Tip.It Times Presents: An Ethical Dilemma

Kiara_Kat

Pathetic... really

EVERY SINGLE THING said in the old artical (yeah spelled wrong -.-) i agreed with... Andrew needs to walk through his game a bit before he just poo poo's the arguements set against him... ( of which i will not rehash )

the name thing is so blatently true though...

As for tip.it takeing the newsletter down i think it was a VERY STUPID thing to do... This is one of the few times that i am really i mean really dissappointed and angry at tip.it for handing the gun to andrew and kissing his "ahem" hand

I would have let the tip.it community know and see what there thoughts were on the subject...

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't believe everything you read.

I would highly recommend any who have not read this to do so... very, very carefully. This person speaks from experience.

I think there is no question that Jagex needs better customer support, and that Andrew, Paul, and much of the main staff are more programmers/coders/etc. than seasoned businessmen-- therefore, the company may need some management restructuring.

One of their biggest obstacles is that you must live in Cambridge to work there, I think, at least in the sense that many would-be applicants are not in a position to move there. Can someone remind me why work is restricted to Cambridge? Something about security?

So was your whole little article your idea of a frikkin joke?

Because i can defenitely tell you that the Print and televison media in the

USA make little bones anymore about objective journalism. As well no one can frikkin force em to because we have something called the constitution , and our first amendment guarantees the right to free speech. So you whole little article seems like some sort of joke. I Am guessing as well andrew whatshisbut threatend to ban you also? I have learned jagex does not like you messing with what it lays down, when i once reported some worthless player mod for price fixing, they sent me a reply full of garbage about unreasonable prices etc. it was so pointless, they should set some price limits if they think prices are unreasonable. Anyhow as far as i am concerned you should have told jagex to stick it, They cannot sue or ban you for the truth, and I am sure a court would agree. There whole pretense of objectivity is long gone lol, they just care about makng money by serving little kids who have parents with big checkbooks. Anyhow, As far as I am concerned jagex does not cae about name if its a long time player. I have seen lvl 120+ people many times with very offensive names, and obviously jagex doesnt care or they would make it possible to change names or just ban people if they refuse to. its a Frikkin joke and you the author know. I am guessing jagex told you what to print for you" apology" *Superjonboy vomits uncontrollably*

Talk about wasting your time, Face it jagex does not care about the problem or they would not just threaten you. I know they have banne many people for cheating and thats great, but often they seem to be inconsistent in how they deal with players, which is very frustrating to long time players like myself(nearly 5 years).

anyhow, I hope you are not writing any articles in the future, jagex might get mad!

Yea I wish I could of saw the article, from what I read I'm guessing Jagex could of sued apon terms of you damaging their name/game Libel or slander maybe? I can't remember lol. Remember in this world you never know who's who o.O. I could be Gower, the person above or below me could be Gower, or even the 1 of the 100's that read this can be Gower. Good luck with your new policies hope they work out ! Keep on speaking your mind... pl0x? 8)

Franky8yomom - Leader of Insomnia

123+ F2P Cmb

Site |Memberlist | IRC: #claninsomnia

105+ PK/War Join today!

We re-opened this thread because we felt it was important for members of our community to be able to share their opinions.

Having said this, though, please remember that sharing your opinion does NOT mean ranting and raving and calling Jagex, Tip.It, or anyone else stupid or anything else that could be considered flaming.

There are forum rules that must be followed. So please, keep your criticism constructive!

And for the record, once again, we did NOT take the first article down because anyone asked us to. We removed it because looking back on it afterwards, we felt the article might appear one-sided to some readers, and we felt it did not present BOTH sides of the situation fairly. And that's just not right or fair, regardless of whether we had the legal right to say what we did or not.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

And for the record, once again, we did NOT take the first article down because anyone asked us to. We removed it because looking back on it afterwards, we felt the article might appear one-sided to some readers, and we felt it did not present BOTH sides of the situation fairly. And that's just not right or fair, regardless of whether we had the legal right to say what we did or not.

Sadly, no matter how often you stress this, people will believe what they've already convinced themselves to believe.

Wether you like it or not, if jagex does not like anything you are doing then they can take legal action against you. This is because tipit is a RUNESCAPE fan site, and RUNESCAPE is the property of JAGEX. Since you are making a fan site about their game, they can shut it down anytime, if you want to go to court, you will never win, becasue they might just wanted to close it because they dont want you to be making walkthroughs for their games, you affect their game.

Ofcourse, if they do shut down your site, then you will have all the right to make a site and say that you hate jagex for this and that and say anything you want about them (exept threats ofcourse).

When you sign up your account, you agree that JaGeX has absolute authority and ownership over your runescape account and your runescape items, and so if you do get banned unfairly, theres no way you can retaliate to jagex. But this also means that jagex has absolutely no reason to get angry. The players can't sue, can't claim ownership, can't do anything but "[bleep]", and "[bleep]ing" really shouldnt get andrew so fired up.

Several people have already stated in this thread that Jagex is only concerned with money and are really not equipped to deal with customer service in a professional way due to many reasons. The bottom line is that the only real way to get them to change is to impact their bottom line. That being said, I am proud to say I walk the talk and have been a F2P player for close to 6 months now.

My post was not flaming or spamming, I am just pretty disappointed in the lack of backbone here is all. It could easily be proved in any court of law anywhere that jagex is in the wrong here, simply by looking up a couple names on the highscore like fa*qu420,lvl 120 combat, thats cursing and a drug reference right there or swe*tybal*z, 105 combat. if those arent offensive simply because they are not spelled properly, then i guess its no biggie what anyones name is. I have nothing against those players, just a couple or names ive seen that are offensive or rude by most peoples standards( the asterisks were placed so that no one can accuse me of putting their actual names up and causeing them trouble)

Anyhow show me how I am wrong, we all know jagex bans some people for offensive names, and that some people may get banned without good reason( at least thats what THEY say, who knows how many of em didnt violate some rule.) But jagex getting angry over it when nobody was going to quit the game over it is just silly.

