Oblivion Colour Distortion

runiburger

Ok, well when I play the colour looks distorted. The colours look all weird, when I take a screenshot it appears totally fine. This is very weird.

My (new) PC:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700

2GB Corsair PC-6400 RAM

Sparkle 8800GTX

500W Generic Power Supply

Samsung 204B Monitor

I tried Oblivion on another computer with the same monitor but it looks fine. This is really strange. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.

I like bees

What sort of weird? Can you describe it? Sounds like a graphics card hardware or driver problem. When I had my 8800GTX (I had a two XFX ones and one Sparkle one) it was overheating and causing all manner of artefacts - sometimes a messed up GUI, sometimes a chequered screen and a freeze, and once, in FEAR, bright pink and yellow walls and models.

Try getting RivaTuner, set it to record a log of your temperature then play the game with it running. When you notice the problem happening, exit the game and look at the log. FYI: if the game crashes and you have to reboot - DO NOT START RIVATUNER - it will overwrite your logs. You need to go to the directory they're saved in and look at them that way.

I have had three 8800GTX cards - all of which went back to the shop because they gave artefacts. Two of them the fan didn't start, one of them just gave the artefacts even though it was at a fine temperature. Now I'm just going to get an ATI R600.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Are you using the latest drivers for the card?

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Well, say if it was yellow then it would go purple and colours aren't being displayed properly and in Oblivion the oblivion gates are grey and pink. Everying is smooth and nice but it's all the wrong colour. I'm using Forceware 97.92 for WinXP. I'll check Rivatuner when it's done later today.

Thanks

I like bees

It does sound very much like the problem I had with FEAR. Does your system freeze/reset whilst playing the games at all?

When you get the RivaTuner results, inform us of the range of temperatures during the period when the problem was occurring, and also the highest temperature. Or just host the log file and link to it.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Have you recently overclocked your computer?

Overclocking 'your computer' is not something that would affect this. Only overclocking the graphics card.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

I know I had my cards run at up to 88 with no problems, as I understand it they can go up to 90 or so - but even for a GPU 100 seems a bit high. Can you try looking around in RivaTuner for the fan speed settings and set it to constantly on at 100%? See if that does anything.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

I know I had my cards run at up to 88 with no problems, as I understand it they can go up to 90 or so - but even for a GPU 100 seems a bit high. Can you try looking around in RivaTuner for the fan speed settings and set it to constantly on at 100%? See if that does anything.

Doing a quick search on google most people have a temp of 75c under full load.

If you have temps reaching 100c while playing the game, I think it's over heating.

Try playing the game with the side pannel of your case off and see if that helps drop the temp, it may drop them enough to stop the color distortion.

Parabola's suggestion of running the fan at 100% all the time is a good idea too.

goldenblade995.png

Doing a quick search on google most people have a temp of 75c under full load.

The thing is though, the people that report their temperature are the sort of people to ensure they have decent temperatures. I'm pretty sure it can run a bit higher than that (10-15 degrees) without problems in the short term.

When I had my Sparkle 8800GTX I had the card fan at 100% all the time in a Stacker 830 with 8x 120mm fans, 4 of which were directly over the card, and in games it still averaged about 80-85c.

For the record, mine went back due to memory problems.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Have you recently overclocked your computer?

Overclocking 'your computer' is not something that would affect this. Only overclocking the graphics card.

My bad, I should have said GPU or graphic card instead.

Possibly is might be caused by a magnetic field most likely by a DC current because it will cause a steady distortion but AC will usually just case the image to have a "wave distortion".

In theory if the above suggestions are true about the graphics unit over heating then it wouldn't hurt to check if lowering the screen refresh rate will make a difference. It wouldn't hurt to lower it a bit permanently if this helps at all since programs usually will be the lower one in most cases.

If you have another monitor it would help out a lot to check if that will work decently so you can either know you need a new monitor or rule it out.

I just thought what it might be. How far away are your speakers/sub woofer from your monitor. I remember having a similar trouble when I got my new sound system last Christmas. I magnets in the speakers and sub woofer screw up the colour on the monitors.

They normally go either purple or green, (well it when purple when i put the sub woofer below and speaker on top, and green when I put a magnet on the TV).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

He didn't say anything about the colours being distorted outside of Oblivion. If it was magnetic interference it would affect the screen all the time - not just in a game.

This would have been a 'colours distorted on my computer' thread, not a 'colours distorted in oblivion' thread.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg