thats much more important than an aborted fetus that is going to get thrown away.

Not really; an autopsy is performed on a person who was alive, had relatives, friends and people who cared about them that might object. It could be performed on a stillborn child, but that's still far closer to living than a 150 cell embryo.

An embryo was never conscious, arguably never affected anyone and the person could still refuse to donate it. It cannot be argued that something consisting of 150 cells was capable of consciousness.

Either way, I'm all for autopsies when they are necessary. If a person dies in abnormal circumstances you don't get a choice about whether they have an autopsy performed on them or not. If a conscious person decides to donate their body to science then that's up to them, and I applaud them for it.

Guest GhostRanger

Not really; an autopsy is performed on a person who was alive, had relatives, friends and people who cared about them that might object. It could be performed on a stillborn child, but that's still far closer to living than a 150 cell embryo.

An embryo was never conscious, arguably never affected anyone and the person could still refuse to donate it. It cannot be argued that something consisting of 150 cells was capable of consciousness.

Either way, I'm all for autopsies when they are necessary. If a person dies in abnormal circumstances you don't get a choice about whether they have an autopsy performed on them or not. If a conscious person decides to donate their body to science then that's up to them, and I applaud them for it.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I was just making the point that studying an embryo is no more "destroying life" than studying a dead body.

Guest GhostRanger
You were...agreeing with me?

I'm all for studying dead bodies if it helps living bodies, even indirectly.

Haha - yeah I was. :P

I'm all for studying dead bodies if it helps living bodies, even indirectly.

It can't really be compared to because a dead body (aka. one who was previously alive) has already exhausted its potential for life. An embryo hasn't used any of its potential for life.

summerpngwy6.jpg

It can't really be compared to because a dead body (aka. one who was previously alive) has already exhausted its potential for life. An embryo hasn't used any of its potential for life.

This embryo does not have a potential for life. It is going to be discarded.

This embryo does not have a potential for life. It is going to be discarded.

QFE. It's been said a fair few times, but people just don't seem to be getting it.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

I understand that. But I was saying that because someone gets an abortion does that make it ok to use it for stem cell research. My opinion is no because you are doing more evil with evil because I hold life in high regard. It wouldn't be evil to someone who let's say didn't think it is evil to prevent something that is going to have life.

Abortion=wrong, and embronic research is just going further down the abortion ladder so it is also wrong.

You can disagree with me but that doesn't change my opinion.

untitled2copyxn6.jpg

Jesus doesnt think its okay

I think its really inhumane, why bother altering the nature cycle of life?

Who says Jesus doesnt like it? Oh, wait I forgot its a man in a pointy hat whos posistion for 1,000 years was based on purely who had the most money

By your logic you would be dead by now, ever had a cold? if we didnt "alter the nature cycle of life" then you would most likely be dead

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

Let's just ignore, for a moment, the fact that they aren't taken from abortions.

If they WERE taken from an abortion, and the abortion had already happened, it would not be high regard for human life to say "incinerate it" when it could be used to help humans.

I know I can disagree with you and it won't change your opinion. I can, however, tell you that your opinion is an ill-considered one. You are taking the route of "if I can't get my way then no one else may benefit". They are already destined to be destroyed but you would prevent them giving some good back to humanity because you didn't get your way.

Let's just ignore, for a moment, the fact that they aren't taken from abortions.

If they WERE taken from an abortion, and the abortion had already happened, it would not be high regard for human life to say "incinerate it" when it could be used to help humans.

Correct, but by doing that does that justify abortions? Personally I don't think any abortion is justified.
untitled2copyxn6.jpg

Correct, but by doing that does that justify abortions? Personally I don't think any abortion is justified.

Where did he say it justifys abortion? I mean, I do think abortion is right -- but no where did he say "abortion is right because you can get stem cells from it".

What he did say, however, is if they are going to be aborted no matter what anyways why not then use them to benifit society as a whole?

Read this post.

What I said was THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ABORTIONS.

Stem cells are not taken from aborted foetuses. They are taken from embryos that were created for but not used in in vitro fertility treatments

It has nothing to do with abortions.

Hence why I said "Let's just ignore, for a moment, the fact that they aren't taken from abortions."

It has nothing to do with abortions.

Hence...

wikipedia[/url]":3l9txhvw]This has led some opponents of abortion, such as Senator Orrin Hatch, to support human embryonic stem cell research

Stop mentioning abortions.

Then you can take care, personally, with your own life and funds, the products of rape, incest and the like.

Have fun.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I am very thankful that I wasn't used in stem cell research
i dont think youd know if you were..

Should I just be heartless?
i resent that you think wanting to cure hundreds of life-altering/threatening diseases is heartless.

agreed.

good point.

I hold life in high reguards too. That's why I want us to be able to learn all we can with the possibilitys of saving millions.
agreed.

It cannot be argued that something consisting of 150 cells was capable of consciousness.
agreed.

so, should we never use contraception? because thats potential life down the toilet too. If you think about it, any organic matter has potential to be part of human life.. so dont eat that steak!!. :lol: What about a baby who dies of SIDS? they had potenial for life.. moral of the story - life isnt fair.

Stem cell research has NOTHING to do with abortion, as I (and others)stated before. The material used are "leftovers" (yes, a nasty word) from in vitro fertilisation treatments (which help people get children if they are unable to get them "the natural way"). This is not a discussion about abortion, or pro/con life.

Anyway, success in a lab rat is only a small step forward. Humans and rats DO differ a lot, in case you hadn't noticed. These differences make it YEARS away from human tests, let alone standart treatment.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...