Not a bad article, i agree with most of what's said (i was one of the people who felt the old article made a lot of good points but was badly pitched).

What i don't understand is why, if that's the opinion of the Editor(s), the article was allowed to run in the first place, and why it took so long to be taken down?

Also, while only a minor complaint, i take issue with this sentence:

An editorial writer should strive to make sure that bias is avoided, and that his or her views on controversial subjects are balanced.

I think that a fair few people on this thread have read this line and started moaning, but did you actually mean to say it? The rest of the article is, quite rightly, focused on editorials beingopen and honest about the facts. But I think it's wrong to suggest they should be devoid of an opinion that's one sided - that's why editorials are distinct from news reports.

It could easily be proved in any court of law anywhere that jagex is in the wrong here, simply by looking up a couple names on the highscore like fa*qu420,lvl 120 combat, thats cursing and a drug reference right there or swe*tybal*z, 105 combat. if those arent offensive simply because they are not spelled properly, then i guess its no biggie what anyones name is. .

As Andrew explained, Jagex have a policy of not banning someone if they don't catch the name before they get their skills up a fair bit.

So was your whole little article your idea of a frikkin joke?

Because i can defenitely tell you that the Print and televison media in the

USA make little bones anymore about objective journalism.

Just because the Tip.It editor(s) are more concerned about ethics than the American gutter press that doesn't make their articles a joke.

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

BTW people, Jagex could TRY to sue for defamation/libel/slander/whatever (if they could even find a lawyer to take their case), but they would NOT WIN. That is because in order to win a case like that, you have to PROVE that the person you are suing was not telling the truth about you just to make you look bad. Now, since the article was an OPINION, you can't sue someone for their opinion. On top of that, since Jagex wouldn't be able to absolutely prove that they do not ban in an inconsistent manner in court, they wouldn't win the case anyway.

Also, just because this website is a RS fansite, does not mean in anyway that Jagex has the right to any power over it, which someone previously said in this thread. Because this site is an UNOFFICIAL fan site, it has no connection with Jagex and Jagex has no control over it. Basically all this site is is people getting together and talking/posting/whatever about something, and we all have the right to that...

Also, the reason for taking the article down for "Not being right"...it's sorta fishy that no one thought it was "not right" until the site was threatened by Jagex...

hi , i seem to have a problem with viewing the "biased" article concerned .....it seems i cant find a copy anywhere to read and make an informed comment about ......any ideas where i can find a copy. i could of course just let rip with my thoughts on this matter , but thats what possibly has happend already with other players. ty

Also, the reason for taking the article down for "Not being right"...it's sorta fishy that no one thought it was "not right" until the site was threatened by Jagex...

And as we all know, as long as one feels something is "fishy" the only next logical step is to assume the worst.

Andrew wrote one little line about legal action (which he apologized for in another thread), but it was a part of a much larger post. One in which he made some rather good points. It was likely those points (and the fact that the article was even noticed by Jagex's top dog in the first place) that had the most influence in the removal of the article.

Bottom line is, I'm not going to assume anything. I will however believe Kiara Kat and Newptor when they state their reasons for removing the article, only because they have no real reason to be untruthful about it.

I'm almost sorry that my post will bump this thread again...

Brilliantly written Kiara... more so than the explaination some of us were given about the Jark/Matteo vs. DeviantART dilema...

Clears alot of things up... but on what ground could AG take legal action? No offence intended to him or Jagex, but that seems rather brash to me...

monotonesiguv2.png

Jagex has become short sighted over the years. I blame the mass amount of noobs that made rs popular. Now they just care about money and pumping out crap every week to please the masses instead of making good quality updates maybe even only once a month like a few years ago. Jagex seriously needs to reevaluate what made them so popular in the first place, and try to go back to it. What do they care if a coupel thousand free players quit becuase of it, in the long run they'll get more members and mnore money, which is what they wanted anyway.

Lagatag.png

Amen rocky and lagatag great points. Also To respond to another article, My point was that its meaningless to hear what country a declaration is from if you dont live in that country, it wont affect you, unless you happen to be in it, While the principles put out in this lates tip.it times are nice sounding, the fact is that media does not nessacarily work that way anymore, especially in the USA.

I'd just like to point out that privately owned buisnesses, i.e website do not follow the same rule many keep blandering on about. Freedom of Press does not effect these private buisnesses (Tip.It)-It's a federal law. Unless I am mistaken, this rebutes over 20 people's argument, therefore I rest my case.

Jagex has become short sighted over the years. I blame the mass amount of noobs that made rs popular. Now they just care about money and pumping out crap every week to please the masses instead of making good quality updates maybe even only once a month like a few years ago. Jagex seriously needs to reevaluate what made them so popular in the first place, and try to go back to it. What do they care if a coupel thousand free players quit becuase of it, in the long run they'll get more members and mnore money, which is what they wanted anyway.

Could not agree more...

It's all gone to Andrew's head. He can't face the truth, so he pokes his team of lawyers at us... *sigh*.

exactly right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I NEED that artical... plz can sum1 pm it to me :?

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

It's all gone to Andrew's head. He can't face the truth, so he pokes his team of lawyers at us... *sigh*.

exactly right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I NEED that artical... plz can sum1 pm it to me :?

That pretty much sums up half the replies so far. Uninformed and unobjective. You haven't even read the article, yet you made the same massive generalization that most others did without looking at anything from a different angle.