A question for the post secondary people

Lionheart_0

Ok, so im in grade 11, almost grade 12. I will go back to high school for the extra year, i know that for sure.

My dream has always been to become a science teacher, mostly biology. Problem is, marks are not where they should be :| To get into the university i want, i need mid 80's and the max im getting out right now are low 70's.

What is worse is that my lowest marks are my math and physics marks which brings up the problem that to enter science courses in university, i need to have all three sciences (Bio, chem, physics) and have my grade 12 advance functions and calculus. I really doubt i can get the high 70's in calc or physics that i will need (I might be able to pull off advance functions, as it is a 5 week courses stretched over 4 months).

Now since i have come to this road block i have thought about my options.

A. Stop everything and become something that does not require a degree or certification.

B. Go to college instead for something, and go into a career i haven't thought of before.

C.Perhaps pick a new option for university, and then go to teachers college for that.

Now im leaning more towards option C. Thus i bring up my question:

Should i switch everything now over to a new subject, and leave all my sciences and maths, and take on a new one? I was thinking along the lines of something in social sciences, like psychology (Which will get me shunned in the science department). Main reasoning is that ive always been told i could be a good psychologist, and the requirements to get in are not as high (Think i need a 75% average, and the only course i need is English, which i have to take anyways.)

I will eventually go to my guidance councilor for this, so no one say i should get professional help. I just want to hear the opinions of my peers/friends/strangers/public community/ect.

Thank you for reading.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

You can just goto a community college for a year or two to start, can't you? I don't know how it works in Canada, but here you can basically start fresh at a community college and transfer over to a university for a 4 year degree (like teaching) after your first year or two of college.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

You can just goto a community college for a year or two to start, can't you? I don't know how it works in Canada, but here you can basically start fresh at a community college and transfer over to a university for a 4 year degree (like teaching) after your first year or two of college.

I've heard of this being done, but the problem here in Canada is that there is no such thing as starting new. What you do in high school affects your ability to get into colleges and universities for the rest of your life.

Problem though is it will take about 3 more years then it should, thus making me pay more. Teaching is not going to pay that off quickly.

Doubt it will work insane. I could do studying on my own, but the only possible way for me to study and make sure im successful is to lock myself in my room as soon as i come home and study every single minute until bed time, not thinking a single thought about anything but school.

That, of course, doesn't work.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

If you're thinking of option C then have a look at the highest marks you're pulling in. For me, the subjects I enjoyed the most I got the best marks in. It could be the same for you, which in that case, they might present a career to you which you might not have thought about before, but could end up thinking it would be really fulfilling.

If you're thinking of option C then have a look at the highest marks you're pulling in. For me, the subjects I enjoyed the most I got the best marks in. It could be the same for you, which in that case, they might present a career to you which you might not have thought about before, but could end up thinking it would be really fulfilling.

That is a really good idea, and i thought of it as well. The problem is, i can manage to pull in 85+ in computers and even if i go to college for that, i will need to have calculus (Apparently anything that is science or computers requires calc right now).

If it wasn't for the requirement, i for sure would get into that right away. I already am taking my grade 11 and grade 12 computer science courses next year (Taking the grade 11 one cause i couldn't take it this year).

Now my teacher says i could possibly go to college at one of the local ones, and then get into their computer software courses and then go to the university from there, but thats gonna be a freakin long time.... i'll see what i can do though.I might end up going in this direction, just means ill have to save up alot of money.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

If that seems like a good option for you then it might be worth taking up what insane was saying and getting a calculus tutor. You'd only need it for that subject and there's bound to be plenty available, no-one likes that kind of stuff :P It could give you a good boost.

There is always a door open to where you want to walk. You are not looking hard enough. If you want something, you will get it, find other ways even if it takes you longer to get the end result.

You can do anything you want, if you're really prepared to get it.

Take short courses to gain credit, complete year 12 in a tertiary class which ranks higher than completion of high school, pay to re sit a stat exam, study another course at university for a year relating to what you want to study to gain credit into your course the following year, go for a 12 month diploma, use that for credit, hire a tutor, study harder, repeat year 12 there are so many options.

What does it matter how long it takes you to get what you want, so long as you get to your end destination?

Those who really want things, go out of their way to find other means to make the dream possible.

Good luck.

If you're unsure if you can achieve your goal, you will have failed before you begin. Keep that in mind.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Here in the UK if you want to do a teaching qualification but didn't get adequate marks you can do equivalency tests to bring you up to scratch. They're often done at the same time as the teaching qualification.

Perhaps there is a similar thing there.

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell.

I think i have found an answer to one of my problems.

Next year, i could take the college course for math. this would do two things: Make work load easier so i can concentrate on chem and physics, and two it prepares me for advance functions and calc.

