~~ The Beginners Guide to 63 Hunter - Version 2 ~~

SomeWelshGuy

This guide has been replaced with my brand new guide, "Hunter - The Guide". To view this new and improved version, click here.

[hide=To view this old guide, click here]thebeginnersguideto63huzj7.png

Please help me improve my guide! If you like it, please post and say so! :)[/b]

Introduction

After looking at many guides for Hunter on the forums, I found loads of great information, although I had to look at all of them to find the right tricks. This guide shows you all the possible ways of getting to 63 hunting, and where to go from there. Version 2 has updated pictures, easier to read layout, and extra information such as outfit, levels and quests. If you want to view Version 1 for some odd reason, click here. I don't play RuneScape much anymore, and so don't know any of the latest updates.

Notes before reading

You may want to use [CTRL] + [F] to find a specific part of the guide. Contains many pictures, all taken and edited by me. This guide is entirely my work. I would also greatly appreciate any constructive comments, and would also like to see ways of improving my guide. If you dont have anything good to say, dont say it, you can criticise my guide by all means, but dont flame me. This is Version 2 of my hunters guide, so I hope you enjoy it.

Now thats over, on to the actual guide:

Back to basics

The Outfit

This is the ideal outfit for hunting, although many things can be compensated if you do not have the required levels to wear everything.

outfit.png

Head, Body & Legs: Larupia Outfit -> Jungle Camo Clothes -> Nothing

Weapon: [Magic] Butterfly Net -> Dramen/Lunar Staff -> Nothing

Amulet: Amulet of Glory -> Games Necklace -> Nothing

Gloves: Penance Gloves -> Gloves of Silence -> Nothing

Cape: Spottier Cape -> Spotted Cape -> Nothing

Ring:Ring of Life -> Ring of Dueling -> Nothing

Shield: Nothing

Arrows: Nothing

Recommended Levels & Quests

Although you dont need any quests or levels to begin hunting, I do recommend that you have the following levels to make it easier to start. Please note that these levels are just for hunting, and not for quests.

Agility: The Higher the Better The higher your agility the quicker your energy charges up

Runecrafting: 54 if you want to craft your own Laws, but not required

Hunter: Youre reading the guide :P

Magic: 45 minimum so that you can teleport around the world

Quests:

Fairy Tale Part II - Cure a Queen: Up to the point so that you can use the fairy rings.

Ghosts Ahoy: Reward is the ectophial, a very useful piece of equipment.

If I have missed out any item, level or quest, feel free to tell me and Ill add it.

Starting Out

Everyone has to start out somewhere, so this is where it all begins.

There are two hunter shops in RuneScape, one in Yanille and one in Nardah. I recommend using the one in Yanille, as it is just easier to get to. There are many ways to reach there, including:

Walking - By using the world map, navigate your way there. Remember, if you are a low level, you might want to avoid the ogres that sometimes wander near Yanille.

Ring of Duelling - If you own a ring of duelling, right click it and select the Rub option, or if it is wielded, right click and select operate, then select the Castle Wars option. You can buy a duelling ring from players, or you can create your own. Click here to view the Tip.it jewellery guide for more information.

Fairy Rings - There is a fairy ring near to Yanille, which is shown on the map below. The code to this fairy ring is C I Q. To use the fairy rings, you must have reached a certain part in Fairy Tale Part II - Cure a Queen.

route1uh8.png

Key

Black Route - Ring of Duelling from Castle Wars

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

Supplies

Now youre there, get some money out of the bank, and trade with Aleck. You dont need all of the equipment for the routes we will use, so for now buy around 5 box traps, 3 bird snares, a butterfly net and 5 - 10 butterfly jars. These should be plenty to get you to 63 hunter.

hunterstore1th7.png

The First Hunt - Levels 1 to 9

Now that you have all the supplies, its actually time to hunt. Head down to the Jungle hunting area, which is south from where you are. You can also use the Fairy Ring code A K S. When walking, lower levels may want to run, as there are a few Ogres on the way down.

route2ng5.png

Key

Green Route - Walking from Yanille

Yellow Route - Walking from Castle Wars

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

You will be catching Crimson Swift, a type of bird you can hunt. To catch one, simply stand around the general area that they fly about, and Lay your bird snare. Wait for a bird to land on it. There is a chance it will get away and set off your trap. If this happens, simply dismantle your trap and lay it again. If the bird gets caught, check the snare, and lay it again. Dont bother collecting the bird meats, they are not worth the inventory space. Continue doing this until you are level 9 hunter.

Once you lay the trap, it should look like this:

1.png

After a Crimson Swift has been caught, it should look like this:

2.png

Longtail Hunting - Levels 9 to 15

Great work, now that you have a little experience in hunting, we can now move on to a brand new hunting area! This is the woodlands hunting area, and contains many new things to hunt, some of which we will right now. To get there you can walk, or use the fairy ring (Code A K Q). We will be hunting a bit called Copper Longtails, which are better experience than Crimson Swifts, and so will help you level up faster.

