Need help with server Crontabs

eyehawk78

Basically I need to execute a file on my server every 30 seconds and I have been told I can do this using Crontabs.

Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? A possibly give me an explanation of how best to set it up?

Thanks, Eye

Cronjobs not tabs. Every 30 seconds tho!!! Server strain or what...

What exactly are you trying to do and who is your hosting provider. You will need to set this up via their hosting control panel.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Basically I have a script that reads in the amount of users on a server and finds the one which is gaining the most users at that point in time.

I will need to find out who my server provider is off the head admin.

Basically I have a script that reads in the amount of users on a server and finds the one which is gaining the most users at that point in time.

I will need to find out who my server provider is off the head admin.

believe me when I tell you that you don't want to be running that script every 30 seconds.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Even if you do get it running, you'll be hitting the website 2,880 times a day and that won't sit well with Jagex. You'll stand out like crazy in their usage statistics and will most likely end up blocked from the site for the automated hits.

believe me when I tell you that you don't want to be running that script every 30 seconds.

Do you think its possible with Bandwidth restrictions if I only took reading every 5 minutes?

AFAIK Jagex don't like people accessing more than once a day.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Everything needs to be done in a one-request-per-click fashion. Meaning it is only allowed to update when a person clicks it.

Now, if you did it every random amount of time between 3 minutes and 5 minutes, then you would probably never get caught ... that doesn't make within the rules though.

However, without knowing the platform you're on, there isn't much help to be offered for commands. There is a very good chance you don't have to talk to anyone as long as you have ftp access (which if it's your server you do.)

If it can't be done from the command line, it can't be done. If you can run it once, you can automate it.

Mastermule52.png

The refuge that you built to flee that places that you've come to fear the most ... is the place that you have come to fear the most.

Operator - http://www.heartunit.org

Council - http://z8.invisionfree.com/skillaz

Moderator - http://forum.meebo.com

Cronjobs not tabs.

Crontab is the service which runs each individual cronjob, it was an honest mistake :P

if your host/server has cPanel or something similar installed, there is an easy to use cron setup script in there (if you are allowed access to cron)

if you have shell access , I can help you set it up , but seriously , as others have said , don't hit Jagex' servers often through an automated means, they WILL blacklist your server and render any and all tools useless.

This is why we only have calculators and planners that update on user request and we try to use cookies to store that info as much as possible.

I'd love to write a script that allowed users to get instant automatic stat updates on our website from the highscores list, but we'd start killing runescape.com and jagex would kick me in the face :P

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Maybe I should find a monkey and pay it to click refresh every 5 minutes then! :XD:

I'm gonna give it a try, if I get blacklisted I'll accept it. Better to try rather than just assume its not gonna work.

Eye