Tip.It Times Presents: An Ethical Dilemma

Kiara_Kat

Admin Edit: This topic is for discussing the CURRENT article, NOT for re-hashing old arguments about whether Jagex was justified or not in banning certain players.

Please stick to the topic, or it will be locked.

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. This is a special article that's been prepared in light of the recent events surrounding last week's article.

Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! And remember, this is NOT the place to air your complaints about Jagex, or Jagex's policies!

An Ethical Dilemma

Kiara_Kat, Tip.It Crew Leader

As you all surely know by now, the article entitled "Biased Banning Raises Brows"was recently removed from the Tip.It Times. There have been many spirited discussions on our forums about the reasons for its removal, and many of you have assumed that it must be because...

Click here to read the rest of the article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the first time i've ever disagreed with Runescape and Andrew and his team, legal action I think is a step too far, Tip.it did nothing wrong, yes have been misleading to some people but it only posted facts or possible assumptions. Still why are there still the people with offensive names still going around, it's been in the policies for ages, so when they made the character they knew they were breaking the rules, so the character should be banned. It's not fair on the people who are found and are banned (yes, they do deserve it) when there are still people with offensive names. That should be done in one swoop like item trading etc. I have the right to say this so don't say anything about, anyone.

2kwooada.png

reading the last paragraph of the new article...

WOOT GO CONTROVERSY :!: :!: :!: (cheers)

without arguments the world would be like nazism (a little i leant in history ;))

also

woot go utter!!! (lesser cheers),

i would get very hacked off if a thing that i had spents years on had got this much abuse, but it is true that legal action was a bit over the top, (i remember adding a bit to the last article :lol: )

phaper.png

killing off the TET, one newb at a time :^_^:

latestsig-1.png

im cutting back on rs now due to rl issues (college), my sig stats havent been updated in a while...

I think that its complete garbage.

"Waahh... They said I was biased... I am going to sue them for some made-up reason, blah blah blah...."

Since when can you be sued for disagreeing with someones actions, or speaking your own opinion? Tip It has done nothing wrong but hurt someones feelings. Andrew didnt approach Tip It as a business man, he came at them in a whiny "I'm-telling-on-you kinda way".

I say stand up for yourself. you didnt break any of Jagex's rules, you can't be banned for THINKING.

Guest AshKaYu

I honestly can't believe Andrew would threaten Tip.it, not because we have immunity, but because tip.it brings in tons of RuneScapers.

This topic is for discussing the CURRENT article, NOT for re-hashing old arguments about whether Jagex was justified or not in banning certain players.

Please stick to the topic, or it will be locked.

sorry to point out the obvious but if Andrew had been like that, don't u think he would of taken the legal action instead of only threating it. And Andrew did everything in a business man mannor. The debate really is wether the article was impeeding that the banning was biased or its just that people mis-interpreted. Well done Tip.it for defusing a potential outbreak. So just grow up xiphos, it wasn't a made up reason.

2kwooada.png

sorry to point out the obvious but if Andrew had been like that, don't u think he would of taken the legal action instead of only threating it. And Andrew did everything in a business man mannor. The debate really is wether the article was impeeding that the banning was biased or its just that people mis-interpreted. Well done Tip.it for defusing a potential outbreak. So just grow up xiphos, it wasn't a made up reason.

And how would you know this?

Oh, and when you say grow up... should I act in a more "business man mannor"??

i guess tip.its lucky im not the editor because i probably wouldve encouraged them to take legal action especially since tip.it did nothing wrong. it would be even more of an embarassment for them lol

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

Sooooo.... we're supposed to talk about journalism?

I didn't say that. I said this topic was not intended to discuss Jagex's banning policies. If you want to discuss whether Tip.It should or should not have removed the article, go ahead.

u just proved my point, thanks:P

I just by chance happen to be a lawyer, I've done several of court battles over things like this. I'd say Tip.it is right but I can no longer reference the old article to be sure.

Business man mannor isn't the same as mature. Know that

2kwooada.png

This is dumb... I am tired of typing (currenly one-handed from a work accident, its hard being a Runescape playing lawyer)

I dont see the point in us rambling back and forth. So I am going to end it now by no longer posting on this thread. I've put in my 2 cents, and I'm happy with that. I can only hope that Tip.It wont get angry and demand that I remove my opinionated writing. I mean.... Freedom of speach is overated.

Have fun being a Lawyer 2K, although you should work on your spelling. Try to use "you" as opposed to "u" and don't forget that Lawyers work on the basis of evidence and proving things. With a little luck "u" might succeed.

Until next week.... See'ya

I don't think that the article should have been taken down. The article had an interesting perspective. I have seen many people use horrible language and have profane names that are playing. I have reported several of them. Many of them are on my ignore list because of their horrible language.

Also, as an adult who has children, I don't want that kind of language on my screen. However, I have no idea of whether all of the information was true. I am not saying it was false. I am just saying that the reference to purposefully not banning certain 'scapers may not have been substantiated.

I also do believe that Jagex over-reacted. I think that the actions gave the perception that there was a certain amount of truth to the article.

I know that the recent banning spree has made me more than a little nervous. The several people that have been posting about being banned without breaking any rules have given me a reason to wonder just what is going on.

So, in a nut shell, I don't believe the article should have been taken down, and I believe that Jagex over-reacted.

felter_laur.png

The Tippit Times, since it's beginning has been a voice for the lifeblood of Runescape-the players who love the essence of game. Normally that lifeblood is concerned with topics more in the direction of the Rares Market, or the latest updates. This time, however, there really was a turmoil going on about various player's bannings, and many people were jumping on their bandwagons, and saying exactly what the editor eventually said. In the Tippit portion of the Runescape community, that was the number one topic, and many were on the bandwagons, whether it were Droolman's with his daughter, or Scarlet Eve's with her entire family. The Editor picked up on this wave of sympathy, and the article came out. I believe Kiara Kat was correct using the statements about the "Canon's of Journalism" being "meant to make people think, incite discussion, and stimulate fair and informed debate" So why did this blow up? This is where my own opinions enter. In my opinion, this was not given fair and honest debate from its base threads. If you go back and look at any of these threads, anyone who presented an opinion counter to the recently banned high-level players was treated as one with absolutely no sensitivity, and was promptly flamed. There was a flaw here, it was at the base of the issue, and as such, the entire issue was flawed. When Tippit removed that post, they, in my opinion, acted very responsibly, and I am currently proud to be a part of Runescape, and of Tippit Forums.

When you are learning, you are growing. If you stop learning, you stop growing. If you stop growing, you die. Train hard, eat fried chicken, and take a one-a-day. (And cook that broccoli 'til it's yella and pour cheese all over it)

slowmethusel.png