Canon Eos 400D

ThoseTheBrokes

Err... Got it for chirstmas.

I was wondering if anyone else out there had one?

I've been trying to take shots of the lights from cars snaking around the corner.

But i needed the ISO to be more than a 100th of a second, Anyway i can do this manually?

My dA account.

paranoiaao8.jpg

.retired, as of the 1st January 2008.

It looks an amazing camera, i've got the 350D which was the model before that one and its really great

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Err... Got it for chirstmas.

I was wondering if anyone else out there had one?

I've been trying to take shots of the lights from cars snaking around the corner.

But i needed the ISO to be more than a 100th of a second, Anyway i can do this manually?

ummm, I think you got your terms confused up. I suspect you want your shutter speed to be more then 100th of a second.. Being a dSLR camera you have complete control over the shutter-speed. It would be in your manual, give the section on shutter speed a read.

I suggest, put your camera into manual mode. There you would have complete control over both your shutter-speed and Aperture. With night shots, you probably want to maximize the amount of light you allow in. So it would probably be best to open the aperture right up, the amount this can be done would depend on the lens being used.

Also you could increase the ISO, this would make the camera sensor more sensitive to light, I probably would not go past ISO of 800 because much more then that noticeable lost of image detail occur.

Now. I would adjust the shutter speed until you get the amount of 'streaks' desired. If everything is to bright, go back and decrease the ISO or/and increase Aperture until you are happy.

I almost brought a dSLR myself, but decided against it. Mainly because the cost of getting decent lenses which would not cripple the camera body is substantial. It is quite amazing how often you see people using a expensive camera body and put rubbish cheap glass on it. Back in the day of film, it was not uncommon to see people using a camera which costs several thousand dollars, and a equally impressive lens but then put the cheapest film they could buy from the supermarket into it.

Militaris hit the nail on the head, pretty much.

I'm a Nikon man myself, and my D50 has a special mode for taking night-time pictures. I don't use it myself - I prefer manual mode - but if you have trouble getting it right in manual, try shooting in night mode if you have it.

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

If I were to purchase a dSLR it would probably be the pentax K100D or the K10D. The only thing the pentax is lacking is a decent telescopic zoom lens , but they have a few very lovely pancake lenses. . Getting a good Pentax kit would be quite a bit cheaper then the equivalent canon offering.

Although, Canon does offer a much greater range of lenses and accessories. They also have a slight edge at higher ISO but that has closed greatly with the current generation of dSLR.

Because a dSLR is not on my shortlist of things to buy. I have not priced out the options recently.