Pieces of Christine - A (very) short story

Necromagus

Something I scribbled down during the course of a very boring history lecture. It's a tad on the short side, but I think it came out alright.

---

Pieces of Christine

The body that floated down the canal was a fragile thing. Her lifeless eyes stared up into the sunrise. She smiled. The ruby lips were the only thing on her waxen, porcelain face that still seemed somewhat alive. She smiled.

Her stiff dead fingers were curled around the strap of a small black purse. The clasp had somehow opened, and one by one the contents were pulled out by the water. A wallet. Lipstick. An empty can of mace. An unopened pack of tissues. A string of beads attached to a crucifix. The rosary took a few minutes to clear itself from the handbag, but then it too drifted off. The body still smiled.

She had been floating in the canal for three days now. Past houses, schools, bridgesÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ Nobody had seen her as she drifted past. There was a large tear in her black velvet dress. She had been stuck on a rusty hook jutting out from a pillar for a while until the force of the water tore her loose to continue her journey.

Her long blonde hair fanned out in her wake, leaving a long line of v-shaped ripples. A few black wisps were caught in it, dead leaves that had been floating down the canal just like she was until they became stuck in the loose strands.

A seagull screeched in the distance. She was nearly there. The west wind carried the scent of sal[bleep]er into the town as it pushed along leaden clouds heavy with rain. Their sprawling masses were painted red by the rising sun. The shadow of another bridge drifted over her. The wooden thing groaned under the weight of the fishmongerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s cart that was being pushed over it, accompanied by bellowed praise of the freshness of its contents that pulled the last few that were still sleeping out of their slumber. Christine shook slightly. The water became more turbulent now that she had passed out into the sea. She still smiled as the warm red light of the sun slowly shifted to a pale yellow. A small swell shook her just enough to force the empty purse from her fingers.

It drifted away slowly, leaving Christine behind as she floated towards a new day.

• 3 weeks later...

Blank spots are for the reader to fill in, the writer left them blank for a reason :wink:

an empty can of mace? did she get raped or something?! :shock:
I have to admit, that thought crossed my mind. That or she was possibly a victim of robbery and ended up being killed in the process so she could not identify the robber.

Indeed, the blanks are left to be filled by the reader. I prefer this style because it allows the reader to engage themselves into reading the story more deeply than just skimming across the page.

Great story :D I enjoyed reading it ... from a forensic point there are a few issues with the body but from a readers point it was great reading :D

I would love to find out what happens next if you continue it :)

~Alduron

swordsig16zk.gif

you scribbled that during history?!?! God ****it man I wish I could right like that. I really don't care that it was "on the short side" it was excelent.

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42