How to get there

route3zh9.png

Key

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

Green Route - Walking

Orange Route: Walking from Piscatoris Fishing Colony (Swan Song Required)

Now we are here, take out your bird snare and start catching those Copper Longtails, exactly like you did with the Crimson Swifts in the previous chapter.

4.png

Butterflies - Levels 15 to 20

We will be staying in the Woodland Area for the next few levels, so no more walking is involved - for now :P. Lay your bird snare to catch Copper Longtails like before, except wield your butterfly net and go a little bit south. Here you can catch butterflies while you wait for your trap to be sprung. Make sure you pay attention to your chat window, as it will tell you if your trap as fallen over. Just release the butterflies after youve caught them. Continue doing this for the next 5 levels, until level 20.

5.png

Wagtails - Levels 20 to 27

For the next 7 levels, we will be travelling back to the Jungle Hunting area, although this time to catch a brand new type of bird, the Tropical Wagtail. You may have also noticed that when you reach 20 hunter you can set up 2 traps at a time, to give you even more experience. Be careful of the wolves and ogre warriors that are to the West of the hunting area.

route4vn1.png

Key

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

Green Route - Walking

3.png

Well done! You have reached the base hunter level!

In this guide, the base hunter level is the level where you start to decide where and how you want to train hunter. All of these methods give roughly the same experience, they are just a completely different way of hunting.

Levels 27 - 42 - How to get there

Option 1: Eagles Peak - Level 27 - 43

Now that youve reached level 27, you can complete a short, easy quest, called Eagles Peak. This quest will give you quite a bit of hunter experience, but most importantly allow you to trap ferrets! For a detailed guide on how to complete this quest, click here.

After completing the quest, go to the ferret hunting area, which is directly above Eagles Peak.

ferretmapcp9.jpg

An important rule for hunter is to never lay your traps in a straight line, but for ferrets this rule can be ignored. Just lay them east to west, as this is the direction you automatically move anyway. When the traps get activated, check them to receive the ferret. Remember to release your ferrets for the best experience. When you reach level 40, you can place 3 traps in a row. Continue this until level 43.

6.png

Option 2: Swamp Lizards - Level 29 - 43

An alternative to Eagles Peak, is to continue with Tropical Wagtails until you reach level 29 hunting, and then move on to Swamp Lizards. These are situated near Canifis, and require the Priest in Peril and Nature Spirit quests to be completed.

swamplizardmapea4.jpg

Key

Blue Route - From Canifis Bank

Yellow Route Ectophial (Quickest)

Orange Route - Ectophial (Avoiding Haunted Woods)

You catch Swamp Lizards using net traps. To create a net trap, bring a rope and a small fishing net with you in your inventory. Find a Young Tree, and click on it to set up the trap. There may be some ghasts on the way, but there are hardly any at the hunting site itself, making it an ideal place to train. These give roughly the same experience as ferrets.

7.png

Levels 43 - 63 - How to get there

Falconry - Levels 43 - 47/59/63

Ahh the Falconry. Here you can hire a bird for a small charge of 500gp, and let it hunt for you, giving you the experience. This is situated in the Woodland hunting area, and is very close to where you hunted Copper Longtails.

falconermapam9.jpg

Key

Green Route - Walking (From Ferrets)

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

Talk to Mathias and ask for a bird, he will then charge you 500gp. Find some Spotted Kebbits. Tell your vird to catch them, and then go to pick-up your Falcon form the ground. You may miss the kebbit however, so keep trying until you catch them. You can stay here until level 47 and then continue on to Orange Salamanders, or stay here until level 60. Its a matter of which method of hunting your prefer.

8.png

Optional Orange Salamanders - Levels 47 - 59/63

If you start to get bored with Falcons, you could try Orange Salamanders at level 47. These give around the same experience as Falcons, but in my opinion much more interesting and easier to hunt. You can walk from the Shantay Pass to reach the destination, or use the fairy ring code D L Q.

orangesalamandersmapey1.jpg

Key

Orange Route - Walk from Shantay Pass

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

Remember your waterskins. They may seem like a pain to bring, but the pros outweigh it. The hunting spot is also very close to the fairy ring and pretty close to the city Nardah, which has a fountain to fill up your waterskins. Use the same technique as Swamp Lizards here, create net traps using a rope and a small fishing net. Stay here until level 59, and then move on to Red Salamanders, or just stay here until level 63 hunter if you want, its up to you.