It will take me longer to get through maths, but this way i can prepare for the harder maths.

Also i will probably take the route of going through college and then going up to university from there.

Goddess, as much as you say that i should try and take as long as i need, that just isn't possible. Financial help is harder to come by (I doubt im gonna be getting any scholarships), only one of my parents is in work, and the other was our main money source, so were almost poor as a family. This it leaves it all up to me to have to pay for my education. It's not cheep either.... (One year of uni is about 4k)

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Not being a US citizen, I wouldn't know where you are in your academic life. Although, basic calculus is done here at AS Level, which is about 16-17 year olds. Would that be correct?

My first and foremost advice would be not to make a definite decision until you've received your exam marks. I hear it all the time at my college in the UK, "I'm gonna drop subject X, and go for career Y". Well, don't be so stupid. The fact is you can't know what you're good in or what your options are for furthering your education until you actually know your marks, since as these are key for unlocking options.

I would start thinking of a back-up subject. For example, I want to do Medicine in two years at university. However, I need a back-up just in case I fail to get into University. In my case, it's Pharmacy. Make your mind up about what you want to do just in case you can't be a teacher, and wait until your receive your final results before making any rash and hasty decisions regarding your career.

I hope that helps. :)

Ok im gonna put down some info so everyone is on the same page.

I live in Canada, which has two types (Well more, but the types im concerned with) of post secondary schools. One is a college, which will lead one to go more directly towards works, and gets people certificates more then degrees. It is impossible to become stuff like engineers or doctors if one goes through college (well college alone at least). University is for continuing education, and leading to the high up and big paying jobs.

For teaching here in Canada, one must have a teaching license from a teachers college. To be accepted into these institutes, one must have at least a 4 years bachelors degree. Thus College is not an option alone if i wish to go to teachers college.

Now calculus here is considered a grade 12 university course (Meaning it can lead me into university or college, as a opposed to a college course which i can only go to college with). If i can switch up my plans a bit, i can come back for a 5th year of high school (being my total 13th year),and take more courses then.

When a college/university looks at marks, they look at the total average marks for the two semesters prior to the date of application.

BTW, these these are the two post secondary schools i wish to go to:

The college Mohawk

The university

McMaster

They are both inside my city, and the main reasoning behind going to them is that they are here and will not cost me for residence since i can just live at home.

The next closest is going somewhere like St. Cathrines or Toronto.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Next year, i could take the college course for math. this would do two things: Make work load easier so i can concentrate on chem and physics, and two it prepares me for advance functions and calc.

It will take me longer to get through maths, but this way i can prepare for the harder maths.

Isn't that just what I suggested? lol I guess you don't call it TAFE or a diploma in your country.

I work full time and study full time, like I said, you can do anything if you really want something.

If I can put in over 80 hours a week from determination, you can too if you're motivated enough to do it.

Failure doesn't happen over night. Failure happens from a few small errors of judgement every day. Correct the errors.

You can sit there and go 'well i dont have the money' or 'i cant take longer' the fact is, why waste time with excuses when you can do something about it.

Not being nasty but if I can do it so can you.

I failed year 12 the first time around because I didn't try and was happy working a crap job, only to go back and graduate in the top 15% of the state. All you need is will power and to really want something.

Not to blow anything out of my arse, as that is probably what it is screaming to you, but I'm just trying to let you see that you can always get what you want, if you keep trying.

Do you think 90% of university students can afford each week or something? lol most of them sacrifice up to 7 years or more of their life, scraping in the poverty line and reheating their left overÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s until they can make the big dollars.

Even though I work a lot more hours a week than most uni students, you would still probably find my bank savings amusing.

It is an expensive world to live in, welcome to life.

Make do with what you have and wake each morning with the pure satisfaction that you're doing what you really wanted to do in life.

That to me, is worth more than money ever could.

If you need someone to talk to, you can pm me for my msn, sometimes just talking about things helps you make your own mind up.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

The next closest is going somewhere like St. Cathrines or Toronto.

I go to Brock, and they're pretty reasonable with letting people in with low 70's. You should at least try to apply to Brock for a "lesser" program, and then apply to switch programs in your second year.

My friend went to Brock with a 70s average, got into Recreation and Leisure (what is considered the easiest program academically). He got decent marks, and applied for Business, and got in. He's now doing a business degree with a specialty in Finance and he isn't the least bit behind - your first your credits just go towards your electives and your last three years are heavy.

As far as Calculus being required, it definitely is. If you are in any general science or math degree, you will be required to take university level calculus courses, and they are not easy. I am a computer science major and we are required to take math major calculus as just about every area in computer science relies on calculus. I hated it at first, but by the end of my calculus courses, I liked it so much that I want to be a calculus teacher and so I'm getting math as my second teachable.

