Tip.It Times Presents: All���¢�¢â�š�¬�¢â�ž�¢s fair in love and war...

Kiara_Kat

I think this article is very well written,

and a good time-killer while training my fishing :D

It took me some time to figure all the words out

but i got the point, and i am dutch.

So if anyone from england/america or any other

country in which the main language is english didn't

get the point right away, they must be under the age

of 10, or mentally handicapped.

(No means to offend any mental-handicapped person)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say this article felt like it made no solid points. To me it came across as the longest ramble I've seen yet in a tip.it article.

I'm inclined to agree. I found some good stuff in this article, but, for the most part, I just found myself wondering what the author was trying to say. Here's some constructive criticism for the author: Start with a thesis. Then, as you write, constantly ask yourself, "How does what I'm writing relate to my thesis?" If it doesn't relate, cut it out. If it does relate, make sure that you include enough transitions and explanations so that readers can follow the relationship with your thesis.

On the subject of "codes of honor" in the wildy, I generally avoid the wildy because I don't like to die. When I have to go (usually to hunt dragons or for clue scroll), I prepare to live, and to leave as little of value as possible behind should I die. I'd rather drop items then die with them in my inventory or on my person. Probably not very honorable, I know. How about adding this "item" to your honor code -- if someone's obviously in the wildy for a purpose that has nothing to do with pk, leave them alone. If you choose to attack them, don't cry if they decline to let you have their items. That's my honor code -- it's a point of honor with me to decline to whine about those who choose not to play by my rules. Those of you who like to fight by an "honor code," I hope you'll look me up when I am in the wildy, 'cause I'll be loaded up with food and prayer pots.

punitivedsig.png

I'm quite well versed in strictly supporting a thesis statement punitive_d, but as you may have noticed yourself in the schools where that was drilled into you... it produces boring and soulless writing. Go read the essays of Emerson and Montaigne to lift the wool from over your eyes in that respect.

What you propose as an addition to the honor code is already in some versions of it-- but, if you are off doing treasure trails you aren't in the right area for that honor code anyways, so you may be mistaken if you think this discussion is pertinent to that situation.

I'm quite well versed in strictly supporting a thesis statement punitive_d, but as you may have noticed yourself in the schools where that was drilled into you... it produces boring and soulless writing. Go read the essays of Emerson and Montaigne to lift the wool from over your eyes in that respect.

Unlike Emerson, I don't find consistency to be foolish -- I find that stream-of-consciousness expression is the hobgoblin of undisciplined minds. I can appreciate the occasional poetic flourish, but I fear that too much poetry is likely to be unappreciated by readers of this forum.

I agree with you that because Runescape is made and played by people, it often tends to illustrate important aspects of real life. For example, the importance of possession to property rights is well illustrated in Runescape. By the same token, the difference between a tree in Runescape and a log in my inventory illustrates well Locke's innovative idea that my "labor" mixes with natural material provided by God to all in common to make something "mine" in a way that mere possession never could. Finally, the way Runescape players follow around a poisoned and dying Avatar illustrates well why Blackstone argued that laws of intestacy are necessary. What does any of this have to do with codes of honor in the wildy, you may ask? That's my point, exactly.

punitivedsig.png

First off, the wilderness has restrictions to make it not completely unfair (eg a lvl 120 attacking a lvl 70). And I think that Runescape is nothing at all like earth; the analogy was strechted. Runescape is a computer game, not like real life. If real life were like runescape, there would be certain areas where anyone can kill anyone close to their age. And I'm fine with 'ermerging gameplay,' just so long as it doesn't change the game to a point where it doesn't become fun. Such as people realizing that they can sell massive amounts of logs to a person who has merchanted enough money to buy the game, so they make a bot to make them some money. This ruins the game for me, as it creates unnecessary competition for recourses such as yew longs, coal ore, and other things. Sure these people are starting a 'company' and hiring 'employees,' but in the end, it makes it hard to walk down the runescape street without being called a noob for my lack of money. Back when I started playing runescape, someone my level would have about as much money as I have now. So as long as your 'emergent gameplay' doesn't change the point (such as myself being harrassed for spending time on leveling, which the game was made for, and not making 4 billion) or fun of the game, I'm fine with it.

Unlike Emerson, I don't find consistency to be foolish -- I find that stream-of-consciousness expression is the hobgoblin of undisciplined minds.

