Starting a new clan? what resources do i need?

VEGHATERMEATLOVER

Starting your own clan isn't easy. You need all sorts of things such as recruitment plans, teamspeak, irc, forums, etc. But most of all, you need clan experience. If you haven't been in a clan before then that would be the first thing I recommend. You will learn valuable skills there that will help you open a clan once you are ready.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Let me give you a few tips...

1. Do not set your High Council and Warlord immediately, wait and see who suits best for the job after a few recruitment!

2. Try to make your forums, if any, nice and organized.

3. Make a Memberlist! Although RuneHead is down at the moment...

4. Post Recruitment topics or Images on popular Fansites such as Tip.It, Zybez.net, salsCD.com, etc.

5. As a leader, don't take every single idea members have just to be loved, instead, teach your members to be said no to their ideas with good arguments from your side...

6. If you get a good suggestion from a member, talk to your staff about it before approving it!

7. Sometimes strict leaders are the best for clans, I'll take an example of my leader, I consider him as the best leader ever!

I'll leave the rest of the tips to other people!

Good luck!

2rwsvao.png2nlzui0.png5ewcaq.png

A clan called Exodus made it by buying members with sara sets traded trough BH. Thats not really possible no more tought :(

62adf7.png

Proud Blacknight since 2004 September

Blacknights Elder since 2005 September

Blacknights Warlord/council 2005-2007

A clan called Exodus made it by buying members with sara sets traded trough BH. Thats not really possible no more tought :(

I'm sorry, is it topic related? ::'

That would be... no.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

hi, i'm planning on starting my own clan what resources do i need, what would incourage people to join and what would make this the "best clan"?

He needs resources with what he can start a clan. :P

Giving stuff away so people join is kind of silly tbh, no offense but was that a free post? :P

hi, i'm planning on starting my own clan what resources do i need, what would incourage people to join and what would make this the "best clan"?

Giving stuff away so people join is kind of silly tbh, no offense but was that a free post? :P

It might be silly, but it does encourage people to join, and has been done before by a clan that is still around, and stronger than like any clan in twr. (unfortunantely)

62adf7.png

It might be silly, but it does encourage people to join, and has been done before by a clan that is still around, and stronger than like any clan in twr. (unfortunantely)

Have you seen exodus lately? It didn't work out so well for them in the end.

polvCwJ.gif

thanks for the feedback but i definatly don't want to be giving people stuff if they join as thats going to be hard and illigal.

i meant what would i need to set up, there is no real need for IRC is there. forums can be made easily once i have 20 members in the clan, i can do it on tip.it, i was thinking more about how to get people into my clan quickly and easily.

meatlover.png

thanks for the feedback but i definatly don't want to be giving people stuff if they join as thats going to be hard and illigal.

i meant what would i need to set up, there is no real need for IRC is there. forums can be made easily once i have 20 members in the clan, i can do it on tip.it, i was thinking more about how to get people into my clan quickly and easily.

But do you want people in your clan quickly and easily? Clans that take the mass recruiting path generally slump or close. Have you been in a clan before?

And yes, IRC is pretty crucial if you want your clan to be "good". As well as forums, you can't wait until you have 20 members, you need them from day 1.

polvCwJ.gif

Starting and setting up a clan (a few pointers)

Table of Contents

[*:1jrf8ofr] Clan Structure

[*:1jrf8ofr] Forums

[*:1jrf8ofr] IRC and Clan Chat

[*:1jrf8ofr] Runehead

[*:1jrf8ofr] Teamspeak and Ventrilo

[*:1jrf8ofr] Recruitment Topic

[*:1jrf8ofr] Conclusion

There are several things that you need to have a working clan. This mini guide will outline whatever you need. Yes, I typed this up right now. :P

A clan structure

Before you move on, you need a clan structure. This must be done before anything else!

What is a clan's structure?

A clan's structure are a number of things including the way you organize ranks, application processes, your events, and more (including a name!). Make sure you plan that out!

What about staff?

I would recommend choosing staff after your clan has been around for a little while. By this time, you should be able to see those who stand out from the rest and who would potentially not power abuse. Until that time you should remain the only person with power in the clan.

Forums

Why do I need forums?

Forums are highly recommended as it is the main communication area for your clan! Contains information such as events, IRC, clan chat or anything else that is used by your clan. Make sure your members are active (ensure that they post often, not just lurk either!).

What type of software is best?

All different forum packages offer their pros and cons. For beginning a clan I'd recommend Invisionfree or IPBFree or Zetaboards.

What do I do once I actually get my forum?

Start setting up forum categories, boards and stickies. Depending on your clan's structure you may want to create an Introduction's forum, clan members forum, and discussion forums for RuneScape and Off-Topic discussions. Since your clan is starting out with low activity, you should create forums under broad topics such as "RuneScape" and "Off-Topic" and once activity picks up, you can create other sub-forums such as "Achievements" or "Music". You can also create forum links to popular downloads such as mIRC, AVG, Teamspeak, Ventrilo and SwiftKit.