So I guess my suggestion to you is, attend a university as an undeclared major, take general courses, see what you like, and switch into that program. Make sure you work your hiney off at university though.

As far as taking longer, don't worry about it. Once you get to university you'll have fourth year students in first year classes (for electives), people starting degrees in their 30s, etc. Everybody becomes peers when you're at university.

As far as money is concerned, just get OSAP. Interest free loans until you get your degree. Nothing better.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Ya, Brock was another i was thinking about, mostly cause i was planning on going there for teachers college anyways (And their website says the faculty of education mostly operates in the campus at Hamilton, and being that where i live, would be awesome!).

How good would you say their Computer program is? Because that is my second option besides biology or general sciences.

Thinking about it, taking this extra math course next year just might allow me to study enough that i will get higher marks in the grade 12 classes.

Now if only i could do algebra alot better :oops: (Having troubles with trig equations as we speak.)

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

I didn't even take algebra in high school. I dropped it and focussed on calc (got an 85). It was my only 12U math course.

I'm in Brock's Computer Science Program. It's decent, I mean, I'm working a $19/hr job as a co-op right now and I've only finished 2 years of it so yeah, it'll get you the money like most computer science degrees.

The good thing is that the computer science program is getting better every year. Brock has been rapidly expanding in size and quality the past few years (ie. brand new $23million building), and the computer science department introduced a Masters in Computer Science degree last year, and enrollment has doubled for the upcoming semester.

The (yes, there are bad things about it, like most programs) bad thing about the program is because it is expanding so quickly, they are often short-staffed and need to get grad students to teach some courses, which is hit-and-miss. Graduate students tend to either be really good at teaching, or just awful.

But yeah, it's getting better by the minute, and it's treating me just fine. If you can get into the co-op program, do it.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I didn't even take algebra in high school. I dropped it and focussed on calc (got an 85). It was my only 12U math course.

:o :shock: My math teacher said calc cant be done without algebra. very odd.

Oh does anyone have study tips, especially in math?

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

:o :shock: My math teacher said calc cant be done without algebra. very odd.

Oh does anyone have study tips, especially in math?

Lol, your math teacher is trying to scare you. I got a 90% in calculus and the course was a province-wide standard math course (meaning I get the same mark if I take calc at waterloo).

Study tips in math? Practice. Take your math book, and do every question at the end of every chapter. I know it sounds brutal, but it works.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Ahh, i get this sometimes. I thought it would be cool to become an astronomer, but it requires very high education, and im not doing too well at school at the moment. I dont really know whether i am old enough to give you this sort of advice since as im only in year ten, but id say try and get to be what you want, then if you start to see it isnt working, try to train to get in the same field with a different job, which doesnt need as much education.

Actually Lionheart, I think you misunderstood your teacher.

Algebra the 12U course is irrelevant to calculus, however, knowing basic grade ten algebra (simplifying, factoring, etc) is absolutely essential. You need to be able to factor and simply all kinds of functions instinctively to be successful in calculus.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Actually Lionheart, I think you misunderstood your teacher.

Algebra the 12U course is irrelevant to calculus, however, knowing basic grade ten algebra (simplifying, factoring, etc) is absolutely essential. You need to be able to factor and simply all kinds of functions instinctively to be successful in calculus.

Ah, i see now. Well yes, i would not do so well in calculus at the moment. The thing is, with math i just dont see everything like others do. I was always good with the basic and intermediate stuff, but now since we have gotten into this trig and other types of equations, there are so many ways to answer questions that i wouldn't even know where to start. For example, there was a question i couldn't do at all today. The teacher did it on the board... 3 times, cause there were three totally different ways to solve the question. None of them were even apparent to me.

Oh, it's changing for next year insane. They used to have an advance functions course mixed in with calculus, now they are changing it so calculus is a separate course, and it's prerequisites is the advance functions. Ergo, one can not take calc untill they take advance functions.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

I think that is a good idea. Understanding functions and operations on functions should be second nature before attempting calculus.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Ah, i see now. Well yes, i would not do so well in calculus at the moment. The thing is, with math i just dont see everything like others do. I was always good with the basic and intermediate stuff, but now since we have gotten into this trig and other types of equations, there are so many ways to answer questions that i wouldn't even know where to start.

You need to do high school maths before even attempting university calculus. Its recommended at my university to take the advance maths course but the standard maths is definitely a pre-requisite; they even have a maths centre for people who do standard maths to help them up to standard.

I think the best thing you can do is apply for a related course, or a course that allows you to take maths/science classes. You can treat the degree as if you were doing a science degree, and if you like university and get decent marks you can transfer into the degree you want with all the credits from the first degree. The hardest part of university is getting in, transferring is much easier if you have a decent record.