That's not how the quote goes, although it is the way it is often misquoted. Emerson quite clearly is championing a deeper consistency to replace a particular, shallow kind of consistency which he refers to as foolish. I find it quite amusing that you imply some kind of false dichotomy of pedantic academic structure and stream-of-consciousness writing. That's not your run of the mill false dichotomy, those are the extreme tails of the bell curve being presented as the entire distribution.

I agree with you that because Runescape is made and played by people, it often tends to illustrate important aspects of real life.

That's not what I said either, although I suppose I should be flattered that you are placing me in Emerson's company by misquoting us both.

For example, the importance of possession to property rights is well illustrated in Runescape. By the same token, the difference between a tree in Runescape and a log in my inventory illustrates well Locke's innovative idea that my "labor" mixes with natural material provided by God to all in common to make something "mine" in a way that mere possession never could.

I would say that Locke's theories are true in RS and false in RL, due to the relative inexhaustability of natural resources in RS making the statement that all have access to natural materials actually true there.

Finally, the way Runescape players follow around a poisoned and dying Avatar illustrates well why Blackstone argued that laws of intestacy are necessary. What does any of this have to do with codes of honor in the wildy, you may ask? That's my point, exactly.

To answer your question, it has nothing to do with codes of honor in the wilderness, which is why I didn't mention any of those outdated theories in my article. Since the majority of my reply is just corrections of misquotations, I would suggest that we continue this discussion via pm's.

this was an awful article he barley mentioned the argument it was mainly rambling about nothing and comparing rs to earth was the stupidest thing he could have done over all i give him -10/10

i have to agree with this, i sat reading it and doesnt live up to any of the other articles written before. runecape, the real world, permanent skulls, tetris? that is what you call a BIG ramble, and its not good.

IRC.RSCRIPT.ORG #STATS

join us. we dont bite too hard.

i'm new to these forums so i may be a little ... um... i don't know. anyway T thought that the article pretty much captured what i think the wildy is for. Anyone can secound gusse what another person does, it's commen, and it's how most of us learn. i say fight how you want, but i'll be out there ready to kill you, and you kill me. i don't do the hiner codes, but i respect a person who will fight to the death, in a fair fight i do the samething. i say stop secound gusseing pker's and there costoms and k the way you want to.

I have lots of stupid things to say that some dolt out there will think is real wisdom.

"I think I see something..." - The last words of a man who didn't belive in bears.

I thought this article was well written, and I agree with it one hundred percent. If you will permit an old-timer a little reminiscence, I'd like to add to it a little.

The reason "people regard [RSC] as having a more vibrant wilderness [than RS2]" is that most of the people who prefer RSC over RS2 were around during a wilderness makeover, so to speak. First, there was no wilderness, and everyone could be killed at any time. Then, new players started complaining about the mass newb slaughters in Lumbridge, and everyone had to choose whether his/her character was a PKer or not. But that wasn't as cool as the combat areas in other MMORPGs, so the wilderness was created. There wasn't much of a wilderness at the time, and it's original purpose was to allow a killing space that new players wouldn't mind missing out on. At the time this was going on, new players were almost as important as the old ones, because the community was so small. As you can see, the wilderness is no longer just for PKing, and newbs are no longer quite so important. (1 million players!) Jagex created the wilderness and continues to change it solely to keep up with the demands of the RS community. The RSC community liked what they were used to, and when RS2 came out it was only natural for them to prefer to keep the old community and the old way of doing things. It was a different game then, and I miss it in some ways. On the other hand, the current RS wildy is rather awe-inspiring. I think Jagex is doing well in striking the balance betweeen emergent gameplay and imposing restrictions, especially in the wilderness. After all, they hear just as many complaints from players who took 100K into level 33 wilderness as they do from players who want to be allowed to outwit everyone else.

Sir__Robert.png

• 1 month later...

K I sorta agree with Zarfay , this article did ramble on and on. By the end what did i learn? pretty much nothing. Some weird comparisons, like the one between earth and runescape, uhh its a bit diff u know, i dont really carry a battle axe everywhere i go, I also dont do some weird quests to make my uhh "stats" better. But w/e about that comparison, to make the article better you should first make it much shorter, take out just the main points, and uhh yah state what you want to clearly and dont just make it long.