For stickies, it's best to make the most important ones first. These would include the clan's rules, forum rules, etc. Some sample rules could involve "No flaming", "No spamming", "No Jagex rule breaking". Just make sure to be clear on what these rules are.

My forums look plain!

You're going to have to choose one or more forum skins for your forum or else your forums just won't look good at all, and unfortunately your members won't like it either!

Here is an example of a site where you can get themes for your forums: http://zbthemezone.com/index/

You have to register and confirm your email. Once you find a skin you like, follow the instructions provided and there you go!

IRC and Clan Chat

IRC is can be used through SwiftKit, mIRC, or even Mibbit.

Why do I need an IRC channel? Doesn't clan chat function well?

Yes, and no. If you wish to link to a forum topic containing information about a war coming up, you won't be able to link it on your clan chat. In IRC, you can without the threat of being reported. It also offers a lot more control with channel modes, bots, and much much more!

Then I do not need a clan chat?

Absolutely not. A clan chat is highly recommended because not only does it give those in your cc purple dots, but it allows you to have clan wars within the Clan Wars Arena!

RuneHead memberlists

It's highly recommended that you get a RuneHead memberlist. It helps organize your clan in a convenient list containing their RuneScape stats.

Teamspeak and Ventrilo

Once your clan becomes active enough, you should try and look into getting a Ventrilo or Teamspeak. With audio communication, it can both make your clan members closer and have faster reaction time in wars.

Recruitment Topic

Once everything is set up to how you like it, start recruiting!

How do I set up a good recruitment topic?

A good recruitment topics has all the necessary information needed such as clan requirements, forum/runehead/clan chat/irc channel information, a summary of the events offered, and anything else that you feel you wish to add. A great recruitment topic contains all those, but with graphics. No, I'm not talking about something made in MSPaint, I'm talking about graphics that are made by those who are familiar with Photoshop or GIMP. A good bet is to stop by The Gallery and see what the image artists can offer you.

In conclusion

Make sure you set up everything BEFORE you recruit. This way you won't have to spend time setting things up when you could be recruiting or meeting with potential clan members. Once your clan grows, you can join different clan-related features offered by fansites such as The Conclave or even the Clan Leader forum on the RuneScape Official Forums. Tip.it War Rankings can be a future goal as well.

Good luck!

j0xPu5R.png

Be prepared to devote almost all of your free moments to your clan. Try to start with a solid base of members with which to recruit from instead of just recruiting everyone.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Be prepared to devote almost all of your free moments to your clan. Try to start with a solid base of members with which to recruit from instead of just recruiting everyone.

Yep, that also. Telling your members to be active when you're not just won't work. :P

j0xPu5R.png

Try to start with a solid base of members with which to recruit from instead of just recruiting everyone.

That means don't go into the Grand Exchange and yell at people who want to join your clan...

( I saw that a lot tbh )

Try to start with a solid base of members with which to recruit from instead of just recruiting everyone.

That means don't go into the Grand Exchange and yell at people who want to join your clan...

( I saw that a lot tbh )

Lol, thats got to be annoying.

meatlover.png

It's really hard to start and manage a clan. Infact i found it hard just to Manage a clan [ I didn't have to start it i had a good solid base of members when i took over as a leader ] But eventually you'll realize you have to be strict and enforce people to use irc/Vent or TS and your own personal forums. Without those your clan becomes lazy and the community isn't as there compared to other clans. I'd highly suggest joining a clan, test it out see how you enjoy it. I personally joined a new clan and the community is so much nicer because everyones willing to listen to the leaders, while starting your own clan it will be really time consuming and the strugle to keep everyones needs satisfied will be hard. Good luck with your clan if you decide to stick with it but once again I'd suggest finding a clan that suits you for now.

6590ew.jpg

You need a legit group of friends to start with. Anyone who knows the DF story as to how they began can tell you....

I wont go into the details but about 15 good friends with clan expierence started downfall from another clan and look where they are now ^.

So to start, quality > quanitiy for sure :)

~I will always have some KO in my heart <3 thanks for the memory's KO unit~

Old troll.

Ex-Leader of KO Unit

Ex-Member of Legendz

Ex-Member of the Wilderness Guardians

Try staying active on community forums, along with catchy sigs :)

when in doubt, call for blackup :D

I have lived my life to the best of my ability, but I have not been able to escape fate, anger, or pain.

Bring me the answers, and the road that leads to truth, reveal to me once and for all, how all of this will end.

Shadows cannot exist without the light. But without the shadows, the light has no meaning.

Well exodus had like 1 week ago the power to beat BK. Not too many tip.it clans can do that.

62adf7.png

Well exodus had like 1 week ago the power to beat BK. Not too many tip.it clans can do that.

This is not a topic to argue with other people, let's just stop arguing and try to help this man more! :)

I would suggest that you get a few good friends to join before starting to recruit anywhere else. You need people you can rely on, and it's very important to new recruits to see a strong commuinity in a clan.

sigfinalcopy.jpg

True Ownage Co-Leader

evertonp.jpg