Switching to Linux

LGBR

Well I am being forced to DL linux onto my current computer.

Is there anything I should know? like if any of my programs wont work, is it a bad user interface? is it complicated? etc

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

Who is forcing you to do anything?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The only programs that will work are those in a language like Java. The vast, vast majority won't work without emulation, which takes effort to set up and I don't know anything about it.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Is there anything I should know? like if any of my programs wont work, is it a bad user interface? is it complicated? etc

Yes, but it depends what you want to know.

Most windows programs will not work on linux and if they it either by port or emulation.

I found the user interface great, but it depends on the distro.

Complicated, yes and no, it depends. If you want to do all the stuff same as windows it will take some research and toying, but if you just want to use it for school work its very simple.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

The user interface is so much more customizable than the windows UI without any hacks. At first it'll be a little confusing but not too hard. Most distributions have a package manager to allow automated installs of most programs. For instance, Ubuntu which is based based off of Debian has "APT.", Gentoo has "emerge", and there are a bunch of others.

I just put linux on my computer and it works pretty well. I have to tell you that if you've never used it before it may be a bit difficult. I was able to easily get flashplayer 9 installed, but java I haven't figured out yet. #-o

Anyway, it has a nice user interface, and overall it looks way better then windows (not having to deal with microsoft is a major plus). If you have a friend that knows linux well (im guessing you do as your somehow being "forced" to put it on, which only a linux user would want to force you to do it :P) have them help you. Learning it on your own teaches you a lot about using linux, but help is always good. What kind of linux will you be installing anyway? I'm using ubuntu lol. \'

edit: it also can be a bit confusing, Its fun but if youve never played in windows command prompt you will have some fun figuring out the commands.. Its not like windows for most things, installation requires thought. Oh, and try not to delete anything your not supposed to.. might not turn out good.. :thumbsup:

Roommates
The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

Roommates

What the your going to switch your OS just because some tells you too?

At least try a dual boot first to see if you like it.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Roommates

dont even do that download vmware, install it and then download a copy of the distro you want, id recommend ubuntu since you go to try it out

after you have vmware downloaded and install then have a ubuntu burned to a cd then set it up to run a virtual machine from your windows, that way you can test it out see if you like it before you make the switch

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Roommates

His dad pays for his 6k CAD computer and believes its essential to the security of it. I'm the only one who uses it, its a gaming computer that can run WoW,MSN and firefox all at the same time without any lag. It was built by gods

Roommates

His dad pays for his 6k CAD computer and believes its essential to the security of it. I'm the only one who uses it, its a gaming computer that can run WoW,MSN and firefox all at the same time without any lag. It was built by gods

Alrighty, good luck with your "6 k CAD" computer.

First of all, what are the specs? I feel something funky in the air. Something like a... Bad lie maybe?

Second, all you have mentioned except for firefox will not run on Linux as far as I'm concerned.

Roommates

First of all, what are the specs? I feel something funky in the air. Something like a... Bad lie maybe?

Second, all you have mentioned except for firefox will not run on Linux as far as I'm concerned.

Its an alienware aurora

2GB RAM

500GB HD

GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card

NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI Motherboard

24" widescreen flat panel monitor

I go to a pretty nice school, I'm probably the only one there actually paying for it themselves

Roommates

Its an alienware aurora

2GB RAM

500GB HD

I go to a pretty nice school, I'm probably the only one there actually paying for it themselves

That's not even close to 6,000$ lol.

About being able to run MSN, world of warcraft *and* (oh no) Firefox, my Intel Pentium 4 with 3.2 ghz processor, 1 gig RAM (Kingston 3200) with Radeon 9600 Pro video card can do it to :/

Computer made by gods I suppose.

That's not even close to 6,000$

It is after buying it from AlienWare. :lol: That isn't even a "CAD" computer. Something serious about CAD wouldn't have been bought from AlienWare and wouldn't be using a gamer mobo and video card.

If your room mate is stupid enough to spend $6k on a computer you can build by hand for less than $2k, he's stupid enough to get himself infected too. There is no reason for you to be forced into switching OSes because he says so. It's your computer. He can go secure his own machine and not worry about what yours is doing. As long as his is secure, there is nothing for him to worry about.

I'd be telling him in a not so nice way to go back to his hole and worry about his own machine. :?

1.His dad bought it

2. It's not my computer

3.I meant CAD as in the Canadian currency.

bout being able to run MSN, world of warcraft *and* (oh no) Firefox, my Intel Pentium 4 with 3.2 ghz processor, 1 gig RAM (Kingston 3200) with Radeon 9600 Pro video card can do it to :/
100% lag free with no "switch" times when you minimize the screen? no, it cant

1.His dad bought it

2. It's not my computer

Are you saying you use this machine for your internet/work/ect? The rest of the thread made it sound like he was forcing you to change your machine to Linux. :?

6000 Canadian dollars = 5179.11 U.S. dollars (courtesy Google). Still way more than the sub $2k USD I could build it for today.

Unfortunately, my 1.8ghz Athlon64 3200, gig of ram and 6800GS does exactly the same thing and I only payed $600 to build it 2 years ago.

Natively, nothing but FireFox will run. With WinE, WoW will run, I have no idea about MSN though but there's gAIM for that.

Yea I already know about wine and for MSN I'll have to use trillian. Havent used that since its beta test like 4 years ago

@Cruiser

What is so special about AlienWare?

They sell so of the highest spec gaming pc's you can buy prebuilt.

2GB RAM

500GB HD

What the ****?

You want to run Linux on one of the best gaming rigs you can buy....

Thats like buying a sports car and only using the first gear.

Don't get me wrong Linux is secure and is great for non gaming.

But, nearly all games require windows to play. And the windows emulators available on Linux will give you nowhere near the performance you would get with windows.

If your worried about virus' just download a good free anti virus, a good firewall, and a few ad/spyware programs.

Having a 8800 card and using Linux is just like shooting yourself in the foot, it will hurt a whole, bunch and is pointless.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

@Cruiser

What is so special about AlienWare?

AlienWare is a rip off. Plain and simple. You are paying for a name and maybe a service plan for parts that more than likely won't fail until after said service plan expires. You could probably tack on a few hundred more for the injection molded case too.

I've since lost the wishlist and the specific AlienWare model, but someone else here in the T&C forum had brought up AlienWare as a possible vendor to buy a new machine from. So I picked a machine off AlienWare's website, matched it down to the exact same hardware model numbers, and shaved something like $2500 off the listed price AlienWare wanted. Even after paying the local neighborhood geek to spec it out and put it together, you're still saving a ton of money.

Paying the AlienWare premium for the same parts you can get from any other vendor for much, much cheaper is a waste all around.

1.His dad bought it

2. It's not my computer

bout being able to run MSN, world of warcraft *and* (oh no) Firefox, my Intel Pentium 4 with 3.2 ghz processor, 1 gig RAM (Kingston 3200) with Radeon 9600 Pro video card can do it to :/

2.4GHZ Athalon 64 with 1gb ram and 6600GT and I run that just fine, I dual box Lineage II just fine.

PS: I use dual monitors so I have no 'switch time'.

Anyways, don't bother with linux. Windows is plenty safe if you aren't stupid.