9.png

Option 3 Red Salamanders - Levels 59 - 63

Red Salamanders are great experience, although they are not everyones cup of tea. I dont like them that much, but again, its your choice. When you can set up 4 traps, they give very fast experience. Same method as Orange Salamanders here. Continue trapping these until level 63 hunter if you like. You can use the fairy ring code C I Q, walk, or use the Spirit Tree.

redsalamandersmapfg5.jpg

Key

Orange Route - Spirit Tree

Red Route - From Ardougne

Blue Route - Fairy Ring

Green Route - Castle Wars

10.png

Remember, Red salamanders, falcons, orange salamanders, swamp lizards and ferrets are all a great way to get to 63 hunter. Remember you can mix and match methods, it will make training much more enjoyable.

63 And Beyond!

My 63 Hunter Message

63hunterai7.jpg

huntredchinchompaspy0.gifhuntredchinchompaspy0.gif

Congratulations on reaching 63 hunter! You can now catch the famous Red Chinchompa, which is a great money maker. I wont go into detail on how to catch them, you can find many guides on that specific subject.

Feel free to post pictures of you getting 63 hunter using this guide. ;)

Thanks for reading my guide, enjoy your Hunting!

This guide is 100% my work. I wrote everything and made all of the screenshots and images. This guide has been posted on Tip.It, Draynor and RuneHQ by myself "Ddraiggoch06". If you see this guide posted anywhere else please contact me.

Want to link to my guide or quote a few bits from it? Feel free to, just ask me first and give me some credit :)

Changelog

•  
    [*:3c3s7vih]21/07/08 - Began adding xp per hour

[*:3c3s7vih]21/07/08 - Began changing screenshots to new HD equivalents

[*:3c3s7vih]24/06/08 - Re-posted guide after server crash

Last Updated: 27/07/08 16:14 (GMT)[/hide]

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

Good guide, maybe add exp/hour numbers? It always helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice guide I'm using it as a base for hunter. I had a bad intro to hunter. I thought it slow and boring on my other account but i was hunting at the wrong places.

9/10.

Maybe add other places and xp/hour?

lampost_sig_stark.png

You could add for Orange Salamanders you can now use that Enchanted Water Tiara from whatever quest it was to avoid having to bring waterskins

NecroOne.jpg

Iamanarab - 119/110 Combat - 1700+ Total - P2P for the moment

Drops: [3] Dragon Legs [2] Shield Left Half [1] Draconic Visage

• 2 weeks later...
You could add for Orange Salamanders you can now use that Enchanted Water Tiara from whatever quest it was to avoid having to bring waterskins

Ok, will add. I've been away for a while so I'll have to have a look at what new items there have been.

Thanks a lot!

I was reading a guide to get 1 - 99 hunter in two weeks but it got my hunting copper longtails till level 30 which was awfully slow so i stopped. It got lost to the rollback anyway lol

I'm sure this guide will get me to 60 hunter some time - thanks.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I enjoyed the use of this guide. So far, I've achieved 50 Hunter using this guide and look forward to getting to 63. I must say it is very detailed and essential to all beginning Hunters. Perhaps, as suggested, add xp/hour and it'll have perfection. I'd also like to point out how fast the Falconry is compared to switching over to Salamanders. I spent a few minutes there and released how much of a hassle it truly was. Thanks for the help!

50hunt.jpg

dracomagecopy.png

Decent guide. :thumbup:

Exp and numbers would be cool.

Also, you should include the money you could make with swamp lizzards. They're used in summoning for the Moss titan and shouldn't be thrown away, them lizzards.

• 4 weeks later...

for 29-43 you should add that if you want to make money along the way, swamp lizards are good, because they sell from between 1k-1.4k and theres always a demand for them. (at least there was a few weeks ago when i was doing them). so on your way between 29 to 43 you want to make money swamp lizards are the way to go, but if you want it fast you should go for the ferrets.

how long did this take becuz for me it only took about 11 hours.. ur tellin them to use some of the worst exp catches...

Ok, firstly, I'm not telling them to do anything. People don't have to follow the guide if they don't want to ;)

More to the point, no, these aren't the worst xp catches, doing crimson swifts until level 63 is the worst xp. The whole point of this guide is to add some variety. It's not a "do this, do that" guide. I for one like choice, and would happily sacrifice a little bit of xp to make the whole "journey" (if you want to call it that) nicer. I don't have xp per hour and calculations on how long it would take purely because the whole point of hunter is to be a fun and relaxing skill. There are hundreds of guides on how to get the fastest xp, and I wanted this to be different. The guide shows you different ways of getting there, with different amounts of xp. Whatever way you choose to use is up to you.

Really nice guide, I'm definitely gonna use this to get 63 hunter. With numbers, 10/10, at the moment, 9/10 :thumbsup:

hot_lips255.png

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

Did you know that 78.45% of statistics are made up on the spot?

hot_lips255.png

[Removed - Site sends spam and requires personal information to recieve results] Bluelancer

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear you got 63 hunter, and thanks for the comments :D

V3 is almost ready, although it has a new name, so isn't called V3. If anyone has any xp per hour they would be willing to share with me, that would be great. It'll save me some time.

New Guide Released. To view it, click here.